Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:55:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. Starting on a victrix saxon project 26/4  (Read 60439 times)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. An irish interlude 26/1
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2024, 06:25:39 PM »
Wow! Fantastic painting
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. An irish interlude 26/1
« Reply #226 on: February 04, 2024, 02:29:21 PM »
Thanks guys!

Today, just a small update on the 14th century force. If you are not part of the SAGA community, the Age of Chivalry expansion is still quite a ways out. There is no release date yet, but one of the authors estimated in an interview this summer at the very earliest. So, I have plenty of time to work on that force and it will not be that big a priority this early in the year. I just need to paint enough figures to test Blood & Crowns at some point, but I think I am pretty close there.

Now if you have followed my projects for a bit, you know that I am a big fan of Claymore Castings and their range. Going all the way back to my Game of Thrones project I've bought almost all of their new releases as they have come out. Today I just have a little hobby update, assembling some things, new and old.

First all four of their new knights, which come with foot and horse versions. Absolutely love these. Claymore has intended them as speciic personalities from the 100 year war, but I'm going to be going with other heraldry for these. I used a plastic Perry lance rather than wire, as all my other figures use plastic spears and lances.

And secondly, some bits and pieces. I dug up their Black Prince figure, and since my force is partially themed around Spain and I happen to have a bunch of suitable archers, I could in fact play his force in the Castillian civil war. May as well paint him in other words. No use for King Edward however, so he got a headswap with one of the very fancy great helms from their modular Knight kit. Potentially a cool warlord, maybe a flamboyant free company leader. Had to do some greenstuff to fix his aventail. I had a spare knight with no horse, but a V&V resin horse, so quick fix there. The horse archers holding horses got assembled on bases that could be objective markers. Finally, one of their two packs of skirmishers. Not sure these will have a use in SAGA, but if they do I can happily buy the second set they offer.

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
Re: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. Assmebling some Claymore figures 4/2
« Reply #227 on: February 05, 2024, 11:33:59 PM »
They look fantastic! Lovely dynamic poses, can’t wait to see them painted ;)

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2024, 10:13:04 PM »
I love what you've done with your Britons. Excellent GS work as well.

I wasn't really too excited about Age of Chivalry until I saw your Claymore Castings minis.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #229 on: February 09, 2024, 10:36:27 AM »
The figures look great! Thanks for showing them!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #230 on: February 09, 2024, 06:26:00 PM »
beautiful paint-jobs.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2024, 08:08:05 PM »
Lovely.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2024, 04:54:02 PM »
Got another 12 archers painted, 8 claymore english and 4 footsore welsh. I had just thought to use these as archer levy for the factions that can take them, but I easily have the figures needed to play the English faction, in which case they are warriors rather than levy.

What do you think?

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
Re: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. Longbows 24/2
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2024, 06:29:00 PM »
I think they look great as always! Love the grubby vibe :D

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #234 on: February 25, 2024, 03:13:03 AM »
Completely agree, they look excellent. The colour palette you used really suits the figures.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2024, 05:17:57 PM »
With Age of Chivalry still pretty far off on the horizon, I've been distracted by other projects. You'll find my small greek project in the ancients forum, which I managed to finish just in time before receiving an order including Victrix's new saxon figures.

Already last year when I started working on their late romans I fielded the idea of a multi-purpose germanic army that could play using Saxon, Frank and even Visigoth battleboards from SAGA Age of Invasions. That project took a wrong turn and ended up being a small band of romano-british instead, but with the release of the saxons I decided to revisit the idea. Inspired as always by koyote's lovely work and thorough prep I did some reading on the parts of the norse sagas that are considered completely mythological. I figured if the minis can be jutes, they can also be geats and swedes. I happen to live in västergötland, the land of the western geats, so that of course appeals. I then stumbled on the character Hervor, daughter of Heidrek, a shieldmaiden who commands a fort in the Myrkvidr. Mirkvidr simply means dark forest and there is no clear relation to any particular area today. So that is the theme settled, a mixed germanic force of geats, jutes and even some goths, with a forest basing theme.

I had previously bought a Gripping Beast Ragnar Lothbrok, and made him a commander base as a potential leader for this army (at least until a find a nice shieldmaid commander)

And last night got the kits pictured above. I first built a Warrior from the saxon kit, and put down some bits for his base:

And then tried a kitbash of Victrix bits and the WGA goths to make a levy with javelin:

What do you think?

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ogrob's medievals for SAGA. Starting on a victrix saxon project 26/4
« Reply #236 on: April 26, 2024, 07:08:00 PM »
It seems like a great project, I am looking forward to seeing updates as it progresses!

Offline Dean

• Scientist
  • I'd rather be gaming!
« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2024, 08:37:49 PM »
Oh yeah, this is gonna be good!  :-*

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #238 on: April 26, 2024, 10:49:46 PM »
After a little bit of a longer building session tonight, I've got two points assembled.

First, a point of sword and board warriors. Pretty much straight from the Saxon kit, plus two Goth heads:

And then a point of javelin levy. Wargames Atlantic bodies, Victrix heads. Arms are a mix of both.

Offline NTM

• Scientist
Good to see how well the WGA Goths mix in with Victrix. I'll be adding some to my collection.