Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:29:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sigur in Space! - Update: Revenge of the Blood Angels!  (Read 89253 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Sigur in Space! - So many Orks, Eldar, Infinity, all things Sci-Fi.
« Reply #495 on: August 30, 2023, 06:17:52 PM »
@hubbabubba: Cheers! Yeah, it's the little things, isn't it. And then the little things turned up to eleven, and what we get then is warhammer 40,000. :D The gun just looked like it has some sort of recoil-absorbing mechanism going on. Or looks like it should!

@Raedwald: Thanks very much, glad you liket he pictures and the battle reports! :) A lot of time goes into both. :D

Speaking of a lot of time - after about 1.5 (or was it 2.5?) years of sitting on a shelf, in nothing but a basecoat of paint and a thick layer of dust, I finally got to finish this terrain here:

Hard foam, sold by Micro Art Studio. All I did was paint on the paneling on the building in an attempt to break up the big blue block somehow. But basically they're all as they come "out of the box", just with some paint added. Hope you like them!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #496 on: August 30, 2023, 08:05:14 PM »
They look great. Gotta love their hard foam terrain, so practical. Shame they don't seem to do that building any more.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #497 on: August 31, 2023, 01:26:20 AM »
Great job on the weathering. Sometimes things need to wait until the stars align for the best paint job.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #498 on: September 03, 2023, 06:07:14 PM »
@Lost Egg: Cheers! I'm a big fan of hard foam terrain myself. Yeah, I picked that what-ever-that-building-is up when they sold it off. Shame they cut back on their range of foam stuff. Especially since they used to combine MDF with the foam stuff. That wasn't half bad.

@syrinx0: Cheers! Yeah, or until I finally cave in and take the time out of stuff I should be doing. ;)

Speaking of which - i made something whilst stuff I should be doing was drying.

Should I group them together on two bases or keep them just as separate pieces for flexibility? What do you think?

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #499 on: September 08, 2023, 09:55:02 PM »
Part of why I made these cacti is because I'm working on these here right now:

full size image:

They are, so to speak, test figures for a larger army. :) They are still WIP, because I wanted to have the blue and the general access approved before I apply decals. Hope you like them!

Eh good that I have minimal time now before getting feedback from the gentleman I painted them for, because today an incredibly important emergency came in that needs to be dealt with "as soon as possible" because someone is starting a campaign. Nothing is more ruinous for my plans than these emergencies, but it is a nice Goff Ork Dreadnought. But then I'm right back on the Ultramarines. So much for the plans for my immediate future. Have a nice weekend. :D

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #500 on: September 09, 2023, 07:47:46 PM »
That is very much some old school marines there. 

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #501 on: September 18, 2023, 07:46:31 AM »
@LouieN: Yup, quite. :) While I put them together I realized I never ever built/painted RTB01 Marines though.

Another WIP shot, this time of the vehicles:

Hope you like them so far. :) I approach this with more caution or a bit more respect than I would contemporary vehicles because a.) if I break something (and with these models it actually is possible to do that) it can't be replaced easily. I mean I have an old rhino/predator somewhere in the stashes, but wouldn't wanna have to resort to using spares from that kit. :P B.) I have to hit a certain look, right? So progress is slower than I feel it could be, but that's okay. In the end it's about what the final product looks like. As you can see, I opted for not painting the side hatches on the Whirlwind red (as usually was the thing with support vehicles in 2nd edition). But as mentioned before, this is supposed to be an "early 3rd edition" army (main reference being the rulebook and codex Space Marines), which to my interpretation has a few little differences to an all-classic 2nd edition (main reference being Codex Ultramarines). I keep most of the 2nd edition look, as did the studio army of the time, but with tiny little changes that will make people say "this is wrong!" and I'll say "technically I'm not! Which is the best way of not being wrong!". And then people and I have a little, petty staredown before we each realize that the other side knows their stuff and then we have beers and curry and complain about how things are now as opposed to then. The joys of being old. :D

« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 07:49:45 AM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #502 on: September 18, 2023, 08:33:10 AM »
...As you can see, I opted for not painting the side hatches on the Whirlwind red (as usually was the thing with support vehicles in 2nd edition). But as mentioned before, this is supposed to be an "early 3rd edition" army (main reference being the rulebook and codex Space Marines), which to my interpretation has a few little differences to an all-classic 2nd edition (main reference being Codex Ultramarines). I keep most of the 2nd edition look, as did the studio army of the time, but with tiny little changes that will make people say "this is wrong!" and I'll say "technically I'm not! Which is the best way of not being wrong!". And then people and I have a little, petty staredown before we each realize that the other side knows their stuff and then we have beers and curry and complain about how things are now as opposed to then. The joys of being old. :D

That had me laughing :D

Also; pretty close to how I imagine comments on my armies would go down, bar the happy ending, for I have yet have to meet my match in silly niche-lore mastery (in real life)... lol

The vehicle pool is looking awesome though, and as I said; I can appreciate the nuances between early 3rd vs late 2nd. You should include a twin-lascannon or twin-heavy bolter Razorback to really press the concept home ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #503 on: September 19, 2023, 03:41:55 AM »
Should I group them together on two bases or keep them just as separate pieces for flexibility? What do you think?
Make another set and do both ideas.

Grimm

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sigur in Space! - Update: 2nd edition Ultramarines!
« Reply #504 on: September 19, 2023, 05:06:12 AM »
Go for the individual bases.
Beers and curry sound best. 

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #505 on: October 11, 2023, 12:06:18 AM »
@Daeothar: :D Well, maybe the gentleman I build and paint these for will add either of them at a later point. Would be pretty cool.

@Grimmnar: Yeah, that would give me the most to play with for sure.

@syrinx0: Indeed!

:P

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #506 on: October 11, 2023, 06:41:43 AM »
Wow! Love the box art pic! Superb stuff

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #507 on: October 11, 2023, 08:35:07 AM »
I used to drool over pictures of that very box and dream of how I would paint them...  ::)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #508 on: October 11, 2023, 11:24:46 AM »
never did get into 40k, and increasingly pleased I didn't (pleased pos.. wrong word; more like 'relieved'. The temptation remains in terms of the models alone).

However, anything Sigur is a treat: both painting / modelling ('natch), but also your b/ground wordsmith-ery.

Lovely.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 03:15:49 PM by Bloggard »

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #509 on: October 12, 2023, 02:46:08 PM »
@Daeothar: :D Well, maybe the gentleman I build and paint these for will add either of them at a later point. Would be pretty cool.

@Grimmnar: Yeah, that would give me the most to play with for sure.

@syrinx0: Indeed!

:P

Genius, looks absolutely legit.

I was never into 2nd ed 40k, I stepped back from wargames probably just before 2nd ed was released, and I've never really enjoyed the aesthetic as I have no nostalgia for it.

Still, I have have to admire the craft on display here all the same.

Well done.