Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:36:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Need an idea on how much will it cost to 3dprint a vehicle  (Read 739 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Yeah, just saw this beautiful Tau vehicle on Thingiverse (and no, it isn't a copy of an official vehicle) but I have no idea how much will it cost to 3D print it. Can someone here take a look at the files and give me a rough idea on how much will it cost?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2404366

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Need an idea on how much will it cost to 3dprint a vehicle
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 02:26:19 AM »
And after trying several online companies I've discovered that a) some of the files need to be corrected b) all of them are asking for more than £200 for the parts that they can print and that's way above my budget  :(

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 03:53:18 AM »
I've run into the same issue.

3D printing is still frightfully expensive for anything that isn't microscale.

I've had excellent results with 1/350 Shapeways aircraft, but for larger scales you just need to own your own printer.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 04:36:38 AM »
IMO, between the cost of outsourcing prints, and the myriad of other costs owning your own printer would reduce (like buying resin kits for scenery and vehicles), I'm of the opinion that it's well worth it financially to just go ahead and buy or build your own printer. Only reason I haven't done it myself is because I've not had the lump sum freed up yet, but it's definitely on the short list.

So IMO convince yourself it's worth it to spend 300 on printing just that one model... and then buy a printer with that money. You'll get your model, plus a font of others that'll cost pennies to print instead of dozens or hundreds of dollars to buy in resin or MDF.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 01:14:03 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys. Maybe I'll get a printer soon and bug everyone with more questions then  lol

Scurv - sorry, I don't know how many meters of material will it need. One of the sites had that info but I deleted it as soon as I saw they wanted $280 for the model.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 02:28:45 AM »
Thanks Scurv! I'll keep an eye out on the files to see if the owner updates them and I'll definitively check those wanhao printers since the company has a representative her in Portugal! Thanks once again for the tip-