Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:45:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Macrossmartin's MS Gundam Skirmish Thread  (Read 12617 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: Macrossmartin's MS Gundam Skirmish Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2017, 04:48:52 AM »
Probably the movie version heavy gear, or maybe the serpent custom. Tallgeese is more of a melee suit with a single big cannon.

But now that you mention it, a gundam kit would be a good starting place for say a Sentinal from X-men.

Found it, it's "Heavy Arms". 

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Heavyarms-Endless-Fighting/dp/B0006N149M/ref=pd_sim_21_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MA12GQN5JFZG056MDTGH

Now that's a flak machine!

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2017, 06:43:32 AM »
...Sorry for slightly hijcaking the thread, you've just really piqued my interest in this.

No need to apologise, beefcake.  :) Happy to be a wellspring of inspiration.
Operating from an abandoned US spy base somewhere in the Australian outback, Miniature Martin produces games and scale miniatures set in parallel worlds, past and future. He is NOT trying to take over the Earth. This time.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2017, 08:32:07 AM »
Found it, it's "Heavy Arms". 

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Heavyarms-Endless-Fighting/dp/B0006N149M/ref=pd_sim_21_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MA12GQN5JFZG056MDTGH

Now that's a flak machine!

Doh, that's what I meant, I was looking up heavy gear miniatures at the same time and got it mixed up in my head. Its my favourite Gundam to boot, but I prefer the regular series version, with only 2 gatlings in the chest and one on the shield. Anything beyond that starts to feel like overkill to me. This is indeed the movie version that you linked (endless waltz) so that saves a bit of my geek (otaku?) creds.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »
... In reality however, Gundam are so big compared to tanks and infantry that you could easily field them with 15mm stuff and it wouldn't look at all out-of place. ...

I can only agree, that's why I used the mentioned Gundam in my ViDe book together with 15mm minis.

see: http://www.adpublishing.de/html/fuco_updates.html
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2017, 07:31:28 PM »
I can only agree, that's why I used the mentioned Gundam in my ViDe book together with 15mm minis.

see: http://www.adpublishing.de/html/fuco_updates.html

Oh man, that's beautiful!

Doh, that's what I meant, I was looking up heavy gear miniatures at the same time and got it mixed up in my head. Its my favourite Gundam to boot, but I prefer the regular series version, with only 2 gatlings in the chest and one on the shield. Anything beyond that starts to feel like overkill to me. This is indeed the movie version that you linked (endless waltz) so that saves a bit of my geek (otaku?) creds.
I don't know exactly what all that means, but I'm glad we're on the same page.  I don't think I've ever seen a Gundam movie or show, I've just a built a few models. Someday I should sit down and watch some Gundam.  Got a starter series or movie recomendation for someone who is only peripherally intersted in Anime?

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2017, 07:53:14 PM »
I don't know exactly what all that means, but I'm glad we're on the same page.  I don't think I've ever seen a Gundam movie or show, I've just a built a few models. Someday I should sit down and watch some Gundam.  Got a starter series or movie recomendation for someone who is only peripherally intersted in Anime?

If you can stand older animation styles and clunky acting the original mobile suit gundam holds up quite well, considering its from 1979. After that "08th ms team" has the most down to earth feel and far more modern animation, mostly without resorting to Anime tropes too much, the first episode or 2 don't do the rest of the series justice though so give it a bit to see if you like it.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »
If you can stand older animation styles and clunky acting the original mobile suit gundam holds up quite well, considering its from 1979. After that "08th ms team" has the most down to earth feel and far more modern animation, mostly without resorting to Anime tropes too much, the first episode or 2 don't do the rest of the series justice though so give it a bit to see if you like it.

The movie cut of "0083 Stardust Memory" isn't too bad either, but leaves out some of the better parts of the (seven-episode, IIRC) OVA. If you can get your hands on them, the 3D/CGI MS IgLoo OVAs are well-done modern takes on the classic themes established by the original series, especially the third "season" focussing on the ground war from the Federation's POV.

Regarding the original series, it's probably best to go for the three movie cuts. The actual show is incredibly repetitive and tedious, IMHO, and I'm saying that as a huge fan of the One-Year-War universe.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2017, 11:36:21 PM »

I think 08th is on Hulu, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2017, 08:32:32 AM »
After some *bleep*ing around by Shapeways, I finally managed to get some decent prints of my 1/285 Federation AFV's... These are printed in Shapeways FXD resin.

... comparison shot with 1/400 RGM-79C:

Another candidate for the worth-watching pile: The first season of Gundam Thunderbolt, which has some of the grittiest combat yet seen in a Gundam series. (Things get a shade silly in season 2, but it's still perfectly watchable.)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2017, 02:28:18 AM »
Those tanks are quite sharp!   Quite a bit better than most small scale 3d prints I've seen.

Thanks for the additional show reco.  I watched the first 5 epsisodes of 08th tonight while waiting for the few folks who came trick-or-treating.  I'm still skeptical but it might be growing on me.  I like alot about anime and quite a few anime shows and movies, but I think there are some anime tropes that seem to be present in most anime that I'm just not a fan of. 

-Why is there so often an over-sexualized, over-spunky underaged female charachter?

-Why are the english dubs so over-the-top in expressiveness and volume range?  Too much screaming man...

-etc, etc...

Still, there's alot to like about the show -not the least of which is the great mecha fight scenes- and the storylines seem solid so I'm going to at least watch the entire first season. 

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2017, 06:17:58 AM »
-Why is there so often an over-sexualized, over-spunky underaged female charachter?

-Why are the english dubs so over-the-top in expressiveness and volume range?  Too much screaming man...

These two things put me off from watching beyond the first few episodes for a long time.

The MS IGLOO series mentioned before has a lot less of this but does have extremely uncanny valley early CG humans. Thunderbolt is less guilty on both accounts, plenty of screaming but it feels more appropriate to what is going on.

Those turned out great Martin! How did the support nub marks turn out for you? I have seen some shitty placement on those when the material was just released.

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »
Alas, one must always remember that the vast majority of Anime productions are aimed squarely at undersexed males with immature perceptions of women.  :?

Surprisingly, the first and second Gundam serials (0079 and Zeta) present a lot of female characters in serious, characterful roles; surprising and refreshing for the late 70's - early 80's. In fact, the original Gundam's ratings were apparently saved by its substantial female audience, who were drawn to its romantic sub-plots and female characters who got stuck in fighting alongside the guys. (Go Seyla!!)

Things do seem to have gone downhill somewhat since then...

Agree with YPU's comment about the appropriate screaming in Thunderbolt. Some of it came from me... That show can be a little too gritty in places!  o_o

As for the English dubbing... yes... well... that's why I'm a bit of a snob, and only watch subtitled stuff. Japanese voice actors take what they do very seriously, for the most part.

Those turned out great Martin! How did the support nub marks turn out for you? I have seen some shitty placement on those when the material was just released.

The supports weren't much of a problem, because I build a frame to which pieces attach, which lifts the print off the print bed. I did make a mistake though, trying to keep the orientation vertical; a lot of the prints came out with unusably rough surfaces where they'd contacted the supporting wax. Because I'm still a bit new at this 3D caper, I didn't realise orienting a part upside down to save on volume is a very bad idea.  :`

Some people have asked about obtaining prints. I'm going to re-orient the files so everything prints right-way-up before I offer these through my Shapeways store. Will let people know when they're available.

Tank fight tomorrow! Will report on what happens.

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »
Greetings, all!

Just letting everyone here know - Mobile Suit Skirmish version 2.0 will be released on December 15th (US time) on the Mobile Suit Skirmish Forum!

Link to MSSk Forum:
http://mobilesuitskirmish.proboards.com/

This new version comes complete with rules for balanced point-costing for Units and Armies, as well as rules for Infantry, AFVs, Mobile Armours, and all kinds of new goodies!

If you're familiar with Mobile Suit Gundam: Skirmish of the past, I think you'll be very happy with how we've developed V 2.0. If you're new to the rules, download a copy after the 15th, and I think you will be glad that you did.

And of course, the new Mobile Suit Skirmish version 2.0 will be entirely FREE to download.

Stay tuned, Gundam fans! I'll have some pics of my new Cima Garahau's Pirate force to share tomorrow!  :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:54:58 PM by Macrossmartin »

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
Alas, one must always remember that the vast majority of Anime productions are aimed squarely at undersexed males with immature perceptions of women.  :?

While modern western entertainment is entirely too preoccupied with being politically correct to be in any way fun or indeed relatable to the lives of actual human beings.

You pays you money and you takes your chance.

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »
LAUNCH GUNDAM!

Follow the link to the Mobile Suit Skirmish Forum to download your copy of the new rulebook!

http://mobilesuitskirmish.proboards.com/thread/219/mobile-suit-skirmish-rulebook-version