Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:12:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Primaris Blood Wolves  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Dublindawg

• Assistant
Primaris Blood Wolves
« on: July 12, 2017, 02:42:01 PM »
After nearly seven years of boycotting GW due to the yearly 10-15% price increases,  I finally have re-entered the fold of 40k.  In that absence both 6th and 7th ed have come to pass and 8th Edition is upon us.  The rules look more streamlined but I still fear the YGIG and a game potential being determined by who gets to go first. I have seen firsthand An IG army put out over 100 shots with just infantry and crumble an eldar army early on as there is only so much cover to hide behind.  That withstanding I love the look of the Primaris Marines and decided to make a 14th company for the Space Wolves called the Blood Wolves.  Among the other company leaders refer to them as young bloods.  Below is what I have started on so far.  I am using some old SW bits to wolf them up.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Primaris Blood Wolves
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »
They look good.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 07:56:03 PM »
Looks cool. Looking forward to work on my own.

I too am a bit iffy on the IGYG and am considering to integrate Bolt actions dice-bag alternating activations.
Not sure if this will work, it might slow the game down quite a bit, but it might just keep me more engaged as I don't have to wait half a hour during the opponents turn.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:16:58 AM »
nice
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Dublindawg

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 01:08:28 PM »
Looks cool. Looking forward to work on my own.

I too am a bit iffy on the IGYG and am considering to integrate Bolt actions dice-bag alternating activations.
Not sure if this will work, it might slow the game down quite a bit, but it might just keep me more engaged as I don't have to wait half a hour during the opponents turn.

I have considered intergrating the BA action dice as well.  I have a small group of friends that I may be able to test that option out with.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 03:56:24 PM »
The way we run 2nd ed. (and it works great) is as follows:

At the beginning of the turn, each player places a token in a mug - one token for each unit (a character is a unit in 2nd ed., as is a squad or a vehicle).  The army with the higher strategy rating then adds tokens equal to the difference of the strategy ratings.  For instance if I play Eldar (4) vs. Nids (1) I add three more tokens.

The tokens are shuffled about and drawn one at a time.  Tokens are drawn until a different colour is drawn.  As such it's possible to get small 3-4 unit actiavtions in a row - but exceedingly rare that you'd end up with 5-6-7.  All units can only activate once.  A character who is in coherency with a squad may activate with the squad or may activate solo, but may not do both during a turn.  We use the actual token to mark units which have activated.  A unit activates entirely on its own before the next unit is activated.  It's activation must be completed prior to carrying on.

Now, in connection with this we've altered close combat and removed the psychic phase for a version of our own - so it's a pretty large change.  It has produced the best 40K games I've played though.  Very flowing and fun.  You feel a lot of pressure to get something done when you luck out and get four activations in a row.  It also produces the stress/fun of waiting to see who draws first at the start of each turn - when you have two units about 10" apart...you're desperate to shoot first! :D

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dublindawg

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »
The way we run 2nd ed. (and it works great) is as follows:

At the beginning of the turn, each player places a token in a mug - one token for each unit (a character is a unit in 2nd ed., as is a squad or a vehicle).  The army with the higher strategy rating then adds tokens equal to the difference of the strategy ratings.  For instance if I play Eldar (4) vs. Nids (1) I add three more tokens.

The tokens are shuffled about and drawn one at a time.  Tokens are drawn until a different colour is drawn.  As such it's possible to get small 3-4 unit actiavtions in a row - but exceedingly rare that you'd end up with 5-6-7.  All units can only activate once.  A character who is in coherency with a squad may activate with the squad or may activate solo, but may not do both during a turn.  We use the actual token to mark units which have activated.  A unit activates entirely on its own before the next unit is activated.  It's activation must be completed prior to carrying on.

Now, in connection with this we've altered close combat and removed the psychic phase for a version of our own - so it's a pretty large change.  It has produced the best 40K games I've played though.  Very flowing and fun.  You feel a lot of pressure to get something done when you luck out and get four activations in a row.  It also produces the stress/fun of waiting to see who draws first at the start of each turn - when you have two units about 10" apart...you're desperate to shoot first! :D

This sounds like a very interesting way to handle the activation order.  I will bring it up with my buddies when I see them this weekend, thanks!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »
We're planning on trying it with 8th ed. at some point, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  Will let you know - it does require some changes regardless.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 07:03:08 PM »
It's an interesting variation on the Bolt action method. By being able to draw multiple tokens of the same side you should speed things up a bit.
I'll be keeping it in mind and am curious what your experiences are.

My 8th edition stuff is in the mail and I am currently moving house, so I won't be able to try it for myself for a while.

Offline Dublindawg

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 02:10:30 AM »
Assembly is going at a turtles pace these days.  I am attempting to have the chest agulia fully painted before I attach the arms and weapons.  This is what I have been able to assemble so far following my requirement.  Hopefully I will be able to get the ancient and hellblasters to this point over the weekend.  I would like to have a purely Primaris force for the Fate of Konor campaign.

Offline Dublindawg

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 03:22:21 PM »
Trying to get a 1000pt force ready for the start of the Fate of Konor later this week.  I was able to assemble and do the base painting on the 3rd squad of Intercessors and also got the Hellblasters assembled with a basic paint job.  Plan to at some point to go back and do highlights, detail work and unit markings.  I was also able to cobble a 6-man squad of Reivers so at this point I have 1124pts when I include the Vindicator to the force.

Offline Dublindawg

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 01:47:57 PM »
The first unit of what I am now calling the chapter, Blood Claws, is nearly complete.  Just need to add transfers

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »
Nicely done (love that guy's face). Can I recommend some flock or similar on the base? The grey of the armour blends into the grey of the base.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Dublindawg

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »
Nicely done (love that guy's face). Can I recommend some flock or similar on the base? The grey of the armour blends into the grey of the base.

Thanks, I am debating what to use for flock.  My current supply is for a lush green place and I don't think it would fit the feel of the grim dark world of 40K.  Hopefully I will have a chance to stop by one of the LGS this weekend and get something that has a burnt look to it.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 06:57:36 AM »
very nice indeed