Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:54:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Waterloo with Volley and Bayonet  (Read 3220 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Waterloo with VnB
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 07:42:54 PM »
Now, I swapped the ESCI Scots Greys heads with British RHA tarletons, converted to make the Blues and the Reds Household Cavalry helmets.
But, don't be afraid! The RHA artillerists didn't lose their heads in vain, they got instead the Scots Greys oilcloth shakos and, after some further surgery, were converted to British field artillery.
Back in 1988 one couldn't find any suitable plastics for conversions than AIRFIX and ESCI.
I even made some British line dragoons, converting French cuirassiers helmets.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:48:46 PM by DintheDin »
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 05:27:24 AM »
Volley & Bayonet rules are offered for big battles in brigade level, especially when you have a second and third line of troops.
I want to thank once more Aris who introduced us to this system, posting the tables of the other three battles of Waterloo campaign we played, for which he so kindly provided the maps.

Quatre Bras

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 05:27:45 AM »
Ligny

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 05:28:10 AM »
Wavre

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »
I want to thank once more Aris who introduced us to this system, posting the tables of the other three battles of Waterloo campaign we played, for which he so kindly provided the maps.

Quatre Bras

I love the battlefield of all four battles [Q. Bras, Ligny, Waterloo and Wavre]. A dream that came true thanks to Aris, who created and provided all 4 maps

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 11:05:23 PM »
That looks really great, why did you not use models for the woods in the same way as the buildings and bridges?

V&B is a great set of rules for battles of this size.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 04:17:37 AM »
That looks really great, why did you not use models for the woods in the same way as the buildings and bridges?
Thank you. The idea was to keep the terrain items as few as possible and give prominence to the map. A few houses for Ligny and Q. Bras, and  one house for Hougoumont would be more than enough. We also used an item to designate  the rivers  at Ligny and Wavre,  only because they were not so prominent in the map... As Aris said, this is not something we would like do in every game, but it gave us the feeling of been the main protagonists of the drama...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:54:36 AM by miltiades »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 06:54:09 AM »
I would like to second Miltiades on that. This is what we had decided when we played the four battles of Waterloo campaign on the real maps: To keep additional terrain minimal, so that to have the feeling of a tabletop simulation as if we were the actual generals. We didn't even put height elevations. (they could be clearly seen on the map). The only features we thought was essential to be put, were the buildings/villages to serve as main landmarks/victory points locations, bridges and rivers. In this context, letting the map as level and plain as possible, we could find small features and written names of lesser landmarks on the field, otherwise unknown and never mentioned on the regular maps we use when playing such a wargame. Personally, studying these blown up maps, I enjoyed the art of the cartographers of the period, whose technique of drawing straight, parallel lines and unvarying repeated terrain features, was impeccable!  :)       

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Waterloo with Volley and Bayonet
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »
Ligny: French troops advancing to meet the Prussians (in the background)
A pic from ground level perspective.
The river marks the impassable terrain. Buildings mark the villages sitting astride the river, where the river could be crossed.
A simplified terrain, all what we needed to have an enjoyable game. Besides this, fields, roads and village names are already depicted  :)

Offline noigrim

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 09:26:46 PM »
Nice to see more people playing in 1/72
the map is a marvelous idea, altough the houses could have been bigger  ;)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »
Nice to see more people playing in 1/72
the map is a marvelous idea, altough the houses could have been bigger  ;)

Couldn't be  ;) as in Volley and Bayonet rules, there is a visual convention.
Each building represents a whole village (may house one infantry unit).
I'm not completely happy, but let's live with that.

Indeed, we have thousands of 1/72 figures from our youth, especially Napoleonic, with many conversions, as at these times it was impossible to find the wide range of troops of any nation offered nowadays... Back in 1989, I created a whole Bavarian army using French line infantry bodies and modified RHA tarletons!?!