Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:28:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690626
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Commander for my army  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
Commander for my army
« on: August 06, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »
Good evening friends. I want to show you the miniature of the commander-in-chief of my British colonial army.
More information here:
http://Http://andrei1975.blogspot.ru/2017/08/blog-post.html

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Re: Commander for my army
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »
Beautiful!    Painting, base, its all top notch.  

BTW, a heads up, your web page is in Cyrillic.   The Russians must have heard The Brits have a new  Commander?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:32:56 PM by Smokeyrone »
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:24:28 AM »
Andrei,

Beautiful work as always!  I love that Empress command figure and have one myself, which I only hope will turn out as good as yours!

One possible nit-picky suggestion: the officer's PATROL JACKET.  These were almost always made from dark -- blue or black -- material, almost never from khaki.  Which is not to say it's completely impossible someone wore a khaki one, but I feel obliged to mention this, just in case.  But he's beautiful as is, and if you leave him that way, I'd still love to use him in a game!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 03:09:14 AM »
Thanks friends!
And at the expense of PATROL JACKET- I was guided by this photo, where it is not blue and black:

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 03:57:11 AM »
Damn fine brush work.
A.Nik-

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:58:50 AM »
Very cool!

Offline Alistair

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 07:47:55 AM »
Standard patrol jackets were in the regulation colours described, but I recently saw a khaki one like the one on the figure in the National Army Museum in London. The museum said that some officers would purchase khaki jackets privately to help cam and concealment. Rare, but still possible. All you need to do is imagine an elaborate back story for your CO involving a rich heiress back in blighty!

The museum is well worth a visit for colonial historians. Their extraordinary collection of paintings is on display in their temporary gallery space and shows some of the most famous images of war during the period. Fripp's painting of Isandlwana was a particular highlight - never realised its size in real life and wonderful to study the detail from a foot away.

Love this figure; and beautifully painted here.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 08:01:19 AM »
Great pic, Andrei, thanks for posting!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 08:14:01 AM »
Lovely figure. And great picture. I don't recall seeing a khaki patrol jacket before. It's always great to learn new things.

I love the poshteen coat the rider is wearing. As a teenager (and something of a punk/hippy) I nearly managed to get hold of one of those. We ran a jumble sale to raise funds to print a friend of mine's fanzine, and one of those coats was left at the end amongst the wreckage of donated stuff. My friend and I both wanted it, but he saw it first and "bagsyed" it. I stepped aside out of friendship and the fact that I like to consider myself a nice sort of guy, but I was rather annoyed because I really wanted it. The most annoying thing is that from that day forward he never ever wore it. If I had owned it, you would have seldom found me not wearing it. Grrr..  lol

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 08:15:37 AM »
Thanks friends. I am glad that my work drew attention to little-known facts in the uniform of the British army!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 09:39:00 AM »
Lovely figure. And great picture. I don't recall seeing a khaki patrol jacket before. It's always great to learn new things.

I love the poshteen coat the rider is wearing. As a teenager (and something of a punk/hippy) I nearly managed to get hold of one of those. We ran a jumble sale to raise funds to print a friend of mine's fanzine, and one of those coats was left at the end amongst the wreckage of donated stuff. My friend and I both wanted it, but he saw it first and "bagsyed" it. I stepped aside out of friendship and the fact that I like to consider myself a nice sort of guy, but I was rather annoyed because I really wanted it. The most annoying thing is that from that day forward he never ever wore it. If I had owned it, you would have seldom found me not wearing it. Grrr..  lol

Would you believe my mother actually bought one for me? That was in the late sixties and garments like that were associated with the Hippie culture. It 'earned' me the nickname of Scott Mc Kenzie at school which made me in-ordinarily proud. I decided to wear it till it fell of my back. Alas, it was lost in a wardrobe fire at school after a year or so.

Andrei, your figure is just lovely and I'm looking forward to see lots more of your work!
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 04:09:42 PM »
Love the figure.
May he lead the Queen's army to many victories.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 08:34:00 AM »
Dang, Andrei -- at this point I may paint my own version of that same Empress figure in a khaki patrol jacket!!!

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:10 AM »
Glad to help my friend!