Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:49:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689603
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sigur in Space! - Update: Revenge of the Blood Angels!  (Read 88537 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Sigur in Space! - Sisters of Battle, Eldar, Infinity, all things Sci-Fi.
« Reply #345 on: March 15, 2021, 06:00:39 PM »
@fluffy05: Cheers! Aye, getting them in metal was a clever move. I'm a bit torn on GW redoing the Phoenix Lords. At this point the sculpts have been around for so long, they're as iconic as Heroquest figures. :D And I'd hate to think they'd make them into a 30cm tall thing with sculpted swooshes, kerrunches and shabangs around them. But who knows. Anyway, the Australia point about Finecast is a very valid one. Jeepers. I remember a story someone told years ago when they left their Death Korps of Krieg army on the window frame on a hot day. When he came back, all the lasguns were pointing downwards. Annoying stuff.

So here's what your old pal Sigur did today: Wrestled with the Shining Spears some more. Then he decided he should give his airbrush a deep cleansing. And so he did. Put the gun back together - whoops, where's the nozzle (which I just put in anew two days ago, too). No idea. I MAY have thrown it into the drain by accident. Wow. Never happened to me before. Rather annoying. Not a huge thing, but it hurt a bit because I just got a new one in two days earlier. The old one I'd had at least 2 years. Well, teaches me to be more careful, I suppose. Not a major setback as I gotta finish the Shining Spears before I go on to the next unit.

This is a really funny army to work with. Each unit looking so different and so on. Certainly slows things down, makes me realize I charge way too little, but oh well. Just gotta work more hours and faster, right? :D It'll be a FANTASTIC looking army in the end though. Not to toot my own horn; I'm tooting all the Eldars' horns there. They're just so pretty!

In terms of my own gaming I'm in a weird slump. Usually when I gotta work a lot on a commission project I keep my spirits up by thinking about stuff I'll paint for myself afterwards. But due to lack of gaming with others the past 12 months I just can't get into it. All I know is that I have to get these Eldar done really fast, I have to get that thing done I got as a backdrop really fast, and I have to really get on to other projects. Very fast. Oh well. Overall I'm proceeding at an acceptable pace.

And we're entering that time of year at which I'm looking forward to spring and start listening to nice music (instead of staring at social media), which is good for the mood.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #346 on: March 17, 2021, 09:00:20 PM »
Hello hello, friends. Here's the Rangers:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_03/rangers1schrift.jpg.3be7fab568f1fb19cf59d42c23c57c4a.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_03/rangers2schrift.jpg.7cdbf9782081b7d7780b623f81db5a46.jpg

Bit less by the numbers. The gentleman I paint these for asked me to do something slightly more fancy with the cloaks.

Hope you like them!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #347 on: March 18, 2021, 09:41:45 AM »
 :o Stunning!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
« Reply #348 on: March 18, 2021, 10:31:53 AM »
Amazing! Some incredible painting Sigur. I really need to start saving up so I can get some minis painted by you one day ;)
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #349 on: March 18, 2021, 03:30:10 PM »
Cloaks are a lovely touch

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2021, 11:33:03 PM »
@DintheDin: thanks very much!

@LazyStudent: Thanks, Sir. You will find that I'm very reasonable. ;)

@gamer Mac: Cheers. When I talked to the gentleman I paint these for I asked "what would you like me to do with the cloaks; regular green with some camo or would you like to have the camo cloaks be more akin to the surrounding terrain?", he replied "Why not both?". Then we talked some more about what he'd like to have done, it gave me that special kind of headache (the "this will be more work than anticipated" kind, but also the kind which feels like a bit of a challenge). Pretty happy with how it worked out in the end. :)

heyhey, friends. How's everybody doing? Everybody doing fine, I hope. The past weekend my dad got vaccinated, so that's good.

Here's Striking Scorpions:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_03/scorpswip1schrift1.jpg.139f499e65a69490e9a33f3015f809ea.jpg

Not 100% done, but getting there swiftly. :) Hope you find them striking!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2021, 02:40:54 PM »
Heyhey, hope y'all are having a smashing weekend!

Here's a squad of Shadow Spectres (that's the aspect Forgeworld made up. I think they were released 11 years ago! Time, eh? Crazy.), including their phoenix lord even! I didn't even notice him when i first checked the army.

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_03/shadowspectresschrift1.jpg.a668cdf8254afc3b821ff3da746b1770.jpg

Right, I hope that you like them!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2021, 05:09:33 PM »
I admire a lot he fading and the color transitions you make, as well as the rock effects of the base! First rate job!!!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #353 on: April 02, 2021, 09:36:05 AM »
@DintheDin: Cheers! :) Yeah, these were a bit different to paint than the other aspects so far, but I'm very pleased with how they turned out.

Heyhey, it's Friday once more. Hope y'all are having a Good one. (ha!)

Here's some Warp Spiders to tickle your eyeballs:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_04/warpspwip1schrift.jpg.b119e564c3865fb42fb7fa9e75e42962.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_04/warpspwip2schrift.jpg.021613cd44d287c11da44c53731172f7.jpg

Perfectly fine figures, perfectly cool dudes. Material's a bit iffy of course, but GW chose to use it, so we'll roll with it. "We love it where we from but we kick it where we at", the Diggable Planets tell us, which is something I try to take to heart. Which I took for "yeah, well...." in regards to Finecast.

Anyway, hope you like the figures!

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #354 on: April 03, 2021, 11:36:24 AM »
Lovely, classic paintscheme with modern techniques.
I have s batch of those lying around. Really like those models, despite their age.
It's just that I'm not doing much 40k related of late, because they really deserve a coat of paint.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #355 on: April 04, 2021, 10:53:43 AM »
Not sure I use that many modern techniques. Or many techniques to begin with. :D Two years ago I got called "old-school" twice within 5 months. For some reason that bugs me to this day. :D I don't see much change to figure painting at all (which is one of the things I love about it), but maybe you're right.

Either way, I absolutely agree with you. Great models, to this day. Because the whole Eldar range is just so well designed to begin with.

For me it's been all 40k since the beginning of the year. At this point I'm getting an itch for historicals, just for some variety. All fantasy and no historicals makes Sigur a dull boy. :P

Anyway, happy Easter, ye lot!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #356 on: April 07, 2021, 12:23:32 PM »
...and here's more pictures of pretty Eldar. Shining Spears, and lots thereof:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_04/shiningspears1schrift.jpg.193014456f028b629948b929639bf717.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_04/shiningspears1schrift.jpg.193014456f028b629948b929639bf717.jpg

The white background isn't the most flashy for those guys, but I like the white. Shows the figures (usually) rather than some effect. I'm convinced that these will look very striking on a gaming table, and that's what it's all about, isn't it. Especially with white and black, less is more.

In the first picture you see them without decals, in the second picture you see the final version, with decals added. Hope you like them!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #357 on: April 07, 2021, 05:52:18 PM »
Striking white  :-* Sigur, very well done!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #358 on: April 07, 2021, 07:18:46 PM »
What technique did you use for the stripe masking? They're very clean!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #359 on: April 08, 2021, 11:05:01 AM »
@DintheDin: Cheers! :)

@FramFramson: Barely any technique at all. :D Just masking tape and airbrush. There was some fuzziness along the edges here and there, so I had to clean that up afterwards.