Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:41:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690932
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley gaming area W.I.P. - Deadline long past work goes on new PICs added  (Read 3505 times)

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
Hello

It is the Thursday before a Saturday game day, and as all to often happens I am scrambling to get the tables set up! The dock and tramp steamer, and the 'rough' part of town having been sitting on my table unpainted and only sort of placed in a proper set up.

Over the last couple of days I have assembled the train track, cut/painted/and applied scenic material to the track roadbed, painted the ship, finished building the crane, and painted some of the base coat on the gaming mat. Two nights and part of Saturday morning to complete this project, oh and also clean up the room so that the group can walk in some degree of safety.

In the end I should have 4 gaming areas for PA. The docks and the slum area are two separate gaming areas that could also meet somewhere in the middle for a single game area. Then two other tables will each have a layout for gaming.

My big question: Why do I always seem to wait until the last moment?
For some reason motivation always seems to come at the last minute!

Oh well

Here be the pics:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:38:07 AM by Menelduir »
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline Troll

• Librarian
Looking good. I think for some of us a sense of urgency is needed before we begin a project. For me my creative burst come about 2 days before I run a game.  Lots of last minute painting and assembly.

Hope everything turns out well.

Troll
"If there is a universal mind must it be sane?" Charles Fort

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Wow! Looking great! I can't wait to see it in action.  :D

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Impressive project!
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
Wow!  :o Plenty of scope for Pulp mayhem there! I'm looking forward to the game report.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Thanks for the comments!

With my room, and miniature games in general, it is sometimes important to see the before picture of the mess, to understand that what looks messy when we get together to play is actually cleaned up! (hope that makes sense)

As it stands I expect 5 players on Saturday, and right now there is not enough clear space to have 2 of them let
alone all 5 of them in the room!

It feels like my room should be featured in an episode of hoarders!  o_o

However it always seems to work out in the end, I don't know how, it's a mystery.   :)

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
Looks a great start! Love boards like this  :D Really like the variety in the buildings - am I seeing resin from Old Glory, a 4ground warehouse, and even some Woodland Scenics O scale buildings?

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Re: Pulp Alley gaming area W.I.(a)P. - Work in actual progress! New Pics
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 05:09:50 AM »
The countdown to Saturday game day, start time 2pm Saturday.

The night? before the game (actually 2 AM Saturday 12 hours away) o_o
No where near ready, only worked on the one table (two game areas docks/slum) no work on cleaning/clearing the mess disaster that is my room...

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:16:23 AM by Menelduir »

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
And the tables were an enjoyable setting for yesterday's games of Pulp Alley!

It's a shame that Pulp Alley's scenario durations and movement distances don't allow for all that much tactical use of building interiors, though, although I suppose that that may be more feasible with more combat-oriented, non-pulp rules.

Offline soldado

• Scientist
lovely work on all that.

Can I ask about the TTCombat frieghter? did you use blue foam to deepen and lengthen the hull?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Very inspiring! can you tell us a little about the buildings you have used there?

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
And the tables were an enjoyable setting for yesterday's games of Pulp Alley!

It's a shame that Pulp Alley's scenario durations and movement distances don't allow for all that much tactical use of building interiors, though, although I suppose that that may be more feasible with more combat-oriented, non-pulp rules.

Glad you enjoyed the game! Now with your duo league it would be hard for your team to do a lot of exploring. If you remember we did do a lot of in house fighting in one of the our games (AAR to be posted soon).

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Yes I used 1" blue styrofoam double stacked to increase the height and length of the T Combat ship. It was the Wednesday before the game day that I cut and sanded it into shape. I was originally going to cover the hull with textured black craft paper, but after paining it black I figured it would look good enough for this game. If I leave it as is I plan to add some 'rust' to the hull and upper structure.

By the way the stern is a red plastic basket that would be used at a picnic. I found a set of 3. I planned to use 1 for a gondola for a planned airship... 

The crane is by Fenris games Arkham Avenue.
The factory is the set by Sarissa, as are the tracks and the rolling stock.
The 'slum' buildings are mostly Old Glory resin, with two TT Combat MDF buildings.
The big red warehouse is also Old Glory
The sand coloured warehouse is from Ziterdes
Then there is the 4ground warehouse, only had time to finish the first floor.

Did I miss anything? :)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Glad you enjoyed the game! Now with your duo league it would be hard for your team to do a lot of exploring. If you remember we did do a lot of in house fighting in one of the our games (AAR to be posted soon).

Yes, it would have been. Even with larger leagues, though, there usually seems to be just enough time if the league stays in the streets and out of the buildings, as in the China Town setting. Right, was that the game where the leprechaun almost showed up?

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Re: Pulp Alley gaming area W.I.(a)P. - Deadline reached Pics included
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 03:49:43 AM »
Well at the end of the gaming day Saturday, the tables and room had achieved a mostly done feel.
Some buildings were more done than others, but no one complained...

In total we played 5 games on Saturday, 1 on the docks, 1 in the 'slums', 1 in the 'Eastside' and 2 in Chinatown.

The dock game was a 3 player game that went right down to the wire, with one league playing the spoiler taking victory from one league, but ironically not achieving the victory themselves, and instead they unintentionally allowed the third league to win the game.

All the other games were two player games.

Here are post game pics, more pics will follow in an after game report or two.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:13:15 AM by Menelduir »