Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:06:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: All Units Engage - Snatch & Grab  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
All Units Engage - Snatch & Grab
« on: August 03, 2017, 11:37:08 PM »
Signals were received from deep inside Rebel territory. Could be two Orbital Drop Pods!
This VTOL is inbound to assess the situation and get out as quickly as possible.

The mountain plateau looks quiet...

We are playing the "Snatch & Grab" Mission from All Units Engage.
This is an asymmetrical scenario that pits a smaller elite force against a larger force of poorly trained troops.

The VTOL Crew spot one Drop Pod!

And Another....

Ambush! The light military vehicle opens fire on the VTOL, scoring an incredible 3 hits!

This is one of those classic playtest moments when the outcome is fun, but unexpected...

Taking a catastrophic Critical Hit, the VTOL goes down - exploding on impact. There are only two survivors.

The survivors (in red) are quickly mopped-up by the Rebels, bringing this game to a end on turn three.

Since our game was incredibly quick - not to mention cinematic - we reset and went at it again. This time the outcome was quite different!

In Game Two the Veteran forces managed to immediately Disembark from the VTOL.
They quickly fanned-out to start work on their Objective.

Rebel Infantry advanced, inflicting some damage to one of the Veteran Squads, pinning them down.

The Rebel Light Vehicle which had been so deadly in the first game, arrived only just in time to see the Veterans Embark their VTOL and fly away.

All the same, the Veteran Force only had just enough Victory Points to win.

The Rebels had also been busy recovering their own Objective and were just one point shy of a tie!

The Snatch & Grab Mission has more than enough decision points and opportunities to keep players engaged and victory uncertain until the game is over.

Look for All Units Engage autumn 2017 from Peabody Games!

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: All Units Engage - Snatch & Grab
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 09:38:33 AM »
Interesting write up.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »
Thank you!

All Units Engage is something the lads and I have been working on for the past year or so and it's just about ready for public consumption.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »
Looks promising, keep us updated.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 04:42:53 PM »
Will do.  :)

I'm excited about posting more as we continue to fine tune things, track down art and have fun with the project.

The next round of play-testing and draft-reading is coming up too! I'd be honoured if anyone has time to commit to read or play All Units Engage over the next month or so.

Drop me a PM if you are interested!  8)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:38:23 PM »
Looks like a great little game! Pretty much the quintessential modern/hard sci-fi scenario in my book.  :)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:49:59 PM »
That looks like fun.

What minis were you using?

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 09:53:52 PM »
That looks like fun.

I think the vehicles are GZG, the drop-pod is a Halo toy...no idea about the soldiers (but the guys with red helmets seem to be from GZG also).

This is exactly the kind of battle report/photos that I enjoy. Good luck with the game!

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 04:21:26 PM »
That looks great Peabs!

I love this ruleset.  We'll be at it again later this week with some North Africa mayhem!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 05:14:24 PM »
Looks like a great little game! Pretty much the quintessential modern/hard sci-fi scenario in my book.  :)

:D Great minds think alike! I've been writing All Units Engage because I so want to have infantry, vehicles and aircraft playing well together, even on a small table. Also, PM inbound!

Predatorpt is right. The vehicles are GZG and the drop-pod thingies are Halo Micro Ops. Same with the bunkers and the AA gun on the hill.
The infantry figures are GZG plus a single Blue Moon Robot Velon Skirmisher

This is exactly the kind of battle report/photos that I enjoy. Good luck with the game!

Thank you! It's narrative posts like these that inspired me to get back into the hobby and I guess that's how I ended up writing a thing.  ;D

I love this ruleset.  We'll be at it again later this week with some North Africa mayhem!

That's great news Gary. I am so grateful for the folks who have given up some of their time to read and play All Units Engage. So many good ideas! So many typos spotted!  ;D