Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:41:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Perry Colonial Range?  (Read 17282 times)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
New Perry Colonial Range?
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:59:47 AM »
There seems to be a bit of speculation regarding the new range being released this Saturday on the Perries stand at Salute. Seems the vote is going the way of one of the 19th century wars, probably the Crimea but the NW Frontier and Zulu Wars have had a lot of mention.

As I shall not be leaving Australia to attend  :'(I do hope (if the rumour is true) that a few people from the forum will take copious photos and post them here.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: New Perry Colonial Range?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:45:26 AM »
Ooooh - I do love a bit of speculation...

I've heard the speculation about a new Crimean War range, but that's not from the Perrys...

One would hazard plastic Zulus are a bit of a no-brainer, but can't help feeling the Zulu market is suddenly getting very crowded again after a lull of a decade or so...

Plastic Sudanese would make sense as an extension of their existing metal range.

But personally I hope it's NW Frontier. The Perry Afghan tribesmen were some of their best ever sculpts for Foundry; it's a badly under-represented theatre (unlike pesky Zulus!); and it happens to be the Colonial era/theatre which I like to play  ;)

So I hope you're right.

Rest assured, we'll keep you posted...

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:38:33 AM »
My guess would be boer wars after the feedback they got for Mafeking. I would love it!
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:11:46 PM »
It would be nice if they finished the Sudan range first, or is that too much to expect?
David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »
Yes, I must admit that Crimea would be way down on my wish list, though I'm sure I'd probably get hooked. I wonder if Michael Perry modelled up the Indian troops for the Sudan then thought...hang on..maybe this should be a new range ? I hope so.

Would Boer War offer enough troop variety for an entire range? Not a period I know much about.

Mutiny however seems to offer quite a huge area for troop types.

And what further troop types would people wish for in the Sudan range? I'd love to see a specials set (in the same vein as the General Gordon one) of a whaling voat from the river relief expedition with crew and a few Canadian Voyageurs...

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 01:40:39 PM »
And what further troop types would people wish for in the Sudan range? I'd love to see a specials set (in the same vein as the General Gordon one) of a whaling voat from the river relief expedition with crew and a few Canadian Voyageurs...
Transport for artillery, camel borne prefered.
Indian Infantry.
Indian cavalry.
General Gordon ~ not the silly, overpriced set available.
More Mahdist types ~ gets boring painting same figure over and over.

Offline pcohn

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 04:05:13 PM »
Mutiny however seems to offer quite a huge area for troop types...... I'd love to see a specials set (in the same vein as the General Gordon one) of a whaling boat from the river relief expedition with crew and a few Canadian Voyageurs...

I agree that the Mutiny would be a good choice. I wouldn't mind seeing the 1st Aghan War, Sikh Wars, or the Crimea, either.  I've been one of the ones speculating on TMP.

As for Canadian Voyageurs, I'd recommend reading Canadians on the Nile by Roy MacLaren,  University of British Columbia Press, ISBN 0-7748-0094-1, for a good read of their involvement.
Pat

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 04:09:09 PM »
Boer war would be nice I did it with their Brits and Boers but the range was lacking and the Mafeking stuff would be great I e-mailed them about getting their militia for 1938 use but no feed back though have seen some guys getting the figures in the US

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 07:33:20 AM »
Transport for artillery, camel borne prefered.
Indian Infantry.
Indian cavalry.
General Gordon ~ not the silly, overpriced set available.
More Mahdist types ~ gets boring painting same figure over and over.

I'd also add:

Wounded convoy (on Camels preferably on those cassonettes)
Water carts
Mounted Infantry
Soldiers sitting/ milling around camp
Native guides
Egyptian casualty figures
Egyptian Camel Corps
Camels with supplies etc
Riverboat crew
West African Kroomen
Canadian Voyageurs
Royal Engineers
Chinese Labourers
Vultures!

Mutiny however seems to offer quite a huge area for troop types...... I'd love to see a specials set (in the same vein as the General Gordon one) of a whaling boat from the river relief expedition with crew and a few Canadian Voyageurs...

I agree that the Mutiny would be a good choice. I wouldn't mind seeing the 1st Aghan War, Sikh Wars, or the Crimea, either.  I've been one of the ones speculating on TMP.

As for Canadian Voyageurs, I'd recommend reading Canadians on the Nile by Roy MacLaren,  University of British Columbia Press, ISBN 0-7748-0094-1, for a good read of their involvement.
Pat

That's the book I have. Quite a nice read on the Red River campaign which the British got involved with in Canada as well and which shaped Wolseley and his officers (Buller etc) for things to come..

Boer war would be nice I did it with their Brits and Boers but the range was lacking and the Mafeking stuff would be great I e-mailed them about getting their militia for 1938 use but no feed back though have seen some guys getting the figures in the US

What figures were these? Any pics?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 08:32:19 AM »
I have heard whispers of a new Indian Mutiny range and a new NWF range. Sounds very interesting, only 5 days to go and we shall see... ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 09:53:36 AM »
Mega Minis make nice vultures and i picked up some Vultures in flight recently on Ebay, brand unknown (quite large).

Vultures!

[/quote]

That's the book I have. Quite a nice read on the Red River campaign which the British got involved with in Canada as well and which shaped Wolseley and his officers (Buller etc) for things to come..

[/quote]
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 10:16:01 AM »
Mega Minis make nice vultures and i picked up some Vultures in flight recently on Ebay, brand unknown (quite large).

Vultures!

[/quote]
[/quote]

Here they are in the Mafeking article. A chap on TMP managed to order 50+ of the buggers the lucky sod

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »
Please don't let it be the mutiny! I have long wanted to game it, but have no time for a new period right now! NW Frontier would be lovely though since I have a few troops kicking around and just picked up a few Pontoonier minis at Cold Wars.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 12:45:43 PM »
Vultures!
[/quote
Foundry had Vultures, and many other African type animals, in their shop when I visited on the Open Day recently. The swimming croc was really nice I thought.
David

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 04:30:07 PM »
I have heard whispers of a new Indian Mutiny range and a new NWF range. Sounds very interesting, only 5 days to go and we shall see... ;)

Ah... India...  :-*

Make it be India...

:D