Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley: [Insert Title Here], a random scenario  (Read 1187 times)

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
Pulp Alley: [Insert Title Here], a random scenario
« on: July 03, 2017, 05:24:36 PM »
Inspired by Whomever1's recent PA Forum post on the subject, I decided to try rolling up a completely random scenario, using the tables in the Pulp Alley rulebook. This is something we hadn't done in years, and never really did then, since there were results on the scenario table that we always avoided, like Death Trap, nobody wishing their leader to start the game alone and surrounded by enemies. This time, however, I would simply let the dice take me where they would. To begin, I picked up a d6 and rolled on the scenario table:
4. Death Trap. Well, this was easy enough to see coming. Thinking about it, though, I saw it was a good fit for my solo Vice Alley campaign. In it, the Bay City Cyclones had caned their rivals, the America Forever Party, severely in their last two meetings, and Bo's league would be seething for some payback. The AFP would be the attackers, and the Player League, while the defending BCC would be the Bots. As a bonus, I would have the Vice Alley setting and all the back history of the campaign to use in divining the meanings of randomly generated plot points.
The scenario provided the Major Plot Point (Jack Murphy, the leader of the Cyclones), so I only needed to roll up four Minor Plot Points:
1.(encounter) Missing Informant: A natural. A meetup with this guy would explain how Jack was caught alone in the first place.
2.(contraband) Camouflaged Explosives: Hmm...could that Foreign Agent in the last scenario have let something slip about saboteurs?
3.(encounter) Suspicious Guard: Another natural. He doesn't need a reason to be there, or to need dealing with...he's a guard, and he's suspicious. One More!
4.(treasure) Cursed Disk: Huh. You know, there are so many scenarios where this would fit right in...just not this one. However, quite a few months back in this campaign, a shipment of valuable artifacts was hijacked on its way to the Bay City Museum of History, and individual items from that shipment have been turning up from time to time. This must be another one, and the strange pictographs engraved on it could well be a map...to some future scenario where a cursed disk makes perfect sense.
Ready to rumble!

AAR Here: http://imgur.com/a/HWg23
Thanks for your interest!
rags

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
Re: Pulp Alley: [Insert Title Here], a random scenario
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 08:12:11 PM »
  It's hard to work up much sympathy for the AFP, but poor Bo! Losing a third time to a bunch of degenerate carny scum! But perhaps it will inspire him on his next broadcast.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:46:58 PM »
Fantastic! Exciting Pulp Alley battle report.    :D

I gots to get me some of those fancy dancing insoles!  lol lol

AND you're just in time to grab up one of the new Pahntom Agent cards!! --- http://store.pulpalley.com/product-p/2017.htm

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 11:30:34 PM »
Great report and a fun looking game.  I have the rules but am having difficulty understanding them, your pics and narrative helped a bit.  Thanks
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 02:50:55 PM »
Great report and a fun looking game.  I have the rules but am having difficulty understanding them, your pics and narrative helped a bit.  Thanks

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.  I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you have about the rules.  Anything I can't answer we can punt to Dave.
 ;)
rags

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:31:54 PM »
 Regarding the rules, though--we've played a number of games and had a lot of fun before realizing we weren't doing it quite right. The PA rules set is pretty forgiving.

Offline Matt

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 02:28:04 PM »
Rags, I have really enjoyed your Pulp Alley AARs, and now I am moving over to Imgur, where you post.  I'm curious about how you set your story boards up.

Looking at your layouts, I see you have a variety of templates with multiple pictures.  What are you using to put your story pictures together with the text?  Looking at doing some sort of hybrid presentation with my current comic book format and possibly something like your AARs.

Matt

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 03:33:15 AM »
Looking at your layouts, I see you have a variety of templates with multiple pictures.  What are you using to put your story pictures together with the text? 

Hi Matt, I enjoy reading your reports, too. :)
I use Photoshop, working from a black background canvas and just copy/pasting the photos together into some kind of narrative, sizing them as needed to make them fit and adding the text into the margin areas. 
I keep intending to try the comic book style sometime, though.

Offline Bessy

• Scientist
  • Namaste Mofo
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 01:59:37 AM »
Really enjoyable stuff, great job!

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »
Awesome!  :-* :-*

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl