Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:38:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690590
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 708
Total: 714

Recent

Author Topic: Sneak peak at my upcoming 2mm Pike and Shot range  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Forwardmarchstudio

• Librarian
Sneak peak at my upcoming 2mm Pike and Shot range
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:56:07 AM »

Hi everyone,
The picture above is my 1:1 scale model Spanish tercio.  The main pike block has 540 individual pike tips.  Each square of shot has 300 models on it and the sleeves of shot around the pikes contain another 600 figures.  This model was my test for printing pike blocks.  Not a single pike, out of 540, broke in production or in transit.  I'll soon be rolling out an entire range of pike and shot units, which will include many different varieties of pike blocks for use throughout the period, as well as various kinds of shot bases.  I'll be doing some smaller ECW units with pike and shot on the same bases, for example, as well as officers and calvary to go along with the infantry.  I have an example of cavalry in depth here:

If you want you can check out my current range here:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/forwardmarchstudios

I'm always open to new suggestions for new models;  I've already created a few models based on recommendations.  In fact, I'd love hear some requests for what people are interested in seeing in the Renaissance, since it is not really a period I'm an expert in (although I have learned quite a bit recently).  My goal is to let players create battles that look exactly like the old woodcut printings of Renaissance battles which show the combinations of pike, shot and cavalry deployed in depth, for a reasonable price.  So, if you have any comments or recommendations let me know, I'll definitely taken them into consideration as I develop the range.

Offline damianlz

• Assistant
Re: Sneak peak at my upcoming 2mm Pike and Shot range
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »
I LOVE THIS! I am designing a similar 3mm ancients range. It's amazing what can be accomplished.  These look amazing. I had an idea for a pikes down front row in which the top part of the spear isn't lifted off the ground but is a rounded triangular prism.

Offline stefanov

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:19:57 PM »
I also love your piece of art. This is an excellent idea which I have been dreaming since many years now.

I am lucky to own a very old set of 2mm napoleonic army from Peter Dennis and Paddy Griffith, so I dare to suggest that to give a little movement to your 2mm blocks, you might add the odd officer in the front rank or nco back ranker dressing lines, or some nervous horse going off the battle line.

It can be done in 2mm and these additions really add a lot to an otherwise very geometric block of humans.
For examples you may just look at renaissance battle engravings.

Best
    Stefano
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:26:31 PM by stefanov »

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:21:26 AM »
Lovely stuff, they look great. :)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
These are cool for a really epic feel!

Now I want to start looking at some of those period paintings and engravings and figuring out how best to replicate that look on the tabletop...  :o

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 11:08:18 PM »
Lovely work! I love the spectacle of the 1:1 tercio. I'm working on something similar for 3mm - my printer is going through a lot of resin lately...

When will these be available for purchase?

Cheers,

Curt