Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:36:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Montana Cans spray paints  (Read 1597 times)

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
Montana Cans spray paints
« on: June 02, 2017, 01:49:13 PM »
https://www.montana-cans.com/en/

has anyone used these before? I spotted them in Hobbycraft while I'm stuck in Telford (god this place is a dump) and noticed a wide array of funky colours. but they seem to be for graffiti "artists" (if vandalism is art) and the staff had no idea if they were suitable for models or if regular acrylic paints will cover them.

anyone used them?

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Montana Cans spray paints
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »
I have used them once. The coverage was okay, but the stink was much worse than normal - definitely outdoor use only.

I used them to base coat some Mantic scenery, which I weathered with cheap craft acrylics, and there was no problem (apart from the smell, have I mentioned that they smell ;D)

You can get a set of nozzles for them that give you different spray patterns, but I decided that they stunk up the house too much to try a second time :(

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 05:32:05 PM »
I have used them for a business project last year.

I found them OK - but not great.

For the price, I would suggest there are better alternatives available.

For example Homebase have been selling of spray cans for just £2.50 as the labelling has been changed and they want to get rid of the older style health warning labelling.

Tony

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 06:03:18 PM »
 I'd agree, they were ok, if they're cheap why not? As mentioned though I'd say don't use indoors, they're pretty pungent. Molotov brand artists cans are pretty good, a decent range of colours & around a fiver for 400ml where I am.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:48:58 AM »
only OK hey...well its not like I can do much at the minute with them. but good to know.
I'll keep an eye open for Molotov ones or look online. Telford has very little to offer in terms of shops that are open...never mind artist and hobby stores

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »
only OK hey...well its not like I can do much at the minute with them. but good to know.
I'll keep an eye open for Molotov ones or look online. Telford has very little to offer in terms of shops that are open...never mind artist and hobby stores

The the model shop still open in Wellington?

And don't forget that in November you have the Worlds Largest Model Show at Scale Model World.

Tony

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 03:08:11 PM »
The the model shop still open in Wellington?

And don't forget that in November you have the Worlds Largest Model Show at Scale Model World.

Tony
No idea. Once I lost my home I hoped I'd never see this dump again. Telford is like a rotting open wound on society with some of most vile people I ever met. I just want out. Now.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 06:56:11 AM »
I've used them in the past to prime fast with coloured paints....worked well enough. Main downsides are the smell (it is horrible) and that they're quite hydrophobic, making painting them a bit of a chore. But they have great colours and cover well.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 08:42:09 AM »
One thing I noticed with the Montana Bomber cans, is that the pigment amount in them is much higher than normal. Which is great when you want good coverage over concrete and brick (probably as quickly as possible too), but not so much when spraying miniatures.

I had a batch of miniatures that, with the normal undercoat spraying technique, were covered in so much goop, I had to strip them again, as all detail was simply drowned in paint.

So a bit more distance and faster movement of the spray over the models should do the trick I think. However; I never touched the cans again, simply because I have more suitable replacements on hand.

For terrain, I suppose they're well suited though; less tiny details...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »
Properly handled - takes a little practice - Montana paint and the differing spray nozzles offer a good alternative.  Expensive paints, however.  Very expensive.  Color options however much better than the cheaper options - and much easier to achieve a flat finish.  Most rattle cans are either satin or gloss, hard to find true flats except for basic primer colors.

As to using spray paints indoors?  Are you crazy!  The aerosolized particles can hang in the air forever and cause severe health issues - and not just to you the painter but to other members of the household breathing the air.  Please, always use spray paints out of doors with excellent ventilation and with proper safety gear.  Or, if you must use them indoors, use a proper painting box with air removal features to vent the fumes outside.

Offline Rotorcraft

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 02:58:14 PM »
Stay away from them.

As I'm from Madrid and Montana it's a Spanish brand, I bought some cans as a cheap alternative to the overpriced hobby sprays... what a mistake, the paint it's so thick that it'll remove the detail of the miniature, I had to strip after spray them.

I will keep them as a terrain primer, nothing more.

Regards.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:21:33 AM by Rotorcraft »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 11:57:19 PM »
For terrain and other heavy duty projects these are great. Anyone who tried to remove a grafiti from a wall can say how sturdy this kind of paint is  lol

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 05:39:15 AM »
I'm using it to paint my 15 mm rolling stock, the Gold version of the cans.  Not planning to use on actual minis.  Has many uses beyond graffiti.  And here in California the laws prevent minors from purchasing rattle cans of paint.  Somehow, plenty of 'tagging' as its called happens, especially on railroad cars.  Hmm, ironic.  I'm using it to paint 19th century rail cars and here in the 21st century its also used to abuse rail cars.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 12:42:11 PM »
I'll stick to army painter then I think. safest option

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 06:54:16 AM »
Army Painter and safest option in one sentence is funny lol. I've had so much problems with AP rattle cans...I honestly think they're terrible.