Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:47:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My eight-year old son's first tabletop game  (Read 3624 times)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
My eight-year old son's first tabletop game
« on: March 17, 2009, 02:08:07 PM »
Hi Guys,

My eight-year old son Ben, like any hot-blooded young boy, thinks all of this stuff is really cool.  He's spent lots of time on game nights watching, "organizing" models and terrain, or sitting under the table playing his Nintendo DS.  However, after supper yesterday, he decided to try a game.

I had bought the Songs of Blades and Heroes rules specifically for this purpose (although, the guys have shown interest as well).  We played a generic game using space marine models (long ignored on the top shelf) vs a force of plague zombies.

Ben selected a force of 6 space marines. We used the stats for human archers (Q:3+, C:3, shooter-long).

I used two chaos space marines (same as above), and a horde of 12 plague zombies (Q:4+, C:2).

Nasty plague-induced zombies approach the space marine line.

Ben moves the marines onto the hill.

An aerial view of the action

Space marines unload their bolt gunners as the zombies draw near.

The remaining chaos force flees the table.  Space marine losses = 0

What can I say?  If you're a father, nothing makes you more giddy than watching your child push the models around the table.  I'm hoping this is the start of something good.  I will also advise others here with children of the same age, SBH is a great ruleset.  Because it doesn't have a rigid turn sequence, a kid can concentrate on one model at a time, and choose the order of the actions.  Furthermore, the three set measurements (for which I've made three sticks, red, blue, and yellow) facilitates gameplay and dispenses with the need for finicky measurement.

Later,
A glowing JET

P.S. My wife took a few great shots of us playing, but Ben wore no shirt (as usual), and my paranoia about pedafiles and perverts stalking the internet stalled me from posting them.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 02:09:49 PM by jet »

Offline dusser

• Librarian
    • http://hodgepodgelodger.blogspot.com/
Re: My eight-year old son's first tabletop game
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »
Awesome!  I know the feeling well, though mine aren't so little anymore and game in virtual worlds as opposed to the tabletop.  Congratulations to you and Ben!   :D

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:57:20 PM »
Good stuff.
Its a sad world when you feel you can't post a pic of your own kids, but I have to agree with you and say that I do the same.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »
Sounds like a great game, jet :)

I'm still at the stand them up and she makes up the rules as she goes along stage with my eldest.  They usually end up going to the shops to buy milk for their cornflakes, or something similar!  Can't wait until we can have a proper game! :)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:33:03 PM »
How did SBH work with little ones? I've got a children's club where i've promised some of the  9-11 year olds a game, and thought of using it SBH because it's relatively easy to get into - did it go fine?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »
Great stuff, Jet :D

Mind you, you do realise that your time for painting etc will now be even further reduced as the young'un will be asking for a game at every oportunity.......

I know from experience, after introducing my lad to the wonderful world of "Lord of the Rings" gaming  lol

Sadly I now have to play him at 40K  :(

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »
I have played a few games of SB&H with my seven-year old son, also.  He grasps the basics of the rules.  As noted, each figure is activated separately, completes its actions, then you move on to another figure (good for distractable kids). I think 9-11 year olds would do fine with it.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:15:15 PM »
thats great! a good bonding expreance for the both of you. And its good to get them started young. that way there will be a new generation of gamers to push some lead around.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »
Great looking figures. Game looks like it was a lot of fun. I have been spending the last two days building terrain with my 14 year old son. He has been building razor wire lines; tank obstacles; etc. He has also been helping me base and dullcoat about 100 trees, as well as over 100 Wild West figures; another 40+ odds and ends figures for Pulp gaming, jungle gaming, etc. and a pile of terrain pieces - chairs, tables, wild west farm equipment, etc.

I feel like I have accomplished a ton of stuff. Oh, and I have also finished painting another 8 Wild West figures. I love it when the kids want to help all for the good cause of eventually enjoying a game with their dear old dad. Keep up the great work with your son...a perfect age to get them gaming!!
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 11:49:20 PM »
Well, it turns out I've created a monster.  As soon as homework was finished - "Let's go downstairs and play another game!"  We played a "take and hold" type mission this time, with his 6 space marines taking on my 6 chaos space marines.  Needless to say, he won (again), and I'm not even letting him win here  :? .  As he put it, "I can't believe I beat you twice, and you're a professional!"  lol

Anyway, this time I introduced him to the rules for difficult terrain.  He also started asking questions like, "Why isn't my leader any better than the other guys."  It's time to take him full into the rules I think.  I also explained to him about the Fantasy vs. Sci Fi thing, so we'll try out a game.

To answer your question digit, the game works awesome with kids, so much so, it could actually be marketed that way.  I'm actually going to try playing Impetus with him soon as well.  I'm hoping that after playing a while, he may develop an interest in turning his hand to painting a few models.  I'll have to turn my attention that way soon.

JET   

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:02:42 AM »
That's such a beautiful thing! :D I think I only convinced my Dad to play 40k with me once and after that he didn't want to play another game again (except RISK once or twice with Mum and I). Anyway, that is a great thing to share with your kid :) That really made my day.