Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:01:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's 15th century - Some long-overdue Burgundians! (Feb 28)  (Read 155121 times)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Great work! And thanks for showing off the compatibility between the Perry and SF ranges!

Silly question but how'd you do the plumes for your two liveried Men-At-Arms? Lately I've just been cannibalising feathers from the Perry Swiss heads

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Fantastic conversion work and some great painting as usual. Nice mix up of the two ranges, especially using the horses, which gives much greater range of poses.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Top drawer Charlie  :-*

Are the plumes from the Steel Fist plume pack and/or the Swiss Front Ranker pack/s?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Most of your works remind oil paintings, so well done!  :-* Many congrats!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Hi
Really love the variations that you've got with the mounted figures - they look spot on and always good to have create some unique figures in units.
Very impressive armies coming along.
Cheers, Simon

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Loving the cavalry! Some great standards there

Cheers
Matt

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
Silly question but how'd you do the plumes for your two liveried Men-At-Arms? Lately I've just been cannibalising feathers from the Perry Swiss heads

Are the plumes from the Steel Fist plume pack and/or the Swiss Front Ranker pack/s?

The plumes on the two French men at arms are from LAF's very own painterman, who I believe had them cast up for his Burgundians several years back. I don't know if he's got any left, though you're welcome to ask him!

Note that the big feathers on the German horseman are not separate, the head being from the SF Swiss front rankers.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
The plumes on the two French men at arms are from LAF's very own painterman, who I believe had them cast up for his Burgundians several years back. I don't know if he's got any left, though you're welcome to ask him!

Note that the big feathers on the German horseman are not separate, the head being from the SF Swiss front rankers.

Thanks Charlie. I'll ask Simon today :)

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
Enjoyed reviewing this entire thread.  The early posts are outstanding, and then with the figures transforming for the Burgundian War of Succession is excellent.  I look forward to seeing more.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
These are great. I'm looking to do some late 15th century Armies that are just "mercenary" in nature after my ww2 project, and this is great inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Hunlion

• Librarian
Hi Charlie,

So I would like to ask have you fixed on a base size for your units.  10 or 12 figures to an Infantry unit? Mounted 8 or 10 or even 12 to a unit. Light cavalry?

Thanks in advance.

Hunlion

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
Awesome stuff Charlie. Really looking forward to the massive additions you will add this time!

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
Hi Charlie,

So I would like to ask have you fixed on a base size for your units.  10 or 12 figures to an Infantry unit? Mounted 8 or 10 or even 12 to a unit. Light cavalry?

Thanks in advance.

Hunlion

Do you mean units or bases? The units are much bigger than you mentioned, my cavalry units are 16, 18 or 20 strong. All based individually but using my own custom-designed unit trays.
Light cavalry are based 2 on a 50x100mm base, usually 10 (5 bases) in a unit. I'll have a finished unit of light cavalry to show you in a few weeks hopefully.
I don't have any set unit sizes, my rules allow any size units, from small to very large - roughly in multiples of 5. 1 'unit strength' points for every 5 infantry, or 2 for every 5 cavalry. So 40 infantry or 20 cavalry is unit strength 8. The 16 and 18 strong cavalry I mentioned are rounded up from 15 or 17.5 (i.e. unit strength 6 and unit strength 7).
This current cavalry phase should be wrapped up this summer - I'd like to say in a few weeks, but more likely a month or so. Then I will showcase all the finished/rearranged French and Burgundian cavalry units. Then it will be giving horses a break for a while, and time to start some French infantry!

Offline Hunlion

• Librarian
Thanks, Charlie for the information.  I will be following your further adventures with your projects with great interest. Keep us all posted, please.

HunLion

Online Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
It's been ages since I commented on this thread, but not from lack of interest.

It's just wonderful to see such a beautiful collection of miniatures. I love your cavalry. Painting all that infantry is... scary!  :o And the flags just pop really nice.  :-*

I think you are going to need a bigger table though...  ;)