Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:53:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Update: Solo Skirmish AAR #2: Storming the Outpost, Part 1-with betters pics!  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
This is a little game I played a few nights ago as the first part of a solo campaign I am starting up. The game is played with a ((very)) heavily modified version of Craig Cartmell's FUBAR game system, optimized for solo play. In gme terms, the Captain, the player's character, has to escape from the board though a heavily defended checkpoint within 20 turns.

http://saxondogwarband.blogspot.com/2017/07/solo-skirmish-aar-escape-from-raiders.html

A few teaser pis below. Please forgive the mediocre quailty of the photos. My mobile's camera doesn't care for the lighting in my game room!  :? :? :?

Please check out my blog for the full AAR. This is the first mission in a solo campaign I am starting, so there are more reports to come.  ;)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:23:57 PM by Hrothgar »

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: Solo Skirmish AAR: Escape from the Raiders
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:58:34 AM »
Excellent report!
How heavily did you modify the original rules? FUBAR only takes one page if I recall correctly.

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
Re: Solo Skirmish AAR: Escape from the Raiders
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:40:03 AM »
Thanks, Reed! Appreciate your interest. :-)

I modded FUBAR quite a bit (and I definitely broke the one page rule!), so my version clocks in at two pages for the core rules and another page or two for force lists. Most rules have been tweaked, but the big changes involve activation, suppression, and morale, all in keeping with my goal of making it solo-friendly.

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
So I started another game....

In the previous installment, a lone Commonwealth officer stumbles upon trouble in the backwaters of a sleepy colonial planet. He encounters a surprising concentration of pirates occupying a valley that is home to a small colonist village and old military outpost for reasons unknown. He discovers that they are searching (at least in part) for a science team that was active in the area recently. In attempting to escape and call for assistance, brave Captain Kiran raised a handful of sympathetic local militia and drove the pirates away from the village - at least for the moment. He then made his way north to call for help in the mountains.

For those of you who are interested in the mechanics, I am playing this game solo as the colonial side using a heavily modified version of Craig Cartmell's FUBAR skirmish rules. They have been heavily tweaked to automate the opposing force.

This is part one of what will likely be a two-parter. Follow the link to my blog for the full AAR...

http://saxondogwarband.blogspot.com/2017/07/solo-skirmish-aar-2-storming-outpost_56.html

Teaser pics below!