Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:13:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690797
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Muskets and Mohawks: First Game  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
Muskets and Mohawks: First Game
« on: July 06, 2017, 05:35:37 AM »
We played our first full game of Muskets and Mohawks (from Two Hour Wargames) a couple weeks go at The Source in the Twin Cities. I provided the following brief description of the rules mechanics on my blog:

Muskets and Mohawks represents small-unit skirmishes in the French and Indian War with 10-man units (artillery are 5-man), each with a Leader. Basic types of troops are Regulars, Militia, Irregulars, including Indians, Civilians, Gunners and Cavlary. Regulars can also be further identified as Grenadiers, Guards or Lights. Units are in 1 of 3 formations: Formed Line, Mob or Unformed (skirmish). "Higher" formations are possible: 2 units make a Platoon and get an extra Leader, 2 Platoons make a Company, etc. Irregulars form "War Parties." The names are general enough to be whatever scale you want.

The heart of the system is Rep and Reactions. Each unit and Leader is assigned a "Rep" between 2 (raw civilians) and 6 (warriors of great reknown). During the game units test against their Rep using 2d6 (with some modifiers that add or subtract d6) when certain events occur or when certain actions are desired. You pass a d6 by rolling equal to or lower than the Rep. These are called Reaction Tests:

Received Fire
Received Casualty
Leader Lost
Rally or Form Line
Charge Into Melee
Take Trophies
Fast Move
Controlled Volley*

When several Tests are required to be taken (for example if a unit Receives Fire that causes a Casualty, which turns out to be the Leader) you roll once and apply the result to all the tests, taking the worst result. Potential results of the tests are, generally, from best to worst: Carry On (pass 2d6), Retire (pass 1d6) and Run Away (pass 0d6). The presence of Leaders, units in support, type of Unit and Formation all provide nuance and are all listed on the Reaction Test charts, so is not a test of the players' memories, too!

One side activates their units or leaders, moving from right to left across the field, after which the other side does the same, so the activity swirls around the table in a "clock-wise fashion." As each unit activates, it can take ONE action, which include moving and changing formation, charging, firing and reloading. Each unit takes its action, and all units take any reaction tests caused by the action before moving on to the activation of the next unit.

All foot movement is 8"; terrain modifies formations used rather than rate. Fast Movement is possible when 24" or more from known enemy. Formations limit or enable movement dependent on terrain. Units can go Prone, too.

Musket range is 18"; rifle range is 24". There are two types of Fire: Fire At Will and Volley. Firing at Will uses the number of d6 of the unit's Rep, with some modifiers (like +2d6 for firing at Formed units) and one casualty is caused by each "1" rolled. Another roll determines if a Leader was a casualty. When units begin Firing they must continue to Fire At Will until one side Retires or Runs Away, after which they must spend an Activation Reloading before they can move again. Volleys can only be fired if a unit is in Formed Line and Reloaded. 1d6 is rolled for each figure in the unit (plus some modifiers) so a full unit starts with 10d6!

Melee is bloody, and requires a Charge Test, which both sides take and elegantly represents both the attacker's elan in the charge and the defender's will to stand.

There are rules for terrain, reinforcements, campaigns, scenarios, hidden movement and a novel AI to play solo against. This is a solid set of rules. . . but once again I prove that reading is not enough. . . you have to play them to really understand them!

So, to help us learn the rules, Aaron and I set up a simple meeting engagement game, with a section of open terrain to maneuver the Regulars, and some woods for the Irregulars.

To read the AAR of the game and our thoughts on the rules, and to see a lot more photos, I invite you to check out the blog post here: https://cluckamok.blogspot.com/2017/07/independence-day-and-muskets-and-mohawks.html

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
Re: Muskets and Mohawks: First Game
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 08:54:03 AM »
A fabulous looking game , both terrain and figures, one of my favourite periods .  I,m not familiar with these rules I,m afraid .

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
Great looking game, especially the forest. Beats the snot out of my mangy model railroad trees, with the lichen crumbling off them.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:08:43 AM »
Thanks for the compliments! I don't think Muskets and Mohawks is well enough known, partly the reason I posted the summary : )

Bests,
Chris

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:11:30 AM »
Excellent, and I think the new(ish) bases do the job well. Love those John Jenkins figure and the epic look you have got for this.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 01:05:44 AM »
Great looking scenario.
Thanks for the rules brief.

Offline Cluck Amok

• Bookworm
    • Cluck Amok
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 04:22:33 PM »
Thanks, Trooper, for helping to convince me to do the new(ish) bases!

BillK - pm sent.