Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:28:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's 15th century - Some long-overdue Burgundians! (Feb 28)  (Read 155525 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Charlie's 15th century - A new hobby space (July 24)
« Reply #690 on: July 25, 2023, 11:17:46 AM »
Jolly nice Charlie  8)
And very tidy - like your modelling and painting!

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #691 on: July 25, 2023, 07:54:07 PM »
Thats a really nice attic space there, maybe in need of a touch of Chaos  lol

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #692 on: July 26, 2023, 06:30:15 AM »
Don't worry everybody, once I've had a chance to start using it, it'll soon end up nicely cluttered and chaotic!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - On the (new) workbench (Oct 23)
« Reply #693 on: October 23, 2023, 11:20:40 PM »
https://fullharness.blogspot.com/

On the (new) workbench...

It's been a few months again, but here's a small update to show you what I've been working on.

First of all, it's really a game-changer to have a new dedicated hobby room, and a desk with all my tools, brushes, paints and everything else I need right in front of me!

So what's on the new workbench? I've been getting back into painting infantry figures for upcoming units - the plan is to have several new units of both French and Burgundians, in both advancing/attacking and standing/defending poses. Most of what follows are for the first French unit. I'll show you some of the current highlights, most of which are conversions of some form or other. I'm also really pleased with how my painting has been progressing in terms of neatness and consistency, and the colours I'm using. Having said that, one batch of these did have a bit of a strange experience with my spray primer - it gave them quite a rough texture for some reason, which is most notable on the helmets and other metallic parts on a few of them.

First off, this is a pair of conversions I'm really pleased with. Perry plastics, with new riding boots sculpted on, along with new mail shirts beneath their livery jackets. I didn't do the sculpting myself, they were a commission job, and It's not the first time I've had these same conversions done. These two though look just right I think - the idea is for them to be well-equipped dismounted 'archers' or coustilliers of the compagnies d'ordonnance. The arms of the sword-and-buckler one were created from cutting and re-combining different plastic pieces.

Next, some Perry plastics with 3D-printed heads from the Warsteel Miniatures Swiss kickstarter that ran last year. They are a good match as you can see.

Two more sword-and-buckler men. The one on the right uses arms from the Agincourt set (plus another 3D-printed head), the one on the left is simply a metal standard bearer with a buckler instead of a flag in his left hand.

Next up are some examples of the bodies which were sculpted by Talos Miniatures, which since earlier this year have been available in metal from Steel Fist Miniatures. They were designed to be combined with Perry plastic heads and arms, as I've done here (though one of the heads is actually from Steel Fist). Another sword-and-buckler man using the same arm conversions from the first pic. These are very nice sculpts, and it's been great to finally get some paint on them. They are full of excellent detail, just look at those buckles!

A couple of metal standard bearers next.... The one on the left has one of my swappable heraldic banners, the one on the right is yet to receive his flag.

And a couple of metal polearm men, both with headswaps (of course). The one on the left is a conversion I've done once before - he originally had a shouldered weapon, but new hands and turning his head to the left gives him a new pose and role.

These are two plastics conversions I did years back, and they're being rebased to fit into the new units. Leg swaps - quite easy to do with plastics, giving them both new poses.

And finally another leg-swap conversion, this time a metal figure from Eureka given new plastic legs, to change him from an advancing to stationary pose. This one must be where the primer mishap is most evident.... let's just say his armour is unpolished, rough from the hammer!

There should be some more updates between now and Christmas, with some quite exciting news I'm keen to share soon, and these figures will be getting based into their units before too long!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #694 on: October 23, 2023, 11:31:57 PM »
Nicely done  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #695 on: October 24, 2023, 12:49:48 AM »
Great painting and kitbashing, I’m super happy to see my sculpts being put to good use!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #696 on: October 24, 2023, 03:41:51 PM »
They all look great. Where did you pick up that spear on the last figure?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #697 on: October 24, 2023, 06:47:51 PM »
Nice work charlie  :-*

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #698 on: October 24, 2023, 10:34:50 PM »
All rather splendid!

Offline magyar

• Bookworm
« Reply #699 on: October 25, 2023, 05:46:52 PM »
Charlie,
Lovely conversions, great poses! I especially liked the sword-and-buckler guy sporting riding boots.
And - green with envy re. your workbench  ;)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #700 on: October 25, 2023, 06:59:39 PM »
Thanks for posting these, Charlie.  The conversions work well and the painting is beautiful.  These will help inspire me for my own project.  But I don't think your tidy room will inspire me to tidy my own room just yet!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #701 on: October 26, 2023, 09:22:52 AM »
Great work! The conversions work great, especially for the sword-and-buckler men!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - I commissioned some miniatures! (Nov 19)
« Reply #702 on: November 19, 2023, 09:56:41 AM »
https://fullharness.blogspot.com/

I commissioned some miniatures!

Exciting news - I have commissioned a set of miniatures, and just a few days ago they arrived.

These were sculpted by the very talented Yannis from Talos Miniatures in Greece - you can follow his work on his Instagram page here. I'm not the only one who has commissioned sculpts from him - there are various other interesting late 15th century and early 16th century things he's working on. He also made the bodies released earlier this year by Steel Fist Miniatures, designed to be compatible with Perry plastic heads and arms. These were of course what gave me and others the idea of commissioning similar things. He was extremely easy to work with, and I'm pleased to say what we have here isn't the end of our collaboration!

They are cast in resin, which is actually something I haven't worked with before. It holds the detail very well, better than metal - I think I'm going to be enjoy working with and painting it.

What I wanted was more infantry equipped with polearms. I decided the best way to go was for full bodies with arms, empty-handed to accept various different weapons. We didn't do any heads, as of course I have a ton of spare plastic Perry heads to use with them. Separate heads would have been wonderful, but I decided for my budget to go for more bodies instead.

Yannis made several polearms - I wanted them mostly to be glaives of various shapes, which is what I got, plus a couple of more unusual weapons! You will notice something interesting about the polearms - they are cast in resin but with a thin metal rod inside to strengthen them. As you know, metal spears bend, and I didn't want resin weapons to bend or snap or anything like that. This way of doing it seems to make them really robust and strong.

We also got separate sidearms - swords (including a couple of falchions/messers) and a few bucklers.

So here are the nine finished miniatures, combined with plastic Perry heads.

Three are in front rank poses, and six are 'second-rankers'. Of course the idea is to mix these in with Perry miniatures (and other things) in large units, and I will be mixing the parts between the different ranges more than we see here - these polearms will also end up in Perry hands for example.

There's lots more I could say about them, but I think I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves!!!

I'll have a more detailed post about them in a week perhaps, and with a bit of luck I'll get some paint on them before Christmas!

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #703 on: November 19, 2023, 03:57:42 PM »
Fabulous!

We all want them, of course! 😋

Cheers
JJ

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #704 on: November 19, 2023, 06:53:58 PM »
They look awesome. I also just got my commissioned bellows faced sallets from Talos on Thursday. And I'll eco that they looks nice and crisp.

Can't wait to get started on them.