Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:09:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suber's HeroQuest  (Read 12634 times)

Offline henerius

• Bookworm
Re: Suber's HeroQuest
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2016, 02:43:44 AM »
superb painting, very nice project. enjoyed the whole thread from beginning till end. Made me go through my own HQ stuff yesterday :)

Loving it!

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2016, 09:32:58 AM »
I've got another dungeon dweller, Hasslefree again. I was looking for some Chaos Warriors to provide some company to my HQ ones. I saw this one and fell in love. I first tried some colour on. Nothing too risky, classic red:

Buuuut... Honestly, I didn't see it. This is my nemesis, one of those things you see other people achieve gorgeously, but each time I try, I fail. Miserably. I simply cannot make colours work on this kind of armour.
Then I tried a totally different approach. Brass!

Not any wonder, but at least this allows me to sleep ::). Transitions look smoother in hand. They really do :?

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.es/2016/06/shiny-lord-of-chaos.html

I'm aware there's quite a difference between this sculpt and the original HeroQuest Chaos Warriors, but nevertheless I hope it can work. When I get my Pantheon of Chaos Warriors I'll get another chance to try colours again...

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2016, 09:39:01 AM »
Both look nice! For the red I recommend getting deeper shades...much deeper. You can use brown tones to shade the red, that always works well. And for more oomph for the red, you can take P3 Coal Black (one of my favorite paints) to glaze the deepest shades. That adds a more interesting hue to the red than pure brown or black.
For higlighting it works well if you approach it like NMM, so highlight it in the way you would highlight metal with bright tones to make them pop. Here's an example of what I mean:

http://paintoholic.nl/images/vlad2.jpg

So adding more contrast will really help out with the red. It helps it pop and stand out more. Deeper shades and stronger highlights. But doing red armour is a bit of a b*tch, so you're not making it easy for yourself ;)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2016, 11:18:08 AM »
Try shading your deepest red with a blue hue, like purple or even straight dark blue (mixed in with your base colour obviously). But keep it very little, or things will start looking weird. (which may be a good thing, when considering Chaos Warrriors of course lol )

The purple will really make the red pop, especially when you then highlight towards orange.

I do like the red version better than the brass one, so keep at it. :D

(but trust me on the purple...)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:20:13 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »
Try shading your deepest red with a blue hue, like purple or even straight dark blue (mixed in with your base colour obviously). But keep it very little, or things will start looking weird. (which may be a good thing, when considering Chaos Warrriors of course lol )

The purple will really make the red pop, especially when you then highlight towards orange.

I do like the red version better than the brass one, so keep at it. :D

(but trust me on the purple...)

I reckon that's very sound advice. One thing I like for red armour is a very thin, translucent coat of a bright red over a white undercoat (pre-shaded or otherwise), then a wash of purple ink/wash for the shading and a wash of yellow to pick out the highlights and enrich the red.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2017, 10:23:44 PM »
A year with no updates :( :( Need a remedy for that!

As you all may know, one does not simply walk into Hasslefree's web and leave without getting anything ;). Some time ago I just did that and, as I was browsing, I knew I had a new project in hands. I got female minis of the heroes so I can indistinctly use them. This is what I mean:

The Barbarian

The Dwarf

The Elf

And the Wizard

I mean, look at those minis, it was love at first sight, I couldn't but do this :D

Here you have with their original counterparts:

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.es/2017/08/sheroquest.html

The problem now is that I want to do the same with every game I have (ouch!)