Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:30:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Basing Query  (Read 857 times)

Offline Plutarch64

• Scientist
Basing Query
« on: June 28, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »
I am about to venture into 28mm Renaissance after a thirty year absence and would appreciate some advice.

I was originally planning to do just ECW but am now thinking I might like to expand the project into Eastern Europe with Ottoman Turks and Poles.

I enjoyed George Gush's WRG rules back in the day, where the base frontage for 28mm figures had a width of 60mm, with either four, three or two figures to a base depending upon whether they were close order, order, or open order infantry respectively, with the depth of the base also varying according to troop type. The rules therefore covered most troop variants and theatres quite nicely.

Is there any rule set or basing "convention" that might cover ECW and Polish-Ottoman conflicts, and yet provide the flexibility to pit disparate troop types against one another?

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Basing Query
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 02:20:48 PM »
Field of Glory:Renaissance and DBR both use a 60mm frontage for 25m/28mm figures.
(And both are pretty good sets of rules)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 07:16:22 PM »
I also agree, as I've played lots of enjoyable games with both rule sets.
We played De Bellis Renationis (DBR) in the past and five years now, we play FOG-Renaissance and we managed to play quite a lot of historical battles with closely historical results.
As SteveBurt already said, both use a 60mm frontage for 25/28mm figures.
My armies are in 15mm, so, by analogy they are based on a frontage of 40mm, 20mm depth for infantry, 30mm depth for cavalry and 40mm depth for artillery.
Poles vs Ottomans is my favorite! Here is my last relevant thread, for the Siege of Vienna, 1683
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=99842.0
As it is designed to be played with FOG-Renaissance rules, you may have an idea for the organization of the units: Usually 6 bases for an infantry regiment/unit and 4 bases for cavalry. Shot infantry goes 3 to a base, Pikes can be 4 to a base, Heavy cavalry 3 figs to a base and foot skirmishers and light cavalry, 2 figures/base.
For purely Eastern Europe conflicts, I'm burning to have a look at the "By Fire and Sword" rules, I've heard many good words, but I have no personal experience. The frontage used is the same.
I wish you good luck for your new venture, I'm sure it will offer you many hours of thrilling and enjoyment!  
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Plutarch64

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:08:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys, they are very much appreciated. It looks as though I was thinking along the correct lines - I have DBR, but will now also invest in Field of Glory.

Lovely work on the Siege of Vienna DintheDIn, and I know I'll be returning to that many times for inspiration. Great stuff, and just what I am hoping to achieve in my own modest way.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 05:54:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys, they are very much appreciated. It looks as though I was thinking along the correct lines - I have DBR, but will now also invest in Field of Glory.

Lovely work on the Siege of Vienna DintheDIn, and I know I'll be returning to that many times for inspiration. Great stuff, and just what I am hoping to achieve in my own modest way.

Thank you for your good words.
Do try to invest in Field of Glory Rennaissance, it is nearly the only game I love to play five years now.
I tried also, with some minor modification to test it for the Age of Marlborough and up to SYW and it worked!
I'm glad you liked Vienna, I send you two other threads we played FOG-R.
In both, features Eugene of Savoy vs the Ottomans
Battle of Zenta 1697
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=97535.msg1208557#msg1208557

Battle of Petrovaradin 1716
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=93897.0
I hope you'll find something interesting.

Cheers,
Dinos

Offline Plutarch64

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:46:36 AM »
Thanks again Dinos, it really is terrific stuff and makes me more determined than ever.

Yes, I think I will invest in FOG-R. I purchased all the FOG Ancient rules and supplements when they were first released, but stopped short at the Renaissance rules but wish now I had just gone ahead a bought them. There seem to be a few copies on e-bay however, so I don't think I'll have a problem picking them up.

I'm quite looking forward to getting stuck into a new project to give me a break from my usual Napoleonics, so thanks again for your assistance on this. Just what I was looking for.

Cheers,
Lawrence

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 07:04:06 PM »
I'm glad to hear that! I've played DBM from the time it appeared and then, several years FOG.
Since you've played FOG, FOG-R will come very easy to you.
When I met FOG-Renaissance, I was convinced that the rules mechanism was fitting like a glove for this period and not for the ancients.
I hope you'll find quickly what you need for your FOG-R start, for any further information, feel free to e-mail me.
Meanwhile, if you haven't yet, pay a visit to Madaxeman's page, you'll find tons of information, army lists and other interesting stuff.

http://madaxeman.com/FOGR/tiki-index.php

http://www.madaxeman.com/auction_listing/25mm_renaissance_auction_listings.php

Best regards,
Dinos

Offline Plutarch64

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 01:09:13 AM »
I managed to locate a copy of the rules online last night, and ordered the army lists from Amazon, so should have these within a few weeks. Madaxeman's site looks like a great resource, and I'll have hours of fun picking through that. Thanks again Dinos.