Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:23:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Basing  (Read 10297 times)

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
Re: Basing
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 03:12:41 PM »
I used to belong exclusively to the slottabase camp (it's just the way I was raised) but these days seem to have migrated almost exclusively to the warmachine style lipped base - there doesn't seem to be enough room on a 25mm slotta to do anything interesting basing-wise...

I guess I'm just not old-school enough to be able to get away with washers or money...

Offline Galman

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 03:59:46 PM »
Yeah I went with the slot bases.  Got a ton laying around from my huge Ork army.  They always seem to pack 10 extras in the boxes I get. 
I hear you that there is not alot of room on them, but you can make do. 

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 04:45:16 PM »

I guess I'm just not old-school enough to be able to get away with washers or money...

Oh are washers considered old now?   :o
Old school to me is narrow, thin strips of cardboard (cereal packets) painted green!!!  lol
I use MDF for basing units and individual figures - you can get alot of sand, gravel and static grass onto an MDF base
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 05:03:45 PM »

I'm 22, techno music is considered old...

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
I use round Slotta Bases for cavalry and infantry. Works well with LotOW, Rules with no Name and Brother against Brother (the Slotta Base would be even high enought to paint playing card markings on the backside of the base instead of under them, but I'm still wondering if I should do that, or print mini playing cards and work them into the base decoration).

I don't think they will work fine with comany sized games as the minis are to far apart. Looking at my 191 ACW Union Infantrists and my 24 cavalrists I now think I should have better chosen square bases....
Far less active than I used to...

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »
I get pre-cut plywood bases from Fenris Games: here.

Pretty much the same effect as a 2p coin, but I don't like the weight of 2p coins attached as bases.  I don't much like cast metal bases, either, for that matter for the same reason - except on larger models - but the size of these gives me the stability I like for gaming without the weight.

Of course, I also don't use 2p coins as I can't stand the thought of defacing the Queen, even when it is just on coinage :o More tea, vicar? ;)

Offline Skipp

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 09:12:46 PM »
I use 2p's, then glue minis on, a bit of basetex, then paint, talus and woodland scenics grass... all in that order...

I like the weight a 2p gives a mini, washers do similar job... or 1p for 15mm...

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 09:41:21 PM »
I'm firmly in the 25mm round slottabase camp - but then I'm used to 20mm square bases for Mordheim, so 25mm round bases to my eyes seem to have a LOT of space to add details.
Where I'm stuck, though, is with the horses. 40mm round bases just seem far too big for me. You just can't get two horses (or cattle, or what-have-you) side by side with 40mm round bases. Suddenly a herd of horses seems pretty small if you have to try to fit them into a corall, or something, or even if you have a mounted model trying to move between two buildings. My problem is that I just don't like the idea of mixing round bases for models on foot with 25x50 rectangular bases for horses. Of course, this is just my feeling on this issue, as I haven't had to do it in a game yet. I'm still painting my first posse!
I have been thinking, though, that what I might do for horses is use 25mm square bases with a 25mm semicircle at each end (made by cutting a normal 25mm round base in half) to make a base that is somewhere in between a rectangle and a circle - if that makes any sense. I'm not certain what the name of the geometric shape would be (it's not an oval - is it an elipse? No, I don't think so...). Anyway, you know what I'm getting at. Sort of like the shape of the Circus Maximus (only smaller, of course...).
What do you think?

p.s. Now I realize that I'm going to have to actually do this and post pictures.... It was going to happen eventually, I supppose, but just let me get my light box first. Then my painting might not look so bad!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 03:18:11 PM »
Like this kind of shape for horses, Hawkeye?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30-x-60mm-DS-cavalry-bases-granite-flagstones-set-of-6_W0QQitemZ180179121251QQihZ008QQcategoryZ56363QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

These are 25x50mm bases with the display-base style lip.

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 04:25:02 PM »

I'm 22, techno music is considered old...

Techno music??  lol

Offline Galman

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »
Every time I hear the phrase Techno Music, I think of the AT&T commercial.  With the college kid stuck in a Hostel with Slad.  lol

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 04:43:20 PM »

Of course, I also don't use 2p coins as I can't stand the thought of defacing the Queen, even when it is just on coinage :o More tea, vicar? ;)

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol :o lol

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol :o lol

Don't worry.  I'm not that bad :)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »
Yes, Keeper, that's exactly the sort of shape I'm thinking of - except that if I can find/make them at 25x50, that's what I'll go for. 30mm wide for horses seems fine to me, but 60mm long seems kind of ... well, long. Hmmm. Something else to think about.

As far as the coin basing thing is concerned, isn't there in issue in the US about damaging/defacing currency? I remember reading it somewhere and thinking it was odd, particularly since so many people in Britain are willing to deface the Queen! Although, actually, since I'm from Ireland, the Euro presented none of these problems. Nice, faceless coins... In fact, now that I think of it, even with the old currency in Ireland (the punt) before the Euro, none of the coins had faces on them. They all had animals.

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 06:47:21 PM »

Don't worry.  I'm not that bad :)

lol Its OK - I understand irony! "It's like Bronzey, only made of iron"
Just had to quote Baldrick