Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sigur in Space! - Update: Revenge of the Blood Angels!  (Read 87090 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Amazing detail on GW's Mek Workshop!  :-*
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
@DintheDin: Thanks very much, kind Sir! :)

Heyhey, last weekend we playtested a conversion for using What a Tanker! for Battletech (or mech combat in general):

https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/2021/06/what-a-mecher-playtest/

Hope you find the article interesting!

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
Heyhey, last weekend we playtested a conversion for using What a Tanker! for Battletech (or mech combat in general):

https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/2021/06/what-a-mecher-playtest/

Hope you find the article interesting!

Fantastic!

I backed the Clan Wars Kickstarter but am not a fan of how complicated the old rules are for Battletech (despite the fond memories).

Great write up.
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
@fluffy05: Cheers! If I remember correctly that was exactly the situation Virago found himself in and which led him to working out What a Mecher!. :)

Here's yet another battle report! Yeah, no wonder I get nothing done. Last night we met for the second playtest session for What a Mecher!. New mechs, heavier ones, lighter ones, more terrain, more pew-pew/dakka.

https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/2021/06/what-a-mecher-play-test-2/

Hope you like the report!

By the way, here's my review and two battle reports of What a Tanker!, the rules virago based What a Mecher! on:

https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/?s=what+a+tanker

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Heyhey, here's some Star Wars Legion figures:

It's lovely, lovely snowtroopers! Yay!
First time I worked with SW:Legion figures. Interesting things.

Hope ye like them!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Cracking job :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Sigur in Space! - Sisters of Battle, Eldar, Infinity, all things Sci-Fi.
« Reply #396 on: September 06, 2021, 09:31:24 AM »
@gamer Mac: Thanks very much! :)

Here's what's going to keep me busy for the next weeks:

These are the motor pool of the Iyanden Eldar army I painted earlier this year. Got to working on a test model yesterday. I'm already through the "I have a cunning plan!" phase and well into the "I'm hating this" phase. :D Hope to proceed to the "test figure done, it looks acceptable, I'm the greatest" and the subsequent "geeez, I have to do this on all of these? That'll take me ages and I charge way too little for this" phase. But first I'll have to go through "well, I didn't think that there were THAT Many details on this thing...." sub-phase.

But now excuse me. I'll have to go pick up about 4km of masking tape before I can proceed.

Until then - I just realized I haven't posted these before:

An addition to a Van Saar gang for Necromunda. Rather interesting figures, these dudes here, and the stark difference to the regular Van Saar gang box. That one's bristling with weapon options and so on. The flyboys and -girls here come with exactly no options. Very much digitally designed kits, with just one possible pose and no armament options. The gentleman I built and painted these for provided me with all the Forgeworld upgrade packs though, which allowed me to at least give them a little variety. The big guys on foot are especially problematic, since they got the same body, the only difference would be the equipment on the left arm. I had to do some cutting and fitting to at least turn the head on the one and add a different arm and gun.

Still, really good figures. My verdict still stands - if you want some really nice looking sci-fi soldiers in armour, these Van Saar dudes are worth a look. Shoulder pads and shoulder hoses are optional, but I think they make for very good 'heavy law enforcement' or mercenaries or something like that in any sci-fi setting.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #397 on: September 07, 2021, 11:22:50 AM »
Hello, hello.
Here's the test vehicle I did:

Hope you like it. It's about 97% finished. Of course there'll be decals slapped on as well later on. Right now I have to work out how to make the rest of the vehicles, airplanes and giant undead robots to look similar.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #398 on: September 08, 2021, 04:03:05 PM »
Amazing job! It is so difficult to achieve such shades on yellow, but also the waves on the blue are outstanding!

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #399 on: September 08, 2021, 04:36:01 PM »
An addition to a Van Saar gang for Necromunda. Rather interesting figures, these dudes here, and the stark difference to the regular Van Saar gang box. That one's bristling with weapon options and so on. The flyboys and -girls here come with exactly no options. Very much digitally designed kits, with just one possible pose and no armament options. The gentleman I built and painted these for provided me with all the Forgeworld upgrade packs though, which allowed me to at least give them a little variety. The big guys on foot are especially problematic, since they got the same body, the only difference would be the equipment on the left arm. I had to do some cutting and fitting to at least turn the head on the one and add a different arm and gun.

While the box doesn't offer any options for the neotek flyers (and precious few for the archeotek champions) their pistol-toting arms are fully compatible with the leftover bits from the basic box.  You can swap on other weapons to your heart's content since they use the same split design with the arm gripping the back half of the gun and the front half being a separate bit.  Similarly, the shield arms work on the basic box bodies, and as far as I can tell the arm pairs from that box work on the neoteks.  Anyone who's done the original Van Saar plastics doesn't really need Forge World.

Most of the heads from both boxes are cross-compatible too, although it takes a bit of trimming to get the angle of view just right.  Silliest way to do a head/neck cut I've ever seen on models anywhere.

That said, if anyone actually plans to play Necromunda with this stuff, the second box is a mass of trap options that you'd never really want to use in the game.  Expensive gear on what amount to flying juves that can't benefit from most cover is idiotic, and you'll get a lot more use out of them with a nice cheap lasgun and maybe some grenades.  The archeoteks' unique weaponry is a bit better but you're still better off equipping them differently, which (owing to their dopey model design) means using basic box bodies instead.  You might eventually want to splurge for the melee rig or even the rad beamer, but for a new gang?  Pass.  Take advantage of the archeotek's unique skill set and super-discounted custom cyberware to make a bionic murder machine and leave the fancy gear the official figs have on the shelf.

OTOH, the expansion box is a gold mine of useful arms, letting you do a lot more dual-wielding pistolier builds than the core set alone.  The extra shields don't hurt any either, although they're not great mechanically.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #400 on: September 30, 2021, 11:33:06 AM »
@DintheDin: Thank you very much! Yeah, the wavey stuff is just a little trick to make the otherwise very classic colour scheme a bit more fancy. In general though I think that the yellow-blue contrast with little red dots thrown in works really well, so I mostly stuck to that.

@Chief Lackey Rich: Yeah, I got the impression that you're meant to use weapon options from the core box. Can't comment on the relative usefulness under the current rules as I haven't played Necromunda since 1998. :D

Heyhey, I guess it's high time for an update!

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_09/cobrawip2schrift.jpg.580da27e3385833a5b731f0790309081.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_09/crim1schrift.jpg.31c9d5b0ac0eb8aca70b354902ebace1.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_09/wip2.jpg.9bfb70c35d1425a05547cd27fe6f53cb.jpg

Painting-wise these are done now, but I still have to add decals. The Cobra (the big tank/titan hunter) needs some more detailwork done, but then it's there as well.

But first I'll paint up two phantom knights and three heavy weapon platforms, then everybody gets their decals to finish off the look.

Hope you like them so far!

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »
FWIW, I see GW is releasing a plastic set of Van Saar weapon bits with a slew of new options, as well as having teased both the big arachno-mech-suit and a new augmek with a funky high-tech lascannon accompanied by three cyberarchnid pets.  The latter I can do without, having long since made my own out of Wargames Atlantic spiders and some extra bits, but the rest are all pretty interesting.  Not sure yet if anything but the weapon sprue is from GW or if the rest will be annoying Forge World releases.

The bits alone might get me to buy a third gang box.  I'm already using these guys for a bunch of scifi stuff, and I'm having fever dreams of doing a whole platoon of them as Imperial Guard and/or genestealer cult brood brothers.  Certainly got enough lasguns for the job - and they're actually a little cheaper than Cadians are these days.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #402 on: September 30, 2021, 12:09:15 PM »
Great work mate  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #403 on: September 30, 2021, 12:48:37 PM »
“ These are the motor pool of the Iyanden Eldar army I painted earlier this year. Got to working on a test model yesterday. I'm already through the "I have a cunning plan!" phase and well into the "I'm hating this" phase. :D Hope to proceed to the "test figure done, it looks acceptable, I'm the greatest" and the subsequent "geeez, I have to do this on all of these? That'll take me ages and I charge way too little for this" phase. But first I'll have to go through "well, I didn't think that there were THAT Many details on this thing...." sub-phase.

But now excuse me. I'll have to go pick up about 4km of masking tape before I can proceed.”

Had to laugh.  I feel the same way about most of my painting projects  lol

The Star Wars Legion Snow Troopers look outstanding!

The Star Wars Legion kits are quite good.  Ironically I prefer the resin plastic models over the new hard plastic kits.  Still I love all the amazing love Star Wars is getting in kit form.

Beautiful brushwork on the Van Saar and the Ilyaden. 

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #404 on: September 30, 2021, 04:49:53 PM »
@Chief Lackey Rich: Aye, this might get me to paint some more figures for that gang as well. :D Fingers crossed.

@OSHIROmodels: Thanks very much, Sir. Good to see I achive at least this goal on a pretty regular basis now. :D

@fluffy05: :D Honestly, so far I put 33m 18mm-tape into this project and surely no less than 5m 10mm tape and smaller. Not that I'm the most efficient about using tape, but it's pretty crazy. Cheers on the Snow Troopers. They were a bit challenging due to them being ..well, all white. And usually the first thing I look for in a figure is "where can I generate colourful contrast?". You either are a very sick puppy or these SW:L plastics are really bad. :D Just kidding. I assume the 'resin plastic' ones are less hassle to put together. So far I painted a fair few of Atomic Mass Games' (who are doing all the formerly FFG miniatures related things now, right?) Marvel superheroes (here: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=129389.0), all of which are plastic. I didn't build them, but let's say I did some fixing and some gap filling/repositioning prior to painting them and they seemed like regular hard plastic kits. So I assume the Star Wars ones are along the same lines.