Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:47:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Project "Beastmen" (UPDATE Feb 10 - more Nurgle)  (Read 2819 times)

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
Project "Beastmen" (UPDATE Feb 10 - more Nurgle)
« on: July 29, 2017, 05:25:39 AM »
I decided to create this thread mainly to motivate myself to continue the work. I returned to the hobby after a really long break and I am currently working on few small projects. One of them is a regiment (maybe a very small army somewhere in the future) of midhammer and oldhammer Beastmen accompanied by old Ral Partha Ettin as a Chaos Giant. Just finished first three conversions:

It was was my first attempt to use greenstuff to fill some larger gaps and try to sculpt missing element so they are a bit crude.

Now I am painting test beastmen model to find the right color scheme and waiting for some miniatures I bought here and on oldhammer fb group. Hope to post some update in a week.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:25:24 AM by RedGobbo »

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
Re: Project "Beastmen"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
Small update, test model almost painted:

I think I am gonna stick with this colors but will try to improve highlighting (still struggling with this). For now no idea on basing.

I also had some spare time and made first Pestigor conversion. I am not a fan of GW Pestigor models so I am gonna try to make some more of conversions based on Plaguebearers.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:21:53 PM by RedGobbo »

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:56:25 AM »
Lovely old figures. Really nice.

The dark brown scheme looks great on your test model. I think a touch of brassy or bronze colour (belt buckles maybe?) somewhere might provide some interest too.

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 06:31:47 AM »
very nice, will be following with great interest as i have my own beastman army to start. love the colour and conversion btw
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »
These look great!

Small update, test model almost painted:

I think I am gonna stick with this colors but will try to improve highlighting (still struggling with this). For now no idea on basing.

For further highlighting, I'd suggest using some very thinned-down Wytch Elf Flesh (or equivalent) - just for some translucent highlights on the knuckles and the highest points of other raised areas. If the paint's sufficiently thinned down, the highlights won't look too stark, even if they're on a fairly dark base colour.

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
Thanks guys, I will try highlighting some most exposed places with thinned down Wytch Elf Flesh or similar color. My most concern with highlights are the muscles, I can't acquire smooth transition between next layers. I am starting with base layer of Vallejo German Cam Black Brown and then 5/1 black brown/bonewhite > 4/2 > 3/3 > 2/4 > 1/5. Each layer with considerable amount of water but the transition is not smooth enough (it looks worse than in the pics). I could try adding few more layers but to be honest I don't want to spend few days on one model. So here is my work for now:

3 models ready, one with finished simple base. My first goal is to finish small regiment consisting of 10 gors with Ral Parta Ettin as a filler on 40x40 mm base. He was supposed to two headed be Chaos Giant but he proved to be a little bit to small for a giant so Chaos Ogre maybe. I don't really play WFB so I am not concerned with the rules.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 05:26:28 PM »
Yes, my favorite fantasy race right here!  Going to watch this project with interest!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »
These are looking great, and I like your version of the Pestigor very much. :D

[...] I can't acquire smooth transition between next layers. I am starting with base layer of Vallejo German Cam Black Brown and then 5/1 black brown/bonewhite > 4/2 > 3/3 > 2/4 > 1/5. Each layer with considerable amount of water but the transition is not smooth enough (it looks worse than in the pics). I could try adding few more layers but to be honest I don't want to spend few days on one model. [...]

Have you tried doing this the other way around? Start with the light colour, and gradually add the darker colours in bit by bit to shade. Finally, add final highlights on as needed at the end. To help the darker colours flow better, add a little bit of Vallejo Glaze Medium to the paint on your palette.

This reverse technique works well on this era of models, because the paint flows well into the chunky details of the sculpts (and I personally therefore find it easier than highlighting up, as the paint wants to run into the cracks anyway - so why fight it?). ;)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »
They look great!
Especially for someone who has been on the wagon for a few years...
:-* :-*

I really like the Pestigor conversion.
It looks much better than the GW official version.
 8) 8)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:22 AM »
Very cool. I like them a lot.

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 09:03:29 PM »
Thank you for your kind words. I have been working on my beastmens for past weeks and finally found some time to share my progress. So I almost finished first lets say regiment consisting od 10 undivided Beastmen. I also managed to paint Ral Partha Ettin aka Chaos Ogre. Some pics below (not all beasties included):

Now I am focusing on making at least 10 Pestigors, I showed you first one some time ago and here are two more with finished painting:

Two more conversions are almost ready (waiting for some green stuff to fill in the gaps) and I also started making Nurgle Ungors :).

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 10:32:41 PM »
Love the paintwork.  Don't care for the bases, but that's an irrational tick of mine :D  Lovely brush handling.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 12:03:43 AM »
Lovely work!
I have to say that my favourites are those Pestigor, great conversions.
 8) 8)

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 05:30:00 AM »
Lovely work, superb looking figures, you have a great talent sir!! :)

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »
the sluggish Pestigor conversion is really great work, even better idea !

Keep 'em coming, please.
Cheers
GS
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden