Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:02:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sigur in Space! - Update: Revenge of the Blood Angels!  (Read 89237 times)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: Sigur in Space! - So many Orks, Eldar, Infinity, all things Sci-Fi.
« Reply #480 on: April 28, 2023, 09:36:31 PM »
I did a little happy dance inside when I saw this thread had been updated.

Painting excellence, well done that man.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #481 on: May 12, 2023, 05:30:49 PM »
@Andym: Thanks very much! :)

@hubbabubba: That's very nice to hear. I'm sure you got the movey like Jagger.

Heyhey, update time. I painted some Blood Angels test figures for - what I hope - will be a ginormous BA army in the not too distant future:

...and then there's the finished Orks of course:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_04/as1shoopS.jpg.28658d33a8799531d8700408a5a897c1.jpg

Killkoptaz, Big Mek in Mega Armour (later on the gentleman I paint these for realized he put the figure on a too big base to put him into transports, so I'll have to rebase him to 50mm. Yikes.) and 10 Kommandoz.

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_04/all1s.jpg.dadf9f544b8c678c086674bf285b303c.jpg

Rukkatrukk Squigbuggy:

What a great little vehicle kit. GW really got the vehicles ALMOST right with that latest batch. There's just too much faff on them. Luckily the gentleman who sends these to me for painting is a man of taste and thus files/cuts off some of the faff.

Dakkajet (all freehand! No decals or airbrush stencils or stuff like that):

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_04/dj3s.jpg.e0b68b2efa790787133ce1fddfd50c84.jpg

I painted Dakkajets before, for an Evil Sunz army. So I definately didnÄt want to go with all too much red on this one and instead opted for a very 2nd edition (one must not deny their own roots!) look, which I was delighted to see works very well with the Dakkajet model. Sadly that means that the weathering and such doesn't come out quite as nicely on the upper side. But there's always a downside to anything, as my old grandma always used to say (that's a lie.), and I love painitng the underside of airplanes either light blue or white. As it should be done, right? And on these colours you can go proper crazy with soot, dirt, rust, damage, and so on. Hooray! If you read the glyphs on the wings on the lower side you can see the regular "grim" glyph as a sort of army emblem, but on the other wing there's the Ork glyph for "friend" (or favourite enemy), to remind friendly flak crews NOT to fire  at the plane when it returns from its mission.

Now for the main event - the heavy Kill Blasta (or Kill Bursta, see below) assault tank:

Alternate weapon load out:

Commander (or Kommander?):

Again, I added some fitting glyphs to the top hatch, saying "Watch Out", "head" and "danger". That could either be there to remind the commander not to stick their head out during combat or as a reminder that one could bump their head on the hatch when closing.

As always, great working with Ork figures. :) That tank did give me some headaches though, because it's a bit older and from the time when Ork vehicles were just a pile of junk ("lol."). which I'm not a fan of at all, be it from a background or aesthetic standpoint. This model gives you nothing as a painter. There aren't too many painted examples online, and the ones I found were basically a broad base colour, some weathering and a random checkerboard pattern across the side spray-painted on via stencil. That of course neither fit my own preferences nor the way this army is painted, so I went for something slightly bold and slightly "high concept", with that huge maw. Because as I said above - there are no lines to this model, with the exception of one diagonal line running along the sides and of course the big dozer blade, shaped like a jaw. So I opted to use the diagonal line to denote the upper jaw, and add some nasty fangs. This was followed by the usual 'beating up' of the vehicle, details, glyphs and checkerboard stripes. At first I was VERY unsure about this, but I didn't want to do the generic junkyard look, especially on such a big centre piece. So I pressed on, played around with the size of the painted-on teeth and the balance of black, red and metallics and pulled though. And now I'm pleased with the result. :)

Hope you like the figures/models! Right now I'm painting a bunch of Empress Vietcong, Marines and Vietnamese civilians, and then I'll see if I can get that Blood Angels army on the road. Oh, and an Eradicators army too!

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #482 on: May 12, 2023, 09:23:05 PM »
All of the that is amazing.  The Blood Angels are red hot (pun).

Thank for sharing

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #483 on: May 13, 2023, 02:02:51 AM »
Fantastic work on your orks.  I really love your fighter and tank.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #484 on: May 15, 2023, 06:42:46 AM »
Lovely models with unbelievable detail! Top notch work! Congrats!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #485 on: June 23, 2023, 03:20:39 PM »
@LouieN: Thanks! Hope to get started on the rest of the army soon!

@syrinx0: Cheers! Those aren't mine I'm afraid. As so very often, I'm just the paintmonkey-for-hire. ;)

@DintheDin: Thanks very much, Sir!

Heyhey, happy Friday!

Here's a WIP shot of lots of grey and yellow space marines:

Here's the test figures I painted for this Imperial Harbingers army. The two on either side; the one in the middle is the template Marine I got so I know what colour goes where. :) Hope you like them!

I also painted 226 butt cheeks today; more on this later.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #486 on: August 19, 2023, 01:24:12 PM »
Heyhey, the Imperial Harbingers army is done!

Heyhey, here's army shots of the Imperial Harbingers Space Marines:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_08/1S.jpg.df0ad3136a015d4aa886ae7fd0fe14df.jpg

Bladeguard Veterans:

Outriders and Inceptors:

Aggressors and Eradicators:

Commander, 2 Lieutenants, Ancient:

Chaplain and Judiciar:

Retributor Dreadnought:

Intercessors:

Assault Intercessors:

Hellblasters:

Chaplain on Bike:

Repulsor:

Jou, and that is that. Hope you like the pictures. Interesting chapter, these Imperial Harbingers. The color scheme is quite simple, with the Blade Guard I tried to get a bit more out of it, but in general they look like these future soldiers of a young order without big traditions or fanfare. They come across a bit more pragmatic.

A word about the decals - the symbol of the order with the burning skull was home-printed. That means you had to cut it out exactly (ok, no biggie), and the symbol was coloured a flat white skull and a light yellow (decal, yellow is often a problem), single colored flame. That means I gave each of the skulls some higihlights and shadows and shaded down all the flames in the back. That was a lot of extra work, but it paid off a lot, I think.

Also, I played a game of Warhammer 40,000! With my own figures. What happened was that GW put up the rules of the latest edition of 40k as well as all the army lists and points costs online for free. And somehow that got me curious about what 40k plays like these days. Hadn't played since very early 6th edition.

So I got my Orks out.

full size image: http://tabletopstories.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/1000ptsS.jpg

Above you see 1000pts (10th edition 40k), but I got a lot more of the green dudes. Love my Space Orks. :) And I found out that I still got sooooo many more in several (heavy) boxes. Crazy.

...but at heart I've always been an Imperial Gu- Astra Militarum guy. Certainly an itch i get to scratch by means of several historical wargames I play these days, but still - gotta love your 40k army, right? Since those I did quite a bit before I did my Orks (which I worked on between 2006 and 2008-ish), my IG was painted in 1996 to 2002. And then the plastic cadians (not a huge fan) from 2004-2005 or so, and then I even added a few of the then-new catachan plastics (command squad, heavy weapons squad).

Here's the infantry of my 1000pts list of IG in 10th edition:

full size image: http://tabletopstories.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/1000ptsINF2.jpg

But I also needed tanks. So I decided to quickly repaint/touch up some tanks for this test game. My problem was that In about 2009 I had the idea of repainting all my IG tanks to have a unified colour scheme. That never went anywhere though, so about 2 weeks ago I decided to instead repaint my IG tanks based on the original colour scheme I used back when I started.

Left to right: Oldey times 1996 tanks, 2009 test scheme (I like a single-colour tank. But for 40k I think camo works better), 2004-ish colour scheme. So I decided to go with a slightly refurbished version of the old colour scheme, for old times' sake.

2 Chimeras:

full size image:https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_07/chim1S.jpg.0b02fa6bc9b932e82b99f21078ab0142.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_07/chim2S.jpg.6a45a5e05cc768cd44265a6ba785df1e.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_07/chim3S.jpg.6e5b7402119e0bf5a1438b7baefe9e65.jpg

2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks:

I own a silly number of Leman Russ tanks, but only one of the new style ones. Interesting experiences painting two side by side. The new one rather feels like the "late war version" where they try to save on materials and work time by doing fewer angles and fancy stuff.

The new one is fully magnetized, so all the various weapons options can be stuck on, sponsons are magnetized as well and so on. I also painted a Forgeworld Exterminator turret which I forgot to take pictures of.

...and then some support:

I couldn't help myself adding the red to the Hellhound. I knew that I had to, just to see what it looks like. And I like it. You can also see the little extra armour in the front, because a.) mines and b.) 40k is full of people running up to tanks and hacking at them with magic swords and whips and whatnot. Gotta keep them away.

On the Basilisk you can see the little miscast on the gun shield. First ever miscast I had from GW and it took a LONG time until I saw another one. But this one here will stay forever, because that's what my first Basilisk is like. Also: Stormbolter. For close-quarters defence or whatever.

Not a single dozer blade on my tanks though I think. That's a bit weird. I'll have to go check.

Right, so here's the vehicles to round off the 1000 points of AM of which I posted the infantry above:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2023_07/1000ptsTNK.jpg.eb0871fca3c25ec94d358fca6f74fd73.jpg

So I painted a few more vehicles than I needed for that game, but ...well.

Right, then I got the rules pdfs and set up a table and gave it a go! The battle report and review of the rules (surely the trickiest review I ever wrote.) can be found here:
https://tabletopstories.net/language/en/2023/08/warhammer-40000-review-and-test-game/

I'm sure I made many rules mistakes in there, but I did try. :D

Well, that's the news. Have a great weekend!

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #487 on: August 19, 2023, 01:55:32 PM »
Awesome write up and great to see so many beautiful models on the tabletop  :-*
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #488 on: August 19, 2023, 02:35:37 PM »
Sigur can I ask for a detailed description of how you paint your bases? The ones in the last few army photos :)

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #489 on: August 19, 2023, 11:44:50 PM »
@fluffy05: Thanks very much!

@driller: Which army exactly? The Space Marines, the Astra Militarum or the Orks? :D

Offline Ajax

• Scientist
« Reply #490 on: August 20, 2023, 08:19:36 AM »
Always very impressive quality...

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #491 on: August 21, 2023, 07:54:09 AM »
outstanding additions!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #492 on: August 24, 2023, 02:47:13 PM »
@Ajax: Thanks very much. :)

@tomrommel1: Cheers!

Heyhey, here's another update - Nobz Mob with their sweet ride:

Hope you like them!

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #493 on: August 24, 2023, 06:55:46 PM »
So good, such a high standard across so many models, awesome work.

I really like the metals you did on the cannon of that kill blasta ork tank, really well seen.

Keep on keepin' on.

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
« Reply #494 on: August 27, 2023, 12:45:32 PM »
Incredible.

I love the Harbingers from the previous post too  :-*, and your battle reports are always simply as good as it gets.