Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Abensberg in AB 18mm Napoleonics  (Read 14488 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Abensberg in AB 18mm Napoleonics
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 12:24:24 PM »
Lovely  :)

Quick question, how do you do the basing in between the figures?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 12:35:35 PM »
Also keen to know this - not my period but the painting is fantastic and I love the multi-basing, I find ranks like that difficult!

Offline Inhaber Jerry

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 07:32:11 AM »
Hello,

To base I glue them all down on a 40 X 30 X 3mm mdf base.

1) I then use a rubbish brush to smear PVA glue down and dip them in sand
2)The next day I use diluted PVA glue to seal the sand before painting
3) I then paint Hydrocryl burnt umber (artist acrylic) on the base. Drybrush citadel steel legion drab, Citadel adminstratum Grey and then VJ Buff in successive lighter shades. Finishing off with a edge of black along the base.

I only really paint 18mm miniatures and the small details that come with that. Getting in between the figures without marking them is an extension. Though it does takes some practice.

I also hate doing it, which is why some are not complete.

Ramblings, tips and tricks on painting small scale figures: https://expressminiatures.wordpress.com/

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »
Thanks for that - braver than me, they'd have burnt umber bouts (and legs) if I tried that. I know the feeling, I'm jealous of those who can enjoy basing - I hate it!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:04:14 PM by Jagannath »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 11:04:34 AM »
Lovely painting and a magnificent collection! I love them.

Offline DCRBrown

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 07:46:23 AM »

Very nice indeed!

DB

Offline Inhaber Jerry

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 08:50:43 PM »
Hello All,

Thank you for all your kind words.

I have finished some artillery for my slowly growing collection.

I have painted the French artillery using a system of base colour, wash, layer base colour and then highlight with shade lighter. With the French I have used the GW citadel system using Macragge Blue and then Altdorf Guard blue, but with my Wurttemberg and Prussians I am struggling to get a sufficiently dark enough blue, as the final highlight brings it up to a mid blue. I use Kantor Blue, with a final highlight of Altaioc Blue.

Does anyone have any tips?

Much appreciated,

Kurt.

French 8 pounder

Austrian Kavallerie gun

Offline Tony Barton

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
For dark blue, take the darkest flat blue you can get ( I use Vallejo Dark Prussia Blue 70 899) and then add red to it. That creates the correct dark Indigo shade , with a purplish cast.
 Blue uniforms at the time were all dyed with Indigo , which is much darker than many modellers realise, and really not at all like most modern blue paint shades, which are made from Prussian Blue pigment,or similar synthetics,  which have nothing WHATEVER to do with the dyes used on uniforms, by Prussians or anyone else. Paints and dyes are different things.

Unfortunately Indigo itself, though a wonderful and very ancient dyestuff, makes rather indifferent paint. It's sold for watercolour use, but is almost black, and hopeless for painting figures.
( Prussian Blue is a very fierce mid-blue pigment , invented by a chemist in about 1710, which quickly became  popular, since there were very few blues available to artists at the time . Unfortunately it's a very " hot " colour, and needs a deal of restraint in its use. By the mid-19c there a whole series of new synthetic blues , such as Cobalt Blue and Ultramarine).

So experiment with adding red : it works.

Offline Inhaber Jerry

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 09:32:51 PM »
A tiny bit of threadcromancy!

Thank you to Tony Barton for his assistance, much appreciated.

I have finally set up my painting table in York, UK and have cracked on with some more Austrians. I have altered the way I paint white. Though it is still an inaccurate cold white, it stands out and enables me to paint different white uniforms for different nations (warmer white for Italians and Saxons).

If anyone would like a unit or two commissioned, please feel free to drop me a line here: expressminiatures@gmail.com.

Offline Inhaber Jerry

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 12:14:08 PM »
Dear Huevans,

Thank you for taking the time to point that out and provide all the wonderful material. It is funny how long you stare at a miniature without noticing any and all errors. Much appreciated.

I painted over the lapels with Citadel Waagh Flesh, leaving the Scarlet on the edges and did a glaze highlight with Warboss Green. I also took the opportunity to bump up the contrast and add more highlights to the rest of the uniform. The metal work remains gold - for now (my newer unit has silver). I might have to change that when I paint the commander for the Brigade I am working on.

Thank you,

Kurt.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 03:42:39 PM »
Dear Huevans,

Thank you for taking the time to point that out and provide all the wonderful material. It is funny how long you stare at a miniature without noticing any and all errors. Much appreciated.

I painted over the lapels with Citadel Waagh Flesh, leaving the Scarlet on the edges and did a glaze highlight with Warboss Green. I also took the opportunity to bump up the contrast and add more highlights to the rest of the uniform. The metal work remains gold - for now (my newer unit has silver). I might have to change that when I paint the commander for the Brigade I am working on.

Thank you,

Kurt.

I was remiss in not complimenting you on the rest of your excellent painting and the mass effect of seeing all that lovely lead arrayed on the table!

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 06:44:50 PM »
Beautiful collection love them. :D

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »
Turning out fine, indeed.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »
Hello,

To base I glue them all down on a 40 X 30 X 3mm mdf base.

1) I then use a rubbish brush to smear PVA glue down and dip them in sand
2)The next day I use diluted PVA glue to seal the sand before painting
3) I then paint Hydrocryl burnt umber (artist acrylic) on the base. Drybrush citadel steel legion drab, Citadel adminstratum Grey and then VJ Buff in successive lighter shades. Finishing off with a edge of black along the base.

I only really paint 18mm miniatures and the small details that come with that. Getting in between the figures without marking them is an extension. Though it does takes some practice.

I also hate doing it, which is why some are not complete.

I add the basing material to the miniature after I have completed painting it. I then paint the sand in the base color. When finished I mount the minis and then all I have to really worry about is filling in the gaps. Makes basing go much quicker.