Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:16:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] A song of Ice & Fire (CMoN)  (Read 8389 times)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [Kickstarter] A song of Ice & Fire (CMoN)
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
As a P.S. to my earlier post: I love mult-part plastic figures that you can arrange into an infinite variety of poses.  I have a large # of old Warhammer, Perry, Fireforge, Frostgrave, etc. figures and I love working with them.*  That doesn't mean I don't love a good single-cast figure, whether plastic, resin or metal.  I have a seriously bad case of "Oooo Shiney!" syndrome, and frankly by far more figures than I can paint.

eMills, I think the alternate-character pose is an appeal to (1) the collector in us, and perhaps (2) to dealer in us (if I pay $200 for these figures, but can sell these three alternate-pose characters for $50 on eBay, then woohoo all my swag only cost me $50!). 

-Michael

*The Mordheim mercenaries, later repackaged as Warhammer Empire militia figures, remain my favorites of the multi-part plastic kits.  Unless I misremember, those were done by one of the Perry Brothers for GW.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 04:39:03 PM »
I think I might be in on this one too, but more in a "I probably won't play it and most certainly won't paint the figures but I can always sell it and make a few bucks on the KS-exclusives" sort of way than that I'm really enthousiastic on this one.
Leadhead

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
Just to correct something I've read several places, these should not suffer from bendy weapon syndrome because they are making the weapons out of a different material, like they did with Wrath of Kings. They will be assembled at the factory (based on the renders I doubt any figure will have more than two parts so they'll still be closer to monopose on the shape limitations.) Still not sure if I'll be backing it myself because the rules seem a little too basic to me and I have a million CMoN minis already.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »
I heard that as well that the weapons will be a harder plastic than the rest of the figures. I have seen the CMON wrath of kings figures and they are stellar, so I am hoping these will look similar.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 06:37:50 PM »
As a P.S. to my earlier post: I love mult-part plastic figures that you can arrange into an infinite variety of poses.  I have a large # of old Warhammer, Perry, Fireforge, Frostgrave, etc. figures and I love working with them.*  That doesn't mean I don't love a good single-cast figure, whether plastic, resin or metal.  I have a seriously bad case of "Oooo Shiney!" syndrome, and frankly by far more figures than I can paint.

eMills, I think the alternate-character pose is an appeal to (1) the collector in us, and perhaps (2) to dealer in us (if I pay $200 for these figures, but can sell these three alternate-pose characters for $50 on eBay, then woohoo all my swag only cost me $50!). 

-Michael

*The Mordheim mercenaries, later repackaged as Warhammer Empire militia figures, remain my favorites of the multi-part plastic kits.  Unless I misremember, those were done by one of the Perry Brothers for GW.
I agree with pretty much all of this. lol

I had completely forgotten about the harder material for weapons. I have Wrath of King's figures and that is a good move in my opinion.

Appealing to resellers ("scalpers" if you will) via exclusives is my biggest pet peeve of Kickstarters, and the miniatures hobby in general.

~Eric

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 06:58:57 PM »
I rather like the look of the Lannisters and Tullys, with their ornate plate armour. It's definitely fantasy, but nothing too silly.

Though I can't stand the 'berserkers', not that they are bad sculpts at all, but I hate the idea that northerners have to have beards, axes (usually two) and no helmets. And have 'berserkers', because if you live up north going beserk helps keep you warm.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2017, 11:05:13 PM »
Though I can't stand the 'berserkers', not that they are bad sculpts at all, but I hate the idea that northerners have to have beards, axes (usually two) and no helmets. And have 'berserkers', because if you live up north going beserk helps keep you warm.

Yes, there's a lot of 'added colour' in this promotion that owes nothing to G.R.R.Martin, and a lot to the Warhammer-raised culture of the designers and marketers... 'Lannister Assault Veterans', 'Umber Berserkers' and 'Bolton Flayed Men' as categories of troops, as if these are defined in the novels... Such a load of ersatz bollocks...  ::)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 04:33:46 AM »
I'm so on the fence as to whether to pull out or not. I think maybe I will pull out. I don't really need this and am only getting it because I like GoT. Not so much into the mass battle things.
My names Beefcake, I'm a miniholic.

Edit: In fact I just cancelled, I feel a weight off my shoulders, and back into my pocket.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:37:49 AM by beefcake »

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 09:40:38 AM »
 Ha ha, I'm the opposite, keep thinking I would be mad not to jump in before it ends. Shiney!!!  ::)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 09:55:22 AM »
I'm so on the fence as to whether to pull out or not. I think maybe I will pull out. I don't really need this and am only getting it because I like GoT. Not so much into the mass battle things.
My names Beefcake, I'm a miniholic.

Edit: In fact I just cancelled, I feel a weight off my shoulders, and back into my pocket.
Damn, exactly my thoughts!
I love GoT, but fantasy mass battle is SO not my thing...
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2017, 10:16:44 AM »
Ha ha, I'm the opposite, keep thinking I would be mad not to jump in before it ends. Shiney!!!  ::)
I know. But the amount of unpainted boardgame minis I have is ridiculous!

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »
@Beefcake: The DeLuxe rulebook is a must imho, even if you don't back this ks. I won't buy this for the models alone ( bended weapons isn't the biggest problem as CMON said they'd use different plastic for them, but the detail in the plastic just isn't good enough om 28mm  unit models imho ). I bought Blood Rage for the models but the standard vikings and smaller monsters arent't good enough imho. I kept it because the big monsters are great and the game is big fun, but it made me more wary about backing kickstarters with many 28mm humans for board games.
 As this one hasn't got any interesting ks-exclusive characters ( Seneschal is fun, but the rest are varieties ) I'll stick with the 20$ rulebook and will use proxies for the game.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »
Well as people say, the Perry miniatures fit really well. Honestly though, just using Lion or Dragon Rampant with GoT themed minis might work just as well.
I was really hoping they would open up White Walkers, Night's Watch, Free folk and Giants. Maybe that will be a future CMoN KS with this IP. I'd be more tempted for that I think.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
My figures will be far more likely to appear in RPG sessions or skirmish games than a mass battle game.  Although for a while our highest level characters were involved in a war and we had a weird but fun Morheim/Warhammer/D&D mashup.   The relatively small number of figures in each unit and faction in this KS actually lends itself to skirmish and RPG games, it seems to me. 

-Michael

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2017, 07:10:02 PM »
 The Blackfish is the next stretch goal and the sculpt looks great.

The game looks to be on the smaller side of the Mass battle market to me.Not as many or big units as Warhammer.

This will be my first CMON KS project that i have backed.