Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:16:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tactica Medieval Rules what do you think?  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
Tactica Medieval Rules what do you think?
« on: July 02, 2017, 09:09:36 PM »
I recently acquired a copy of Tactica Medieval rules as I'm still trying to find a set of Medieval rules to use for my Agincourt game.

So who here either have the rules or has played games with them?

Thanks
Michael

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Tactica Medieval Rules what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »
I've never actually heard of them to be honest.
Though that doesn't mean much, I've only been 'in the know' with historical wargaming for the last say, 3 years.... But I've never come across them in that time.

I think the 'top' (ie most popular) wargame rules for medieval games appear to be.....

- Hail Caesar (best suited to really big games)
- Sword & Spear
- To The Strongest
- Lion Rampart (for smaller, lighter games, or 'large skirmish')

Have you considered any of them? I know I like the look of Hail Caesar and it would be my choice if I was playing big games.
From what I've seen of Sword & Spear I'm personally  not keen on certain elements of it, but it does seem rather popular.
I don't know much about To The Strongest except that it uses a grid system, which makes it somewhat different.

Though to be honest, if you're just doing an Agincourt game, have you considered designing your own rules, or at least taking parts from different rules to build a simple set that would work for the game?
I mean, there's not really much in the way of tactical manoeuvre for an Agincourt game. The English just sit there and shoot the French as they come towards them. The French I guess just have to struggle with keeping cohesion through the mud and the press of bodies, though they do have a few decisions as to which troops to send in first and when (ie when do the cavalry attack, do they send the crossbowmen out front, etc). But the nature of the battlefield means there isn't much needed from a ruleset in terms of complicated movement. Just a way of resolving the success of either side in what they are doing, and some way of representing the difficulties the French has with keeping things ordered. Does it need any published ruleset?

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:39:16 PM »
I have Lion Rampart along with Revenge and Might of Arms so Tactica Medieval will give me 4 rulesets.

As for your other question since I just into Medieval gaming within the last several months I'm still new at this but I want to use the rules not just for Agincourt but for other Medieval Battles as well,plus I'm no rules writer and I don't want to start.

Plus the fact that most of the rules I got they were mostly cheap now if I can get some of the other rulesets that you have  I'd rather get them on the cheap.

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 04:27:51 AM »
I have Tactica Medieval. I also once owned a copy of Tactica, but sold it many years ago after Armati, also by Arty Conliffe, was released.

I've never played the medieval version, but the ancient set was characterised by large armies organised according to fixed army lists, very simple buckets-of-dice mechanics, rigid deployment, and a very limited capacity for units to manoeuvre once deployed - so correctly deploying was paramount. From memory the medieval version reduced army size somewhat, and changed the deployment rules so that units had to be assigned to one of three 'battles', but was otherwise very similar.

Tactica was often cited as the most realistic set of ancient rules on the market, but even many of those who conceded this point preferred to play with something less rigid - so Mr Conliffe compromised with Armati.

Armati is a more conventional set of rules, allowing more freedom of manoeuvre than Tactica, and the original version covers 3000BC to 1700AD. There was a second edition by a different author that ended the period covered at 1500AD, with the promise of a dedicated renaissance set further down the track that never eventuated.       

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 04:29:40 AM »
BTW... it's 'Lion Rampant'.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 06:26:49 AM »
My experience with Tactica is reduced to Ancients, a long time ago! (no pun intended!) I remember that the game was slow, unflexible and that it took a lot of time to solve a turn. Of course, being young and with a lot of time in my hands I loved it!

Nowadays? Let's say that there are games more entertaining out there.

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 04:26:16 PM »
Humakt Sword and Spear sounds interesting but it all depends on price doing the Agincourt game won't happen for sometime and since I have the Armies(French and English)and I'm adding to them as I write this the main problem is rules and I want to do a lot of Medieval gaming with whatever set of rules that I finally decide on so I'll give Tactica a go and see what happens.

And if that fails then I'll look for another set of Medieval rules.

Michael

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 07:40:58 PM »
They are a good set of rules.  I have played them a lot.  Some find them a bit "rigid" in army lists and in maneuver, but I think they are a lot of fun with usually well balanced games.   I have added my own house rules to them over the years too.

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 09:43:10 PM »
rampantlion might it be possible to get your house rules?

Also how do you think Medieval Tactica would work for an Agincourt game?

Michael

Offline StuRat

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 02:59:55 AM »
Tactica Medieval would be perfect for Agincourt.

I'd be surprised if refighting Agincourt wasn't one of the design goals.
Wait, I can't let you give me your last eight dollars. Here's five back.

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »
StuRat Tactica Medieval does have Agincourt as a scenario but the figures that they have in the Scenario are a little low for my taste.

In their Scenario they have each side at 216 figures now that number sounds good for the English since I have over 100 Archers alone but the French I want to have double if not more figures for them.

But it all depends on just how many figures I want to get for the French.

I think Tactica Medieval might be the answer for my rules but I'll need to talk it over with my friends.

Michael

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 04:55:51 PM »
Played Tactica many times. I do like Arty Conliffe rules, but now we use Sword & Spear, but both would suit Agincourt period!

If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
Michael, without chasing down the notes that I used, here is what I remember doing.  I added a commander for each battle of both armies and made up command cards and based movement on flipping the command cards over from the deck after shuffling each turn.  It added an interesting dynamic to the game.  I also added an extra dice for commanders if they were in combat with the units.  I think there was more to it, but I don't remember off the top of my head.  I'll try to find the notes from the last convention game where I ran them. 

I think they would work great for Agincourt. 

Allen

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 04:58:35 PM »
Okay thanks Allen.

Michael

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 03:50:33 PM »
Can't find the darn notes!  I do remember that I had an impetuous test for certain knight units (would apply well to Agincourt French!) before the normal movement card phase.  Leaders were killed on a roll of 12 on 2 D6 if they won a melee that they were attached to and killed on a 10 or more on 2 D6 if they lost the round of melee (again if attached).  The rules allow for a lot of add ons for specific scenarios and there are enough troop types in the book's army list to cover just about anything.