Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:23:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689604
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 588
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Second Baltic Crusade The Battle of Lyndanisse 800 year anniversary  (Read 33584 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Second Baltic Crusade/early medieval
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2019, 03:00:07 PM »
They are all a mix of saxons, Vikings and crusaders from various manufacturers. Foundry, footsore, Gripping Beast, and Black Tree Design.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »
Ah, wonderful! Thank you, I'll give all of them a look see!  ;)
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2019, 10:34:27 AM »
It has been a slow painting weekend. So I have only managed to produce this one command base. It has dawned on me that the army has grown enough in size that I can actually use it to play Hail Ceasar. So here is the army general with his retainers.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
Lots of lovely progress   8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2019, 08:00:07 PM »
I managed to do another base of knights.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2019, 10:01:15 PM »
Splendid miniatures. :-* :-*

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2019, 10:16:53 AM »
My army took to the field yesterday. In a close fought battle against Eriks army.

For most of the battle it looked like Eriks army would carry the day as his cavalry broke my right flank, but not without suffering heavy casualties themselves. And my own cavalry refused to move in the center.

But in the end they got themselves sorted and charged and broke the centerbrigade that left the free to about face and destroy the already heavily reduced enemy cavalry brigade.

Giving me a narrow victory snatched from the almost closed jaws of defeat.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2019, 01:29:37 PM »
The aniversary of the Battle of Lyndanisse is comming up and I thought we needed a bit better camp for the crusaders. So I did up these. They are from Mantics terraincrate.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2019, 06:48:02 PM »
Excellent pictures. Really enjoyed reading through this thread.

Are you still using Lion Rampant?

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2019, 06:54:23 PM »
Yes. But with a few tweaks of our own.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2019, 07:57:48 PM »
Yes. But with a few tweaks of our own.

Thanks. How big are the large tents in that camp set?

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2019, 08:07:40 PM »
The footprint is just about 3x3”

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2019, 08:17:31 PM »
The footprint is just about 3x3”

Great thanks  :)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Second Baltic Crusade The Battle of Lyndanisse 800 year anniversary
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2019, 09:01:16 PM »
Today was the 800 year anniversary of the Battle of Lyndanisse where The Danish king Valdemar II fought a big battle against the Pagan Estonians. And the myth is that Dannebrog the Danish flag fell from heaven as a sign that God granted had granted victory to the Danish crusaders.

We have been building up to this day for ages. And you might have read several reports of this battle already. But today is the real deal. We really feel that we have hit a very good balance in our scenario I don't think that the same army has won the game two times in a row.

First we start with an overview of the battlefield. King Valdemar II is in the crusaders camp by the beach but he has two units of levies in the castle while Prince Vitslav of Rugen is further inland at the back of the hill. The Pagan chieftans attack from two sides. The pagans get two points for every building they burn down points for looting and burning the crusader camp and the castle tower. And the crusaders gain one point for every unburnt building at the end of the game.

The game lasts four turns and I have made this turn marker to count the. When the flag hits the ground the game ends.

The game starts with Prince Vitslav making the opening moves. his army however ends up very spread out and scattered.

The pagans andvance as one block on the castle.

As they cross the river Valdemars Foot Yeomen move up to defend the walls.

Valdemar is forced to divide his forces to defend agains a small flanking force of pagan cavalry.

A massive block of pagan infanrty advances on the castle and due to some bad dice rolls Prince Vitslav is not able to slow them down.

The fight for the wall has started and the Yeomen are giving as good as they get and successfully defend the wall.

Prince Vitslavs forces have managed to close on the Pagans attacking the castle gate and even gotten a unit into the castle to reinforce the Yeomen fighting of the attackers on the other side of the castle.

Valdemars army is also starting to engage the Pagans attacking the walls from the flank.

Despite a valliant defence from the Yeomen the mass of pagan warriors starts to show and they flow over the walls.

The pagan flanking cavalry is fought to a standstill by the defenders. Their plan to loot and burn the Crusader camp seems to have failed.

Just as it looks like the crusaders were gaining the upper hand. Some sneaky pagan warriors manages to sneak up a set fire to one of the village buildings.

Prince Vitslav fails an activation roll and fails to stop another building from going up in flames.

The fight at the gate is intensifying and Vitslavs knights charge in to relieve the pressure on the gate. While the prave yeomen are still holding the courtyard.

The weight of numbers is really starting to show and even though the pagan warriors are fighting and dying for every inch gained. They still manage to set fire to a building inside the courtyard.

By this point the Pagans were ahead on scenario points and the only chance the Crusaders had of winning the game was to achieve some of their boasts. But sadly the failed. So the crusaders fell back on just killing as many pagans as possible. And more or less cleared the field outside af the castle. Here is an overview of the battlefield at the end of the game. Unfortunately it ended with a victory for the Pagans unlike 800 years ago where the Danes carried the field.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:04:27 PM by Dr. Zombie »

Offline Erik

• Scientist
Re: Second Baltic Crusade The Battle of Lyndanisse 800 year anniversary
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2019, 09:44:38 PM »
Nice AAR and thank you for a good game and good spirit even though you got whooped  ;D

You forgot to mention though that while we were playing the red and white F16 Fighting Falcon flew over our house on a route all over the country to mark the anniversary.

Great stuff!!!

Cheers
Erik