Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:52:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690662
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's 15th century - Some long-overdue Burgundians! (Feb 28)  (Read 154868 times)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - bits and bobs on the workbench (April 19)
« Reply #405 on: April 20, 2021, 11:04:08 AM »
The conversions are really top notch stuff! Big fan of the green-stuff additions to the Perry kits as well, the riding boots especially give them a very 'continental' sort of feel with the Ordonnance companies!

Nice work as well integrating the Foundry sculpts too! Looking forward to seeing them painted up!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #406 on: April 20, 2021, 07:19:29 PM »
What's your scheme color for flesh?

For flesh, I start with a basecoat of dark brown, then GW Bugman's Glow covering everything but the eyes, mouth, between the fingers and any other deep recesses.
Then a few highlight stages mixing in Vallejo game colour Elf Flesh. Usually three highlight stages. The last highlight is almost pure elf flesh. Then a wash of Vallejo Flesh Wash, which is a nice warm reddish brown - it blends the highlight stages together nicely. I make sure the last flesh highlight is quite severe - before the wash it makes them look pale and skeletal, the wash smooths and balances it all out - if the last highlight stage wasn't light enough, the wash can make it all too dark and smooth.

Also, where are those heads on the french pikemen/polearm conversions from?

Well spotted! The two headswaps come from Foundry figures.... The one on the left is from the WOTR range, the one on the right from the Swiss range. The middle one has kept hit original head.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #407 on: April 20, 2021, 07:21:23 PM »
Fantastic conversions on all those figures.   :-* :-* :-*  Looking forward to seeing them painted in the fullness of time, but in the emantime good luck with teh house move.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #408 on: April 23, 2021, 04:56:53 PM »
Wonderful work and amazing collection.
That's what i like in our hobby !
 :-*

Re-Animator Approved  ;)
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline GulKelan

• Librarian
« Reply #409 on: April 24, 2021, 04:48:06 PM »
your conversions are simply stunning Charlie!!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - more French infantry (May 17)
« Reply #410 on: May 17, 2021, 10:14:41 PM »
Finally got this unit finished at last.

It's another unit of French ordonnance archers, the first of which can be seen back on page 25 (link).

Like the first unit, this is a mix of Perry WOTR plastics and Crusader Miniatures metals, both with their bows replaced by those from the Perry HYW range, which look much better. I think this units looks much better than the first - I have given more of them new riding boots (sculpted by Graham Green, as detailed in my previous post) and two of them have new mail shirts added under their livery jackets. I've also given them a few heavily armoured men with polearms - in games terms they will just be treated like any other archer unit, but the extra armour and weapons make them look like a more well-rounded unit capable of handling themselves at close quarters.

And three of them, including the captain, are converted Wargames Foundry sculpts, also done by the Perrys way back in the late 80s I think. I gave them new plastic legs to make them taller so they mix in with the rest of the unit - I think its been successful!

Also, the standard bearer is from the new Athena Miniatures WOTR range.

And here are some shots of the Foundry conversions. I extended the hems of their coats to cover the join. I generally hate sculpting but did quite enjoy doing these and think they came off well - perhaps I'll dare to do more in the future.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #411 on: May 17, 2021, 11:00:12 PM »
Very nice

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #412 on: May 17, 2021, 11:07:53 PM »
Top work Charlie. Well done  :-*

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #413 on: May 18, 2021, 07:01:28 AM »
Excellent conversions and some great painting as well.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #414 on: May 18, 2021, 07:10:58 AM »

And three of them, including the captain, are converted Wargames Foundry sculpts, also done by the Perrys way back in the late 80s I think. I gave them new plastic legs to make them taller so they mix in with the rest of the unit - I think its been successful!

Really effective conversions. I have been tinkering with something similar for some dumpy Romans but they are plastic figures, much braver to chop up metals!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #415 on: May 18, 2021, 08:57:40 AM »
Great work! The Foundry conversions turned out really well, they blend in seamlessly!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #416 on: May 18, 2021, 07:27:48 PM »
Thanks all!

Great work! The Foundry conversions turned out really well, they blend in seamlessly!

Yes I'm really chuffed with how they've turned out. I'll probably do some more of them in the future, it's just a question of finding suitable Foundry sculpts that will take the leg transplants!

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #417 on: May 18, 2021, 11:02:02 PM »
Excellent work Charlie, I like the addition of the arrows on the archers nocking.

Offline Ronin1978

• Schoolboy
« Reply #418 on: May 21, 2021, 12:51:11 PM »
Ciao !
Lavoro grandioso.
Quello che più mi colpisce è il tuo schema di colorazione , semplice all'apparenza ma molto realistico e opaco sembra che tu dia un unico colore ma si avvertono tutte le profondità dei volumi delle miniature .
Mi piacerebbe molto dipingere così senza troppi stacchi tre i punti di luce e d'ombra cioè naturale .

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - some mounted crossbowmen (June 2)
« Reply #419 on: June 02, 2021, 10:49:55 PM »
Something small today, the finished unit of mounted crossbowmen I started a while ago.

These are supposed to be generic-looking, and will probably be used as Germans, or some other troops on the 'Burgundian' side (could be Swiss, Flemish, other Low Countries, etc).

Three of them are the metal Perry Italian crossbowmen (one with a headswap), and one is a Perry plastic - these are all designed to go on the plastic Perry horses, but i put them on the smaller metal horses that come with the WOTR metal light cavalry. I needed to sculpt the rear part of the saddles from scratch to do this. The last one, on the palomino horse, is a conversion I previewed earlier - he is a Wargames Foundry figure with new Perry plastic legs, and a new right hand holding a crossbow.

I also tried out a new light cavalry basing arrangement for them - they use the Renedra plastic 'artillery bases', which measure 65x90mm. One with two figures, one with three, for a unit of five. I kind of wish i'd done my earlier light cavalry like this....