Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:48:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691482
  • Total Topics: 118393
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Ashanti War in 15mm Still Unresolved  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
The Ashanti War in 15mm Still Unresolved
« on: July 07, 2017, 02:11:40 AM »
Another long time project, the Third Ashanti War, in 15mm, is on my shelves.  So far, I have a ton of trees and jungle terrain, some neat Ashanti buildings, a Coastal fort and what not that have waited for years.

Figures.    No dedicated Ashanti's, and frankly, no adequate proxies.  No Ashanti War British (in the unique uniforms they used, being a lot more casual).   I guess the Fanti allies are now available (various native porters and generic auxiliaries).

I talked to Ian, at Irregular, and he says he will do his best to make up a 100 figure Ashanti Army (They are resourceful and imaginative at Irregular)and I'm game,  but I want real, accurate Ashantis....

Anyone attempt this genre?   Anyone find answers?
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Ashanti War in 15mm Still Unresolved
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:24:07 AM »
Well, Irregular does have Ashanti figures - or purported to be so.  I'm not that familiar with the conflict to be able to say.  Just know they are Big figures compared to many other 15 mm figures.  Fit fine with the likes of Old Glory's 18 mm ranges and probably okay with Essex but they'd dwarf Peter Pig (not that any of those have any Ashanti - though do check the natives in OG25s Darkest Africa range for possibilities.)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 03:08:57 AM »
Well, Irregular does have Ashanti figures - or purported to be so.  I'm not that familiar with the conflict to be able to say.  Just know they are Big figures compared to many other 15 mm figures.  Fit fine with the likes of Old Glory's 18 mm ranges and probably okay with Essex but they'd dwarf Peter Pig (not that any of those have any Ashanti - though do check the natives in OG25s Darkest Africa range for possibilities.)

They have ONE figure, with sword and cape.  :)   But four different head variations  :)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 10:44:59 PM »
I sent a strongl recommendation email to a major 15s manufacturer, laying out the packs we need (really only a few:  British infantry in homespun, Fanti allies in very basic attire, a pack of Asahanti musketmen, and a Ashanti command pack.   

Bip, Bop, Boop!   4 packs, and you OWN the monopoly on the 15mm Ashanti War genre!

(lets see if I have any pull )  :)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 12:21:04 AM »
Perhaps the reason for the figure issue is interest?  :)   :)  :)

Maybe I am the only one dreaming of Ashanti games in 15mm.  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:27:56 AM »
Interest is a funny old thing. Nobody was interested in pre-colonial East Africa until Chris Peers and Mark Copplestone created a craze out of nothing. A "craze" that is still going strong years later.

If someone made a killer figure range and the idea was promoted with glossy photos, and magazine or web articles and interesting scenarios you might suddenly find a lot of people interested who never realised they gave a damn before. I think the figures are key, though. Really good figures inspire people to collect them. Then they start looking for stuff to do with them.

Of course, if you are a figure manufacturer, you take an awful big risk assuming it will all work out this way. So mostly they stick to stuff they know will sell.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 01:00:46 AM »
Unless the company is so successful, and has such a reputation for quality, that anything it makes will walk off the shelves/out of the warehouse, and the owners have the freedom to produce comprehensive figure ranges for obscure, non-mainstream subjects that primarily indulge their personal whims ... which is why I'm pinning my hopes on Perry Miniatures 40mm range for that long, long overdue colonial Australia skirmish range.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 05:39:27 AM »
Good points.   And in 15mm, its kinda different.  Not so much excitement over beautiful figures, I think. 

But, as I earlier mentioned, in 15mm, we are talking about a pack of Ashantis, a pack of British infantry, and as icing, Fanti allies.  Not so much a large scale undertaking, and all packs would be very useful for many  Colonial gaming genres. 

Whats the math?    5-10 Ashanti sculpts, as little as two British infantry sculpts, include Fantis or not.   2 grand for sculpts?   Hey......maybe.....I.....   :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »
Good points.   And in 15mm, its kinda different.  Not so much excitement over beautiful figures, I think. 

Unfortunately, I think you are right about that. Maybe it's because 15mm is more about massed ranks of figures (at least that's where I think the scale shines), the individual figure is not quite so important. To be honest I don't recall the last time I saw a 15mm individual figure and was blown away by it. But a whole painted army, that's a different matter.

I almost feel that the Ashanti War is possibly more suited to a skirmish-type game, which is more in 28mm's bailiwick.

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 12:48:43 PM »
I would like to do the Ashanti war, preferably in 15mm.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
Surely if you're in Nottingham then you must be a figure manufacturer? Can't you make your own, and make some for Smokey while you're about it?

(I jest.)

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 01:29:12 PM »
I do games and articles, sadly  ;)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 12:34:38 AM »
Unfortunately, I think you are right about that. Maybe it's because 15mm is more about massed ranks of figures (at least that's where I think the scale shines), the individual figure is not quite so important. To be honest I don't recall the last time I saw a 15mm individual figure and was blown away by it. But a whole painted army, that's a different matter.

I almost feel that the Ashanti War is possibly more suited to a skirmish-type game, which is more in 28mm's bailiwick.

When us `15mm fans are "Blown Away", its because of a new line, NOT the individual sculpts!   Russ emailed me, said BM would have a Boxer line.  I jumped for joy, and said "Take my money!" unseen.  :)

Yes, The Third Ashanti war is perfect for 28mm skirmish, but just as perfect for 15mm TSATF skirmish!  If you read TSATF rules, you would already know! :)  :)   :)

Standard gaming play:  Objective is to converge on Kumasi.  Very dense jungle, a narrow, recently made "road", with Ashanti's infesting the jungle using shoot and scoot tactics, with Brit units separated and subject to all sorts of harm.  Typical Darkest Africa, yes?  MADE for TSATF!  :)

Anyhoo, a couple poses of british infantry in casual dress, and Ashanti's with muskets, and everything else needed is most likely already on every gamer's shelf.

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 06:10:32 AM »