Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690647
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bleeding Kansas ( LotOW Campaign Report)  (Read 7320 times)

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
Bleeding Kansas ( LotOW Campaign Report)
« on: February 15, 2007, 10:12:51 AM »
During the last weekend of january, the french club of the Immortels of Paris Ouest organized its 10th convention.

A LotOW Campaign played took place in Kansas before the Civil War. Because of the period some weapons weren't available (no 6-gun, no repeating rifle and the rifles are flintlock rifles). The 6 guns were replaced (if necessary) with Heavy Pistols

. The posses were $250.00 USD ones and each posse leader had a bounty on him (if he was put out-of-action during a game, the killer posse gained the leader XP * 2 in US$). If a posse leader is captured, he can be free paying the same amount.

The 8 players are in 2 teams, pro-esclavagism and pro-abolitionism. The first 3 games played had an influence on the governor elections ( protecting officials, destroying newspapers, etc.)

At the end of the first day, the pro-esclavagism team won the elections.

The second day began in a big town in which the pro-abolitionism party regrouped and create a free governement. The U.S. Army and the pro-pro-esclavagism milicias (players posses) attacked the town.

In the last game (several years later), the pro-esclavagism governor wanted to lead Kansas in the Confederate States. The pro-abolitionism posses tried to kill him but failed.

The pro-esclavagism players won and Kansas joined the Confederation.

Bleeding Kansas

more links to additional pictures at the bottom of the article.

Olivier

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 11:03:35 AM »
Great, Lovely layout and scenery :o  :love:  :love:

Fritzy

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 08:52:44 AM »
Great looking game. Sounds like a lot of fun. Something a bit different to the usual old west shootouts. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »
The Town, figures and scenery is just great !
Björn
, ,

Offline walktapus

• Librarian
    • Ze Psilete
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 07:21:54 PM »
Our next LotOW campaign will be held on the 2nd and 3rd of June in Paris (Kremlin-Bicêtre). It's the 5th campaign of this kind we organize. The theme will be the Mexican border. Yes, a bit loose, but great for adobe buildings, sombreros and Apaches. :mrgreen:

Here is the poster :

If you would like to enter, drop me a line.

I will post photos afterwards.
Denis

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 11:54:47 PM »
Anybody want to buy a bandito gang?:
http://www.displacedminiatures.com/LeadAsbestos/images.html?galleryId=1585&from=Banditos!

The whole lot, minus Tuco (already sold) and the Lonesome Bandito (Not for Sale!) are up for grabs, and they could certainly make it to France, or other far-off shores, in time for the game!

Offers entertained, and yes, they must go.

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:02:58 PM »
still up for offer? the bandits that is. im in the uk though. would it be along waiting time and big price etc?
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Offline walktapus

• Librarian
    • Ze Psilete
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:09:39 PM »
If you dig up this subject, I may well post a link to the report of the Muchachos campaign :

http://lotow.free.fr/article.php3?id_article=90

Next campaign in Sartrouville (Paris) on January 20th. It will all be about trying to get married to this young lady.

who is the limited edition mini offered to the participants.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 01:58:32 PM »
Very cool!

On a sort of tangent...I'm getting back into mini war gaming after a several year lay-off.  The game I choose to do this with was LotOW.  While I'm very excited about it, I'm definately starting to think that I live in the wrong country (USA)!  Seems if your not playing Warhammer Fantasy, 40K, or one of the prepainted clik or D&D mini games there isn't much interest in anything else without searching and searching.

I have plenty of people willing to play the game if I supply everything and host the game...but what I really want are other hobbiests who are as enthused as me, and as willing to create  stuff, make terrain, assemble and paint thier own armies, ect.  I mean, actually playing the game is a relitively small part of the hobby.

I may be off base, but it certainly seems like mini wargaming is a lot more popular in just about every country other than mine. :(
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 02:15:01 PM »
A lot of Americans seem to have that perception. Honestly I can't say it is any different over here.

To run games I have to provide everything too. Rules, table, figures (both sides), terrain. Everything. When one of my friends runs a game it is the same (except they sometimes borrow my terrain). The only exception was Gangs of Mega City One where I painted my own gang for a campaign someone else was running because I really got into it.

We all like different things. If I had to paint all the Sci-Fi crap for my side in my friends games I'd go mad. I have no interest in doing that. But I'll happily play his game. Likewise, I don't expect my mates to paint Great War figures for my games. It just isn't what they're into.

But we muddle along, somehow.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 03:41:11 PM »
My life mirrors Poly's in all wargaming respects  :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 03:48:24 PM »
Same for me and lately (last two or three years) I have ended up doing both sides for traditional games

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »
I guess I got spoiled with Warhammer Fantasy.  

When I started I gradually fell in with 3 other guys (one at a time) who were also just starting the hobby (two of them never even played another RPG or wargame, one was turned onto the game because he liked to collect things (Star Wars toys) and one was his brother, the last one was a guy new to the area and Warhammer was his first mini game.).

We all learned the rules as we went together, built out army (and then armies) from small little 500 pointers up to massive 5,000 pointers.

We all really got into painting, and it was sort of unspoken that we would come to each session with some new models (preferably an entire unit) painted each weekly session.  We saw each others skills and talents grow during this (almost 10 year) period.  Two of the guys later went on to win and place highly in GTs (Sean Lukie and Brad Deitrick…if the names ring a bell with anyone here).

Everyone also got into terrain building, and we all had full 4x8 tables in our basements and a full complement of terrain.

Everyone was just so into it and we all bounced off each others motivation and creativity.

The group eventually fell apart.  Some of the guys got a bit too much into the competition aspect of the game (tournaments) and it sort of killed the fun aspect of the group.  Then a couple guys moved away, causing us to gradually expand our group to include new players (several of which didn’t take the hobby as seriously as up…entirely unpainted armies are totally unacceptable!).  Finally I got divorced, lost my house and had to get rid of the table and most of my stuff, causing me to return to the more space effective role playing games for many years.

In any case, I was certainly hoping that all good gaming groups were like that original one…but I’m starting to think that I just got extremely lucky.  There is a historical gaming group in my city, but they seem to all like doing their own thing, not such a concentrated group effort as my old group.  I was really hoping to find a couple of players like my original group and relive that experience, but with different games.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 07:27:31 PM »
This is similar to my current experience getting a LotOW group together.

Nearly 10 years ago I started up a Blood bowl league starting with only myself and one other 'hobbyest' (sp?). We culled some players we found agreeable from role-playing groups, co-workers, etc. In the end we had 12 players that bought and painted (or paid someone else) their own teams. Our league ran strong for nearly 4 years. We went the whole nine yards: creating pitches, modelling support staff, fans, etc. Several of our players went to the real BB tourney in London. We also swept BB tourneys here in Texas. It was a unique time. I've never before, or since played with a group that had that level of enthusiasm.

Unfortunately, job relocations and enlistments ripped our group apart.

I know that magic will never be back. However, I really like to see the minis that other folks put together, and made that clear when I started up LotOW. Folks know I'm good for organizing games.  A lot of gamers I've met like to play games, but not organize them. I contacted 3 gamers that I thought would be interested in Old West gaming, even though they've never been involved in the hobby aspect of it. I told them, I'd be putting a table together over the break. If they like what they see, they'll order rulebooks and posses. It's the whole 'build it and they will come' thing. I don't know any LotOW gamers, but I'm confident my friends will get a kick out of what they see.

I wish you luck in getting your group together. I have ruled out the game shops. I've gone up there a few times to meet folks, and I've found them...a bit odd.  Judgemental on my part, I know, but that's the way it is.
I've found it easier to turn friends into gamers, than gamers into friends.

Consider paint sessions. I've done a few of these. Have a few beers on hand and order some pies. Provide all the paints, but they bring the minis. You can help them out, discuss rules, have some laughs etc. I've found it to help build enthusiasm.

I feel like I'm rambling now.

Again, good luck!