Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:33:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's 15th century - Some long-overdue Burgundians! (Feb 28)  (Read 155176 times)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Charlie's 15th century - French infantry reinforcements! (Jan 1)
« Reply #720 on: January 03, 2024, 06:29:15 PM »
Great stuff Charlie  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #721 on: January 03, 2024, 06:30:46 PM »
Lovely  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #722 on: January 03, 2024, 09:30:32 PM »
Thank you all.

I particularly like the sword and buckler man placed on the key spot on right flank!

Yes he is one of my favourite conversions, so he had to have the 'place of honour'!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - Updates! (Feb 21)
« Reply #723 on: February 21, 2024, 09:08:52 PM »
https://fullharness.blogspot.com/

Updates

ime for some updates.

First of all, I'd like to point you in the direction of a kickstarter currently being run by Warsteel Miniatures for late 15th century infantry STL files, for 3d prinitng. This is part 2 of a series, part 1 last year was unarmoured infantry (pikemen, crossbowmen and handgunners). Part 2 has armoured versions, with a mix of plate and cloth armour. Simon from Warsteel kindly sent me some samples, which I have enjoyed experimenting with. They come with separate heads - I've put a few together with a mix of different heads and polearms from various sources. They will definitely find their way into future units of French and Burgundians.

The kickstarter also has the same bodies without arms, for combining with plastic Perry arms of course. There are other things listed as stretch goals, so the more people who pledge the more interesting things will be unlocked.

Support the kickstarter here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warsteelkickstarter2/late-15th-century-medieval-gewalthaufen-part-2?ref=user_menu

I confess I'm not very up to date with 3D miniature printing technology, but as I understand it you get the files which you can either print yourself or get a 3rd party service to print for you. You can also get all the files from the 1st kickstarter, which together will give you a huge number of bodies (with and without arms), a multitude of separate heads and other things like polearms and casualties. Once the dust has settled I'll probably do some some of 'pick & mix' of the files I'll want printed for my project.

Here are the samples I've put together so far.

I should also point out in case anyone reading this didn't catch the announcement, that Steel Fist Miniatures have released a small range of 15th century Swiss - two packs of 6 advancing halberdiers/pikemen, and they really are fantastic. Though at the time of writing this the first batch are nearly out of stock!

As for what's on my workbench, I am slowly working my way through a mass of infantry, and imagine I will be doing nothing else for the rest of 2024. I've roughly mapped out what units are going to be built up from them, and it does seem a bit daunting... I've got a few more commissioned sculpts to be delivered sometime in the year, and some of these units will have to wait until I have these in my hands before they can be assembled and based. Until then I will just keep on painting what I have.

This is my rough plan....

- Two units of 20 French heavy infantry, defending (first one completed in January, see last post)
- Two units of 20 Burgundian heavy infantry, defending (first one nearly finished)
- One unit of 30 French heavy infantry, attacking
- One unit of 30 Burgundian heavy infantry, attacking
- One unit of 20 French archers
- One unit of 20 or 30 Burgundian archers.
- Various extra bases that can be used to expand the above units or form small units themselves.
- Some 'wagon fort' bases with built in defenders, for both sides.
- One unit of 50 German pikemen.

There's no way I'll get it all done this year, but we'll see how far I get!

Here's a few nice figures that are sitting around waiting for some friends to form units with. The one one the left is one of my commissioned sculpts, with a Perry head. The second is a conversion put together form various parts. The last two are from the small but excellent Eureka Miniatures late medieval range - very nice sculpts.

And before I forget, here's another French unit!

This is just a small unit. I like my units to be consistent poses, usually either advancing/attacking or defending, with weapons lowered. I don't like to see ranks of models with shouldered weapons making contact with the enemy on the tabletop, it just looks odd to me. However there are lots of very nice figures in more relaxed 'at ease' poses, and I've been wanting to find a way to make use of them for a while. I've bunched some of them together with a few other carefully chosen poses that suit the theme.

When seen on the tabletop, this little unit will probably be seen standing behind a hedge, wall or barricade, where lowered weapons would get in the way. They could also work as artillery or wagon guards maybe.... They won't be front line troops, but there'll be a use for them on the table somewhere, even if it's just to stand around looking smart!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 09:59:19 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #724 on: February 22, 2024, 08:01:06 AM »
Well 90% of all battles is standing around waiting. Hurry up and wait has been true for all soldiers from antiquity until today. I think the unit looks great.

The warsteel 3d miniatures are great! I backed the first kickstarter and I am also on board for the second. I am using them to create a peasant army.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #725 on: February 23, 2024, 12:25:06 AM »
The new unit looks great! Having some scruffier reserves on the table really adds to the immersion!

The planned infantry definitely sounds like a huge task! Looking forward to seeing the results!

3D Printing is still a bit of a mystery to me, so I'm curious how the new Warsteel figures will look in the other units

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - Some long-overdue Burgundians! (Feb 28)
« Reply #726 on: February 28, 2024, 06:17:44 PM »
https://fullharness.blogspot.com/

Some long-awaited Burgundians!

It seems all the units being finished lately have been French, and looking back at the infantry available to my Burgundian army, technically they are all German mercenaries or reluctant urban militias.... Now at last we have some true Burgundians on foot!

These could represent the personal retinue of some Burgundian noble.... or rather, some noble who at the time these photos was allying himself to Mary and Maximilian - many of them were quick to make friends with King Louis after being captured and offered lots of generous gifts! The exact makeup of the 'Burgundian' troops for the 1477-1493 period is hard to pin down, especially when you consider many towns were found on the ever-shifting border between the Burgundian lands and France, and many nobles held property on both sides of this border. Maximilian did raise new ordonnance companies from 1477 onwards, and this unit could represent some of these newly re-organised troops (perhaps veterans of Charles the Bold's wars) dismounted for combat.

I've given them a blue and red livery with a white St Andrew's cross, making them the most uniform unit so far on Maximilian's side. The standard is from Alea Jacta Est, who makes lots of interesting late medieval flags available for free on his website (LINK) - I'm not sure of the source of this flag, I think it's another 'unknown owner' situation, but that suits me fine as I don't want this unit to be tied to any one known character.

Again its mostly converted Perry miniatures, but with several of my own commissioned figures and a few other things - there's even a Front Rank and an Old Glory sculpt in there, suitable converted to 'Perry-fy' them.

And here they are facing off against their French opponents!

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #727 on: February 28, 2024, 10:47:30 PM »
I really like them (both Burgundians and French). There's a nice balance between a crisp paint job while having the armour looked lived-in. Really nice.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #728 on: February 29, 2024, 01:00:05 PM »
These look great! Once again the mix of ranges and Perry-fied figures looks amazing, the effort with converting them really pays off!

Thanks for the link to the blog with the banners as well, that's extremely helpful! Painting the banners by hand can be pretty excruciating towards the end of the 15th century!  lol

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #729 on: March 01, 2024, 06:26:25 PM »
Thank you both!

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #730 on: March 01, 2024, 08:59:31 PM »
Fabulous painting! The Burgundians are gorgeous, do you paint the saltire by hand or they a transfer? Look so uniform, brilliant stuff   :-*
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #731 on: March 02, 2024, 08:45:25 AM »
Another great looking unit. Really like those shots of them facing their opponents.

Steve

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #732 on: March 02, 2024, 04:59:02 PM »
Beautifully painted troops! Well done siir!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #733 on: March 03, 2024, 10:54:20 PM »
All very splendid Charlie  :-*

Right then, down to brass tacks. How many have you done in total now? You must be into the thousands  8)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #734 on: March 04, 2024, 07:40:32 PM »
They all look so great together. I have to admit that I feel very proud of our boys. They used to be a small ball of clay and now they threat people with glaives  :'(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:44:45 PM by Captain Harlock »