Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:16:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Game Designer Stewart Wieck Passes at 49  (Read 711 times)

Offline Davros

• Librarian
Game Designer Stewart Wieck Passes at 49
« on: June 25, 2017, 10:19:33 PM »
    I would to share this with everyone here:

"The team at Chaosium is saddened by news of the sudden passing of our hobby game industry friend and colleague Stewart Wieck.

Stewart's accomplishments were many and varied in publishing, including co-founding White Wolf Game Studio, co-creating the World of Darkness, and serving as the original designer of the wonderful and inventive Mage: The Ascension. Stewart also directed White Wolf's fiction line, which produced well-regarded World of Darkness novels and anthologies, as well as acclaimed releases and reprints from such authors as Neil Gaiman, Nancy Collins, and Michael Moorcock. In recent years Stewart's company Nocturnal Media has published the King Arthur Pendragon RPG, enabling original designer Greg Stafford to continue working on his labor of love.

In talking with other writers and game designers this evening, trying to describe what it was that made Stewart's approach to publishing so special, I realized that it was his esprit de corps

Stewart treated all creators, whether novice or veteran, as comrades and as important. When news of his passing began to spread across social media tonight, so did the tales of his many kindnesses. Stewart's creative contributions made hobby gaming more enjoyable and interesting. His actions as a business leader and an individual made the hobby gaming community a better, kinder place.

Our condolences go out to Stewart's family and loved ones, and his friends and fans around the world. He will be sorely missed. "

James Lowder
24 June 2017

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Re: Game Designer Stewart Wieck Passes at 49
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:43:57 AM »
I got into miniature gaming by way of role-playing.  Until the 90s it was Dungeons and Dragons in whatever form and supers stuff.  It wasn't the genre; I'm still not a fan of urban magic and vampires but White Wolf gave me roleplaying as I wanted to be playing it.  They in were the vanguard of the narrative, story driven systems that offered a departure from "roll-playing" and emphasized the concept of shared storytelling.

Mr. Wieck was a imaginative and brilliant creator who made role-playing something greater than it was for me before he came onto the scene.  I don't role-play much any more but the storytelling war-gaming that I enjoy is derivative of the experiences I had exploring the White Wolf universes.