Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:10:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Deadzone & Kill Team efforts  (Read 17447 times)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Deadzone & Kill Team efforts
« on: June 25, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »
Repurposed these old 40k orks. Should get first game on Tuesday. First, da boss.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 03:19:54 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Orks for Shadow War Armageddon
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 11:43:12 AM »
Then da back up.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:43:53 AM »
Then, a special operative.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 12:57:37 PM »
One suggestion..

Big shotas and red dot laser light on everything that you expect to hit anything (especially Big shotas - which are awesome weapons)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:28:55 AM by AWu »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 11:28:40 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Where do I buy red dot laser sights? Won't they look a bit high tech for Orks?

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »
Very nice. :)

Orks are good with technology; probably ahead of the Imperium when it comes to forcefields and teleportation. Most Mekboys of course don't understand the deeper coherences of technology, but neither do the Techpriests on Mars. Squats are good with technology and they actually understand it too, IIRC. But ...oh well. ;) So yeah, laser sights are perfectly fine for Orks. No need to build them on top of things, just paint a red dot onto the sights of the guns.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 12:32:27 AM »
They are in miscellaneous stuff.

@Sigur:
Agree, that is a classic fluff, I quite hated when they dumbed down Orks to being simpleton brutes in 3rd Edition.

Anyway if you consider them too high tech my friend uses  targeting squid amd targeting grot as counts as red dot laser light :P
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:36:38 AM by AWu »

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 06:51:09 AM »
Remember, they are Orks. There are no need for the red dot gizmo to be small and discreet.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 06:14:11 AM »
Very cool!

I'm hoping my ork opponent doesn't start buying red dot sights! He's using points for recruiting two boys or yoofs after each match- which is more than I can permanently kill each game ;)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
Nice models.

I will bear in mind the red dot option.

How about a grot with a tape measure?

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »
Had super first game of Shadow War. Raid, with Tyranids invading my Ork turf. Like an idiot I positioned the entrance towards my table edge without realising my opponent could take any table edge. But then I rolled all my 9 orcs to be sentinels guarding the turf. And he had only two Tyranids. The Tyranids walked on and started blasting the entrance. My orks mostly ran from the centre of the board to try get in between the Tyranids and the entrance and my rokkit launcha took a pot shot, and hit a Tyranid taking off one wound! The Tyranids shot again at the entrance and mostly missed. My orks mobbed and killed one Tyranid, who died after the game! The other Tyranid decided to leg it. So much down to dice. My opponent, great guy with decades of experience was so disgusted with having lost on dice (no strategy from me really) that he's restarting his Kill Team.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:00:27 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 01:12:49 PM »
My second game, immediately after my first was against a great dude from New York State, Iove  London, with 11 orks against my 9. We both had a rokkit launcha but he hadn't taken a heavy stubber like me.

It was scavenge. We mostly got the rules right apart from forgetting about pinning (do orks care anyway...) and the monster lurking around edges. But we didn't need more violence.

I put my token in the centre; he put his towards the edge. I chose that edge and ran in and grabbed the one token, learning from being on the receiving end of that in my first game.

As per the pics, a fight ensued over the bridge in the centre of the table to get the second with most orks getting into close quarters there to get the objective and others hanging back from other structures shooting at each other and wherever they could get a clear shot into the melee. Let's just say the heavy stubber made all the difference and I potted off more than he did, and they mostly fell to greater injury below. I don't think anyone's rokkit launcha caused any damage at all.

I realised with orks you basically want to charge and keep charging. Plus one for charge and plus one for being an ork charging! And because there are so many modelling options you can give everyone two hand weapons. And they're all toughness four!

So there was lots of hand to hand over the bridge, with orks throwing each over the sides. Was like Stamford Bridge in 1066. Or that Roman legend with the Etruscans. His boss with a power fist owned that battle. I need a power fist! But my sneaky critters had grabbed the second marker and run off the table.

My boss was taken out of action, along with a yoof, and will miss next game. But my poor opponent had like 6 guys taken out of action and his rokkit launcha died (probably a good thing overall...they're useless). Again, can't say I strategically out thought my opponent.  My dice were probably a bit better and he'd messed up on set up. And the heavy stubber...

I'm also not sure about grenades. My opponent excitedly ran up opposite the bridge and lobbed a grenade onto a lot of my orcs. If it had gone off I reckon everyone would have been wounded, pinned or knocked off the bridge. But he missed and then ammo dice rolled a dud. So for twenty five points you've got to not get shot first, get close, get a hit with an ork and then pray not to dud and ammo roll! I might give some to a yoof and he could just sneak up from behind fighting and lob it in just for orks fun. I have loads of ork grenades for some reason.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
Very cool!

I'm hoping my ork opponent doesn't start buying red dot sights! He's using points for recruiting two boys or yoofs after each match- which is more than I can permanently kill each game ;)

Now you see, this is it. After two games where I think you get 100 points a game, and can cash in promethium cashes for 100 points (and I have won 3), I think I can but huge numbers of orcs. So as not to be an absolute dork, I think I will get four more guys. A yoof with shoota as with sustained fire and +1 on close range (everything happens within 12 inches) they are a bit of a pain for the other guy and keep him honest. But I'm getting a boy with chainsaw and choppa, slugga and choppa and, for fun, a yoof with grenades and slugga.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
The desert sand bases minis show what my painting was like in 1999, before washes and other better GW paints.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
I'll tidy them up as per the first pics in this thread. And maybe paint the new plastics I cobbled together from Warhammer sprues and random blood bowl bits from non GW manufacturers.