Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:32:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690733
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant After Action Report  (Read 1440 times)

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
Dragon Rampant After Action Report
« on: June 12, 2017, 10:24:32 PM »
Remember those Zvezda Cursed Legion models? Well, finally got them on the table this weekend as we had a six player Dragon Rampant beat down. Mantic Dwarves, Mantic Elves, my Skeletons squared off against gobbos, more, gobbos, Ral Partha Dwarves, and great Cth-Achoo! himself as a greater warbeast.

The almost finished Treeman threatened his opponents the day before the game was to begin. Still a few details shy and the latest wash was still wet at the time of the photo.

" width="600" height="800

Almost complete (basic still needed finishing) Mantic Brock Riders took the field squaring off against their distant cousins, some 25mm Ral Partha (I think) 1980's bear riders.

" width="800" height="600

The Great Old One flew (literally) across the battlefield as a Greater Warbeast. Said Treeman picture earlier was a Lesser Warbeast and was killed in turn two by foul Goblin magic. Squigs, sider riders, and the poor harried sheep herder kept pace.

Gobbos to my right that were supposed to be harried by the elves. The elves seemed determined to wheel behind my skeletons and allow them to take the brunt of all charges, magic, missiles, and noxious Old Ones.

My own valiant, and slightly dead troops bracing themselves to take on an Elder One.

And, yeah, the great thing about the Dragon Rampant rules are that even the biggest model isn't beyond the scope of being brought low. Given, it took half my army to achieve this but hey...

Oh hey, elves! Ghostly riders that will be painted come next game I'm sure.

The battle that took several turns..

And once we removed Achoo-loo I started drinking beer in earnest and forgot my phone had a camera... The forces of... Good... Evil...? My side of the table held the day as we couldn't decide if a Grating Old One was more evil than restless Romans. Afterwards we cooked out hamburgers and hot dogs, drank more beer and had an utterly relaxing and fantastic day.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Dragon Rampant After Action Report
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 12:13:23 AM »
Sounds like a great day!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:34:28 AM »
Very nice!

I picked up Pikeman's Lament recently - same core rules as Lion/Dragon Rampant - and now I'm considering snagging DL to sprinkle a bit of magic and such in with my pike & shotte, after building a character who looks like he should be wielding a wizard's staff instead of a halberd!

Chap on the far right foreground here:

... lop the head off the halberd, add something to make it look more wizardy, done, Renaissance magic wielder!

More blog wibbling here: http://www.warbard.ca/2017/06/12/the-workbench-this-week-12-june-2017/

I like the fact that these rules can accommodate insanity like six people all at once!

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 05:16:30 PM »
It was about a four hour game but we lost track of turns eventually. Don't tempt me with the Pike & Shotte. Okay, maybe just a little as the figures are making me go hmmm, revamp of the old Yaquinto Swashbuckler game. Loving what you've done with those models.

Edit to add: Warlord had a 50% off sprue sale going on... Pike & Shotte sprue have been purchased.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:24:22 PM by TwoGunBob »

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:31:35 PM »
It was about a four hour game but we lost track of turns eventually. Don't tempt me with the Pike & Shotte. Okay, maybe just a little as the figures are making me go hmmm, revamp of the old Yaquinto Swashbuckler game. Loving what you've done with those models.

Edit to add: Warlord had a 50% off sprue sale going on... Pike & Shotte sprue have been purchased.

lol

I saw the sprue sale email from Warlord and am determined to ignore it, no more pike & shot purchases until I can field a fully painted and based Pikeman's Lament force! I've got lots of partially painted figures but need to stop assembling new ones and actually finish stuff.

The command sprues for the Warlord P&S infantry are a lot of fun to mess around with, you get an extra pikeman body with every regular infantry sprue (five bodies but only four pikes) so you can do lots of sergents, musicians, ensigns, or whatever with the extra arms, weapons, and equipment on the command sprues.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 12:58:29 AM »

That Great Cthulhu is GREAT (also literally), but IMHO the biggest monster of that game is the beer bottle on the table!  :o
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 07:40:32 AM »
Nice write up! Sounds like you all had fun, which is the main purpose, isn't it?

Wargames, beer and burgers, sounds like a perfect day. lol

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
Must you tempt me with DR reports during the Splintered Light sale?  15mm fantasy is hard enough to resist already.