Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:42:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691480
  • Total Topics: 118393
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for Napoleonic looking soldiers for... Frozen...  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Looking for Napoleonic looking soldiers for... Frozen...
« on: June 28, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
Right, this is a bit of an odd question really, but for sanity's sake, it has to be asked.

My 4 year old daughter (aka the little Khaleesi ;) ), like millions of other girls, has become a HUGE fan of the Frozen movie and all its characters. Basically, she lives and breathes Frozen and needs to be coaxed out of her prized Elsa dress every evening. I've even seen her stride through the garden, casting ice spells on everything in sight.

And being the enabling, weak parents we apparently are, we've bought her (way too) many Frozen themed toys, clothes, shoes, hairpins, coloring books, bed sheets and what else. My wife and I can sing along with every song and I swear I quote all of Olaf's lines in the movie.

Yes; it's bad... lol

So now I've gotten the idea of creating a Frostgrave band, completely Frozen themed. You know; for when she's old enough to actually play a miniatures game with her daddy (and to desperately keep out of her grasping claws until she is ready of course). You know; it might actually be therapeutic as well, just like singing along loudly with that song that you can't get out of your head. (or at least; that's what I'm telling myself... ::) ).

I've already sourced the obvious two leading ladies (Northstar Female Elementalist and Apprentice) and for Marshmallow (getting technical now :D ) I'll be using a Warmachine Dire Troll Mauler. Olaf, I'll be sculpting myself, but then there are some minis I'll be needing a bit of help with to source.

Firstly; the Arendelle Royal Guards. Apparently, the entire story is set in a fairy tale version of Norway, around 1840. So I'm looking for (sort of) Napoleonic soldiers with shako's and plain, long coats. Since this is a Disney movie, there are no firearms, so most are armed with javelins and arming swords (yeah... ::) ). So marching soldiers with muskets/rifles are probably not usable.

Obviously I can do head- and weapon swaps, and some sculpting is no issue either, so hopefully that will make sourcing these guys a bit easier.

So I'll be needing between 6 and 10 soldiers, dressed as mentioned, with separate arms or wielding spears/pikes/swords or even banners. Preferably in different poses, but in the same uniform. Two of these can be slightly different and actually be wielding a firearm, as I'll be needing two guys with crossbows as well (Weselton Bodyguards).

These are the guys I'm having no luck with right now, because I'm not versed at all in the Napoleonic era, so hopefully some of the guys from that neck of the woods might be able to point me in the right direction...

Also, I'm looking for a single guy dressed in Sami traditional clothing (Christoff), a reindeer (large and male) and representatives for some of the others as well (Oaken, Prince Hans, and the Duke of Weselton to be precise). But I'm not too worried about these, as there are many pulp, Victorian and other lines to choose from.

With all of these, I think I can fill some slots perfectly. Obviously Elsa will be the Mage, and Anna the Apprentice. Olaf is a construct of course and Christoff can be a Ranger, Treasure Hunter or Tracker. Prince Hans could be a Captain, Man at Arms or Templar, the Duke of Weselton is obviously a thief or a Treasure Hunter, and his bodyguards are Crossbowmen or Marksmen. Then there's Oaken, who could be an Apothecary or possibly a Barbarian and Sven can't be anything other than a pack animal. Oh; and the Guards will be Infantrymen, Men at Arms or (in a pinch) Thugs.

TLDR: looking for Napoleonic soldiers with shako's and plain, long coats and separate arms.

Whew, so now; feel and don't conceal and let it go... :D

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
Re: Looking for Napoleonic looking soldiers for... Frozen...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »
Albionnian soldiers from Warploque Miniatures maybe?

http://www.warploqueminiatures.com/the-albionnican-empire

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 11:31:49 AM »
You're not the first one doing Frozen Frostgrave:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=96997.0 No soldiers though.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=82932.0 Soldiers with shakos on page 3, made from Perry models.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »
Someone make some 'toy town' soldiers, but I fail to remember who? Perhaps someone else can shed further light on this?

Its not the Eureka ones I'm thinking of though, more generic Napoleonic style ones...

I've remembered now- the Mutton Chop ones. Unfortunately most armed with rifles...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:34:39 PM by westwaller »

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 04:55:21 AM »
I think Reaper might have a few suitable models for the soldiers in their Chronoscope range, and for Elsa and Anna there are two beautiful sculpts from Hasslefree (although I see that you have already sourced them elsewhere - still, worth looking at, though). I love the idea of using a Hordes Dire Troll Mauler for Marshmallow - those things are HUGE!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 08:43:47 AM »
Thanks all for the suggestions. There are some interesting ones in there, but I think traveller's suggestion is probably the easiest to do. I had been thinking about Perry plastics myself, but obviously Victrix will work just as well.

In fact, I think it all depends on how versatile the kits are; separate arms are pretty much essential, and the guns en-porte should preferably be separate as well, so at least the bodies can be used as is. And the description of the Victrix plastics tells me they have just that.

Now, if anyone can inform me how both ranges relate to one another in terms of scale. Considering the range of other miniatures I'm sourcing, the more heroic in stature the better, because I'm well aware that both Perry and Victrix scale their minis more realistically...