Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:29:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Three Musketeers - Larger than Life! - Update 09/06 - Monsieur de Tréville  (Read 25748 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Three Musketeers - Larger than Life! - 26/7 - Witchfinder General
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
...in the meantime, how about devising an exciting scenario to bring the figures you've already collected into play? (fans avid for eye candy)
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »
Working on some more scenery first. The backdrops I've been using are fine for static pictures, but not large enough for gaming. :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
This is splendid  :-*

You're going to need a damned big table!  8)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
Well I hope it will be ok as I intend to run these as 1 on 1 skirmish with the "And all for one rules", so shouldn't need a table that's much bigger than a standard wargaming table.

I did look at the size that houses are going to need to be (at least 30cm high) and will likely get some 1/24 shells from Petite Properties and some of their other props.

My first setting will be the King's garden though, so mainly grass and walking paths, hedges and trees, fountains, statues, benches, topiaries, the bird bath,...

Although I am tempted to construct a façade for the palace on one end of the table. For that though, I would need to have some custom ornate windows and doors produced. Maybe some 3D designed panels, with windows and wall detailing built in, then moulded in resin and used as building blocks glued against a solid backing. OK, the madness has started... lol

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Three Musketeers - Larger than Life! - Update 30/7 - Flowergirl
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »
Next update is another Lemax conversion for the Musketeers project, and one I'm particularly stoked with as I think it worked really well.

The starting model is Lemax' violet girl, which for once was really well cast and sculpted with really good, fine details. As usual, the paint was splashed on in the general direction of the figure (official pic below is flattering).

From the start, I thought this model had a lot of potential for converting to the 17th century (it's practically perfect) and I looked at some pictures of 17th century clothing before deciding on the colourscheme. In fact, she's so perfect that I no longer feel the tomato vendor is good enough to use in this setting, so I may relocate that one to some other project.

I wasn't originally going to keep the flowers purple, but since I painted those almost last, I more or less painted myself into a corner by already using all the other likely colours on her clothing. No complaints though, I think it worked out well. I also went for brighter colours on this one rather than the drab colours of the others and I think it worked out for the best, so I'll keep going in this direction.

I think the paintjob's match to the King & Country figures is as good as it's going to get with my skills. She doesn't stand out next to them as someone who doesn't belong. Size is perfect too, only minor niggle is the thickness of her base, but I did my best to at least round off the edges to make it less noticeable.

"Some pretty flowers for your lady, Milord?"

"According to my book, those plants are the mark of a witch!" - "Look, I don't want any trouble..."

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »
The "Flower Girl" has painted up really well.   :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
What a transformation! She's a real beauty!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2017, 08:45:17 PM »
Fantastic work!
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »
To my mind the Gustavus Adolphus figure would make the better de Treville.  First, as the Capt. of the King's Musketeers, de Treville was of equal rank to a general in the French forces - the Gustavus figure's cane lends that authority.  Second, de Treville was a contemporary of D'Artagnan's father (the cane may very well be needed !).  And third, the blue color of Gustavus' clothing ties him in thematically with the Musketeers better than does the clothing of the Laughing Cavalier (granted, neither is a "uniform," but there is a reason that Rochefort is usually pictured in red, again to fit in thematically with the Cardinal and his Guard).

As for the English and the Witchfinder General - have you considered using them as Hugenots ? 

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2017, 08:50:46 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments, gents. I'm quite pleased with her.  :)

To my mind the Gustavus Adolphus figure would make the better de Treville.  First, as the Capt. of the King's Musketeers, de Treville was of equal rank to a general in the French forces - the Gustavus figure's cane lends that authority.  Second, de Treville was a contemporary of D'Artagnan's father (the cane may very well be needed !).  And third, the blue color of Gustavus' clothing ties him in thematically with the Musketeers better than does the clothing of the Laughing Cavalier (granted, neither is a "uniform," but there is a reason that Rochefort is usually pictured in red, again to fit in thematically with the Cardinal and his Guard).

Thanks for weighing in, you make a few good points. If I would get the Aldophus figure for this, I would add longer hair to the figure and some grey to his hair and beard which would hopefully be enough to change his appearance. If I'm feeling particularly bold, I might entertain the thought of adding a musketeers cross to his cape.

Regardless of which one ends cast as Monsieur de Treville, both figures are on my wishlist. :)

As for the English and the Witchfinder General - have you considered using them as Hugenots ? 

Good call. Most of them would work well for that, so it might be a good idea to get double use out of them. A couple less so, like the roundhead cavalier which I think is too obviously English.

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »
Perhaps you could find something useful among Peipfiguren 54mm, they are big 54 mm.
http://www.peipp-miniaturen.de/shop/54mm_figuren.php?go=details&k=1&m=5&p=540808&pageID=

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »
Those wagons do look useful, but for the price, I'm reluctant to gamble on the size being large enough. The K&C models are nominally 60mm, but really 66-68mm to top of head/hat, so it seems unlikely the 54mm will get that big. Do you have any idea how tall the Peipfiguren figures are?

Edit: found a blogpost stating they are closer to 60mm. Should still be too short, but they are fat, so maybe the cart drivers might work. The horses look a bit too stocky though.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:36:36 AM by white knight »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2017, 10:58:05 AM »
Having browsed their site a bit, they do have a welt of figures for the period as well as some useful accessories. I will place a small order for some accessories and maybe one or two figures to see how or if they can be made to fit. Thanks for the suggestion. 8)

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »
The Peipfiguren has a special humor and the artist is a very friendly fellow.
I agree, his horses are a little special, but remember horses then were mainly small.
I am sure, the riders can be bought separately and may be you then can use other horses, maybe from King and Country.