Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:43:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's 15th century - Some long-overdue Burgundians! (Feb 28)  (Read 152617 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - two more commanders (July 20)
« Reply #435 on: July 21, 2021, 06:21:42 PM »
Lovely work Charlie  :-*

Fab stuff all 'round but there's nothing quite like a well painted white horse to set off a base.  8)

Always great to see someone really digging into their own research too.

I was wondering, for future reference for me too, what other sources other then Philip de Commynes have you used?

Thanks Darrell, yes a white horse does do wonders - takes longer to paint, I've found it can only be done with lots of careful layered highlights, no shortcuts, but it's worth the effort. For some reason I'd put off painting white horses for ages until recently, I'm mixing more lighter coloured horses into the collection these days.

For my research, might I suggest you look at my other thread here, where all will be explained - there's a further link to all my sources there.
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131098.msg1662863#msg1662863

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #436 on: July 22, 2021, 07:15:21 AM »
Thanks Darrell, yes a white horse does do wonders - takes longer to paint, I've found it can only be done with lots of careful layered highlights, no shortcuts, but it's worth the effort. For some reason I'd put off painting white horses for ages until recently, I'm mixing more lighter coloured horses into the collection these days.

They are well worth the time and effort. Next to grey dappled they are my favourite. They just "sing" out loud in a unit and are the perfect way t illuminate a leader/noble of worth.

For my research, might I suggest you look at my other thread here, where all will be explained - there's a further link to all my sources there.
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131098.msg1662863#msg1662863

Thanks Charlie. I've bookmarked the page and will give it a read through later on  8)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #437 on: July 22, 2021, 07:43:29 AM »
Nicely done  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #438 on: July 23, 2021, 01:14:10 PM »
They are well worth the time and effort. Next to grey dappled they are my favourite. They just "sing" out loud in a unit and are the perfect way t illuminate a leader/noble of worth.

Indeed - were white horses historically more likely to be used by people of note, were/are they rarer or more expensive for example? I suppose the same question goes to other interesting colours, say palomino, of which I've been painting a few lately...

Nicely done  :)

Thanks!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - restocking the stables (Dec 8)
« Reply #439 on: December 08, 2021, 09:39:10 PM »
Been a while since i've updated this, so here's an update to show what I'm working on.

I'm in the cavalry zone right now - I've got some wild ideas about rebasing all my cavalry, but I think i'll stay quiet about it until (if) it gets done.  I'm building up the cavalry numbers first, and once that's done I will think long and hard about how to re-organise and re-base what will be over 100 horses!

Usually when I paint cavalry I do them in batches of four, the horses first and then the riders. I thought I'd go about it differently this time - paint up loads of horses first with no plans as to which riders they will be given, and once i'm all horsed-out do all the riders, choosing which horses to put them on as I do them.

I know most people loathe painting horses, but I've come to really enjoy it!

Here's a bunch of horses awaiting riders....

But that's all plastic horses for plastic riders.

When it comes to metal riders I attach them to the horses first and paint them all as one. So I've got a few of these finished already, most of which are converted in some way or another - let me take you through them!

These first two are Perry metals on plastic Perry horses. The one on the left is going to be given a flag. The one on the right has also had a plastic headswap.

The next three are also metal riders on plastic horses. All three have been given headswaps (the rider on the white horse's new head is actually from the Foundry WOTR range). The standard bearer might look odd with his cut-down flagpole currently, but that's because he will be used for different swap-able flags. Funnily enough this is the first time i've used the Italian horse bard from the Perry kit - I've saved it up for an impressive looking unit leader! Also the two chestnut horses are me trying out a new colour, using the Foundry paint triads for the first time (Chestnut).

The next two are coverted from the old Wargames Foundry WOTR range. They are noticeably smaller than the modern Perry range, but that is mostly due to their little stunted legs - the riders can be made to sit on the larger Perry horses by giving them new plastic leg transplants. This is very easily done on the riders with convenient cloth coverings on their armour, probably not so easy on the ones in uncovered armour (I haven't tried). These two in livery jackets are basically wearing the same outfit as one of the bodies from the Perry cavalry plastics, but a little variety in posture and cut of the jackets goes a lone way! They also have great heads, including some nice kettle hat and bevor combos. The one on the left has had his lance-arm replaced with a Perry plastic part. The one on the right is riding a metal horse, and will get a flag in the future.

And here's another two Foundry-Perry conversions. The one on the left has had the plastic leg swap, and also a new  right arm. The one on the right I kept the original legs of - see how little they are? I put him on one of the slightly smaller metal Perry horses so it's not so noticeable. He is also awaiting a flag.

And finally, a slightly converted Steel Fist 16th century Gendarme, put on a Perry horse. I realised this body could be slightly altered to make it look more 15th century - in fact Oliver from Steel Fist seems to have done the same thing himself, as one of his late medieval man-at-arms sculpt seems to be based on this one with a few alterations! It has a raised lance though, and I wanted the lowered couched lance.... What I did was reshape the feet so the sabatons are pointed not square-toed (mostly just done with a file), and scraped off the 'stop-rib' on the breastplate. I left the breastplate plain, though someone more ambitious could have sculpted a plackart. And of course I gave him a suitably 15th century headswap. Though one 16th century feature that remains is the 'gorget' or whatever this sort of neck armour is called, though it is mostly covered by the sallet and bevor.

You won't see these based up in their units until sometime in the new year....

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #440 on: December 08, 2021, 09:43:24 PM »
Very smooth  8)

Online HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #441 on: December 09, 2021, 01:35:19 AM »
Great work on the conversions!

And glad to hear you've gotten into a rhythm with the horse painting! It's definitely paid off! The new chestnut colour scheme has turned out nicely as well

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #442 on: December 09, 2021, 06:16:35 AM »
Lovely work Charlie.

The blending on the horse flesh is very impressive  :-*

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #443 on: December 09, 2021, 06:39:51 AM »
very nice indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #444 on: December 09, 2021, 06:51:51 AM »
lovely, I will come back to these when doing my next cavalry batch.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #445 on: December 09, 2021, 08:08:22 AM »
Very nice work.
I’ve started batch painting horses myself, mainly to try and overcome my nervousness  terror of painting horses.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #446 on: December 09, 2021, 08:35:29 AM »
Very nice indeed!
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #447 on: December 09, 2021, 08:36:42 AM »
Very nice work.
I’ve started batch painting horses myself, mainly to try and overcome my nervousness  terror of painting horses.

I really enjoy painting horses, usually with a high degree of artistic license as ca be seen on the Steppe Nomads on this page of my Early Byzantine thread:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=126483.390

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #448 on: December 10, 2021, 12:30:14 AM »
Lovely to see this work, many thanks for sharing & also taking the time to put up the explanatory notes.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - my exciting new blog!!! (March 14)
« Reply #449 on: March 14, 2022, 09:02:12 PM »
I have finally got round to creating a blog to act as a permanent home for this project (and any other future projects that may one day happen).

I invite you all to take a look, and please follow or subscribe in whichever way you would normally do so.

https://fullharness.blogspot.com/

I've spent quite some time making it look nice.... I have actually had this ready to go for ages, but I wanted lots of posts stored up before it went public.

You will also be able to find here my research into the War of the Burgundian Succession, which I hope makes for a good read! You can find it all in the dropdown menus. I won't go on about it too much - suffice to say, if the snippets of history given in the posts interest you and you want to find more, then read the full articles there. I have provided a page with all my sources too.

I definitely don't plan for the blog to replace this thread - when I post something new on the blog, I will repeat it in full here (and post a small summary with links to the blog on facebook and TMP).

I also want the blog to act as a permanent gallery for this project, so to start with I will be posting lots of finished units which I have already shared here. I WON'T repeat them in this thread, but as soon as I move on to new fresh things they will be repeated here. The first units posted today are my three pike units, and I have six or seven more such posts which I'll put out over the next few weeks. Hopefully by the time they are all done I will have lots of finished new stuff ready to go (and perhaps some new followers and subscribers by then?).

When it comes to posting up various new commander figures I have waiting to be photographed, there will be lots of history included in the posts, which I am keen to share with you all!

In the future there will be actual gaming content too, but for now I am focusing entirely on painting and army building.