Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:35:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic horse to suit Citadel miniatures?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Plastic horse to suit Citadel miniatures?
« on: August 08, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »
I'm trying to refurbish an old 4th Edition WHFB High Elf army that's come to me from a very old friend, and one of the great difficulties I'm having is finding suitably-sized plastic horses. Most of those on eBay (and the ones that I got with the models) are damaged and in poor shape (not to mention expensive!).

So I got to looking around other manufacturers to see if I could just by some alternatives, and saw that quite a few manufacturers do plastic horses that look similar to the old plain Citadel horses. These ones in the top left:

I bought some Perry WotR horses which looked very promising, but on trying them out they are too small.

To avoid just randomly buying blind/guessing again, I'm hoping that somebody might be able to suggest some that are about the right size? That is to say, that are about 5-10% bigger than the Perry ones I linked above, and in plastic if possible. Thank in advance! :)

Online Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
Re: Plastic horse to suit Citadel miniatures?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
I can't help but would like to know if there are any

Offline meyerc13

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 05:07:53 AM »
You might try the Oldhammer forum, it's possible someone there has gone down this path.  I have a few old WH40K Rough Riders that are missing tails, someday I'll need to find a source for those but haven't yet.  That and WH40K Imperial Guard/Army arms are the bits I've found hardest to replace.  I have a bunch of metal Penal Legion Troopers that are armless.  Unfortunately the arms from the newer all-plastic kits don't really work.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 05:58:30 AM »
What about these. To be honest I'm not sure myself and don't have them but have a look. Conquest games horse sprues.
http://www.conquest-games.co.uk/index.php?cPath=28_29

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:45:11 AM »
@ beefcake:

Hmm, seems the Conquest Games horses are a fair bit smaller: Link

I don't know if Crusader do any plastic horses, as their metals look to be a reasonable match. Likewise, I don't know how the Fireforge ones stack up to the old GW horses as I've only ever seen them compared to the newer (and bigger) Bretonnian horses.

@ meyerc13:

The new Genestealer Cults Neophyte kit might be helpful for arms and weapons to suit your old models. For bare muscled arms, the WHFB Empire Flagellants are also a possibililty. I have both at home, and will try and check the size/fit of the arms against some old RT human models for you tonight. ;)

Edit: Victoria Miniatures make separate arms in various styles, and these are apparently an excellent match size-wise.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:57:39 AM by Major_Gilbear »

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:57:35 PM »
I'm afraid I can't help, but I like the sound of this project. Is it the 4th edition Jes Goodwin High Elves range from the early 90s? They used those horses. Great minis, one of my favourite GW ranges. The High Elf releases from later in the 90s were even better (except for the ugly plastic horses). Yeah I used to be a High Elf player back in the old days. I'd love to see pics!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 10:53:45 AM »
@ Charlie_:

It's a 4th edition army, but some of the units are a bit small and a number of parts are damaged or missing. I have added a 4th edition unit of Silver Helms, a 6th edition unit of Dragon Princes, and a number of 6-8th edition plastic figures to make up the missing/broken models and parts. All units will be carefully chosen to be fit the 4-5th edition style where possible, and I'm planning a very basic tabletop-standard 5th edition style paintjob.

I also inherited from the same friend a Skaven army (with lots of very old mono-pose plastic clan rats of various editions), and this has a lot of old metals in it too. I have added a Screaming Bell and a Doom Wheel (the old ones!), and already have loads of the metal characters for it.

The Skaven army is actually more complete in terms of useful units and characters than the High Elf one, but the HE army is more advanced in terms of having the units prepped.

I'd like to share these on LAF, but as I will likely use the forum gallery to host the pix, I would prefer to have more finished stuff to post first.

All of this is aside, I am still struggling to get horses for the HE chariot and Reaver Knights though, hence my thread here. If I can't get any, I'll have to make do with whatever I can sensibly get, and I'm therefore worried that they won't really look right.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 01:30:33 PM »
I have four of the plain plastic horses if you're interested.

They were bought (many, many) years ago for a project that never quite happened, and they're still on their sprues. There may even be another one or two built (but never painted) lying about. I was converting catachans to horseback for a post apoc project, but never got past the first one ::)

It's unlikely I'll get back to the project, and would probably update the horses if I did, so pm me if you're interested. I'm in the UK, so postage won't be a problem

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:06:10 PM »
@ zemjw:

That would be amazing, thank you! PM sent. ;)

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »
I have added a 4th edition unit of Silver Helms

Looking back, those Silver Helms were probably the models that first inspired to get into Warhammer as a kid. I found an old white dwarf magazine (at a car boot sale I think), and the 'Eavy Metal pages were showcasing the 4th edition High Elf spearmen, archers and Silver Helms. I thought they were the best thing I'd ever seen, and I was hooked! Though when I actually went out to start my High Elf army, we were in 5th edition so those particular Silver Helm sculpts were no longer around. The 5th edition ones were fantastic, probably better, but they didn't have those cool tall helmet crests.... I always had plans to get hold of some of the 4th edition bodies (torso, head and arms were one piece) to put on the 5th edition legs and horses, but it never happened.
At this time you could order pretty much any out of production citadel model though, just find the code and give them a call... and I did get myself that awesome 4th edition charioteer with the glaive.