Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:46:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686439
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Jaffa bit of a relocation! Various Pulp Scenery and figures additions  (Read 15006 times)

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Re: Jaffa bit of a relocation! Oh Dear!! A Juke Box Temple.
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2019, 06:11:20 AM »
I again may be forced by matters beyond my control to go silent on Jaffa and projects.

Google are withdrawing certain services and this may effect my Blog. On which I host my pictures to link in here.

I hope it doesn't effect the Blog. While not the best. It at least gives me a picture host to show my Idiocy! And without pictures I feel there is no point in posting.

I am trying to find out more. But as is typical. The e-mail I received late last night was full of legal mumbo jumbo. I would just like someone at these corporations to say. "These are the services that will be effected." Then list them.

Here's hoping I will be able to keep the Blog. If not time to hunt for another then upload everything again.  :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:30:27 PM by MalcyBogaten »

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Re: Jaffa bit of a relocation! Gate update.
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2019, 12:00:33 PM »
Getting in a quick piccy or 2!

My Ruined gateway. I finally got my Portcullis mesh.  Finished off the gateway.

The Gate in place.

The stuff I used. 100mm square 7 mesh needlepoint canvas plastic. I found on ebay. 5 of these in a packet. The more I got the cheaper they were a packet. It is great and useful stuff.

Hope you like.

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2019, 06:17:28 PM »
That's good stuff.  I use it, too.  Also good for a grate over a pit of burning coals.

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2019, 12:31:36 PM »
That's good stuff.  I use it, too.  Also good for a grate over a pit of burning coals.

Thanks General. Yep a ton of uses.

Another new bit I started today.

This is a double Gate made out of the same stuff. Hinges are a bit sticky. Don't open as freely as I would like. I am going to be tinkering with them. But promising start.

Also the other one more in place.

I can obviously move them in the modular fashion I love. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:30:06 PM by MalcyBogaten »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Jaffa bit of a relocation! Another!Gate update.
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2019, 08:28:32 PM »
Very cool! It is always great to see what you come up with.  ;)

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2019, 12:41:22 AM »
Any ideas on how to make Egyptian style pillars from scratch?  I have trouble with the irregular, bulging shape.  They are not perfectly straight like Greek columns. 

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2019, 07:50:02 AM »
Any ideas on how to make Egyptian style pillars from scratch?  I have trouble with the irregular, bulging shape.  They are not perfectly straight like Greek columns. 

Hmmmm. I had a look at various types of Egyptian Pillars online.
These do look a little perplexing to get the bulbous bulging sections of the column to look right. At least in my minds eye and using my usual methods.  ???

I thought about wrapping multiple layers of ever smaller strips of address labels around the same section. To build up the bulbous shape? But that would also leave edges rather than a gradual curve. I suppose you could sculpt Milliput over it as well and smooth it. But that would be fiddly to do. Not quick and easy like I do.

As for the ones that have the rounded ridges running up their entire length? In 28mm scale... Again something that first occurred to me was corrugated cardboard. But that again could be weak and fiddly to affix to a suitable scaled column.

Anyone else with workable ideas? Dive in. I'll keep it in mind though.

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2019, 04:11:39 PM »
If you know anyone with a woodworking lathe they could made half a dozen in a few minutes from scrap wood.

Offline Jerm

• Assistant
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2019, 03:04:47 PM »
Not sure this would work, but have seen nice columns cobbled together from selected bits of wooden candlestick holders. Google images can supply some quick visuals, and the prices seemed reasonable (3 or 4 dollars each). Just took a quick gander and some candle bases and tips looked pretty usable. Perhaps build a frankenstein column using many different pieces glued and sanded into smoothness and cast as a master?
Here is a link to a possible piece-donating candidate?
https://www.consumercrafts.com/store/details/catalog/basics-wood-dowel-rods-and-turnings/9117-32?dssagcrid=lid=92700038490084894&ds_s_kwgid=58700004583139204&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000002797437&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtbnjBRDBARIsAO3zDl-z2H87eNE0_HBUwqTUEWmCCSI5Y3CBR_3aq4PzWtF-dDd4kIP14wEaAgmZEALw_wcB

Offline General

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2019, 03:22:11 AM »
The candlestick is an intriguing idea.  The right type of handle may work, too.  I will have to scrounge around at the Scrap Exchange.

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2019, 03:40:58 AM »
All good ideas. I would add to have a look at cake toppers/decorations. Wedding cakes had columns as layer supports. Some were plaster and others were chalk.
Also keep an eye open in cheap sections of toy shops. Sometimes in the army men section there are hidden jewels in a bag of them.
But I think your best bet may be ornaments from something like a scrap exchange.

I nearly always have a look in places like those or charity shops. Never know what you may find.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
https://malcybogaten.blogspot.com/

I am working on this "Monstrosity" at the moment.

A Mercedes air-filter my Brother gave me for my Birthday. Strange since I don't even have a car!

It has been driving me literally nuts! Trying to overcome painting it and basing it. More to do as always.  o_o

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Re: Jaffa bit of a relocation! Next step in the Juke Box Temple
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »
Well I am basing and have vined up the place a bit. Hairy string and cork tiling time. Also loads of Polyfilla!

The front.

The Side.

Hope it looks good so far.

https://malcybogaten.blogspot.com/

Offline General

• Scientist
Re: Jaffa bit of a relocation! Next Step in the Juke Box Temple
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2019, 09:22:09 PM »
How did it turn out? ???

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Re: Jaffa bit of a relocation! Next Step in the Juke Box Temple
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2019, 05:09:11 AM »
How did it turn out? ???

Sorry General

I was looking for a suitable Entranceway to continue with the Temple. I have found something I think will work now. Only got it yesterday from the works.
But sorry to say I would have been a lot quicker if I hadn't had such a recent run of being seriously ill.

I caught a Virus about 2 months ago and that floored me. Then just as I got over that. I put my back out and couldn't move or sleep without severe pain. Both exhausted me totally. Last 2 weeks I have had to do a useless course that was compulsory. So that left me no time and I already knew everything on the course anyway.

I am now getting set to continue with the Temple. Had plenty of time to plan my next steps. So soon I hope to have it done.

Again I am sorry to all who have been waiting.