Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:45:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690326
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Darathar's Adventures In Westeros (New stark pikeman)  (Read 14784 times)

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Darathar's Adventures In Westeros (New stark pikeman)
« on: August 13, 2017, 11:50:21 AM »
So I started this project in 2014 after seeing Frank's and Captain Blood's legendary works but lost steam somewhere along the way... Fast forward three years and now I think its time to get back into one of my favorite projects of all time.

I'll start off with showing all the figures I did back in the day, first up is The Hound Sandor Clegane made from Wargames factory vikings, Darksword miniatures, GW and Perry bits.

And A knight sworn to house Tyrell made of Perry bits and a gondor captain finecast abomination cut up with a green stuff cloak.

He was actually lucky to make it here as he was nearly attacked while he was on the road

Next up is Darathar himself a loyal sworn sword to House Stark made from Perry, Gripping beast and Darksword bits.

and last for now is my first unit of Stark pikemen made from gripping beast perry and wargames factory bits, I plan to add some grass on the bases at some point but i'm not sure if i want dead grass or green grass :?

Thats all for now but there will be much more to come soon. I'm thinking a unit of stark archers next, i'm pretty sure i'll be using dragon rampant rules for these figures as it seems like a great way to go but i don't know yet.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 11:43:07 AM by Darathar »

Offline Byrthnoth

• Bookworm
Re: Darathar's Adventures In Westeros
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 05:16:38 PM »
This looks like a great start and I’m looking forward to seeing some more. I especially like the direwolf badges on the pikemen.

I think dragon rampant is a good fit for wargaming in Westeros. With fantasy worlds where there are a bunch of different races you sometimes end up with weird things where both elf and goblin spearmen end up as ‘light foot’, which feels off to me. With GoT being mostly humans it works better in my mind.
The ‘strength point’ approach lets you dial in how powerful you want your characters to be — i.e. is Jaime Lannister equal to six elite knights, or is he just slightly better than average? Also, the way the fantastic upgrades work as sort of garnish suits how I envision Westeros.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
Really nice start to the project!  :-*

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 10:52:54 PM »
Cracking work on the Starks and the 'Hound' isjust how I envisaged him, superb. Can't wait for more from you.
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Darathar's Adventures In Westeros (new with Stark Archer)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words everyone  :).
@Byrthnoth thanks for the advice it sounds like Dragon Rampant is the way to go for battles in Westeros.
I finished my first stark archer today i havn't based him yet as i'll mass base them when there done.

Also a couple of WIP shots of The Great Jon Umber, I put him on a 40mm base to make him stand out abit/ give him room the swing his great sword around since i remember reading its supposed to be even bigger than Ned's sword Ice.
I'm thinking of making a unit of spearmen for him to lead into battle eventually.

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Darathar's Adventures In Westeros (New With Ned Stark)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 01:30:13 AM »
Next up is Lord Eddard Stark:

He has a Perry foot knights torso and arms, a lord of the rings Easterling Kataphrakts captain cloak with green stuff, an old GW "hairy Head" sprue wolf icon (why don't they make it anymore!) and a corvis belli infinity Ariadna highlander rifleman head.
I'm going to hopefully convert the entire Stark family with Jon Snow, Rob and Bran coming soon.
Coming next for troops will be more Stark archers and some Thugs from house Bolton.

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 01:51:06 AM »
Looks like a good start!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 05:28:49 AM »
I like your Ned Stark - very good. Some nice creations there... it's good fun creating your own models from parts isn't it?  :)

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Darathar's Adventures In Westeros (New With Bolton Scum)
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 07:55:58 AM »
Thanks guys, @Captain Blood: yes it really is!  :) it's great to do a painting project where you don't have to worry about "official" miniatures and trying to keep up with rules and such.

Next up is a couple of Scum bags from House Bolton I've always imagined there's a lot of shady characters hanging around the Dreadfort. They will be the start of a small warband for House Bolton with some War dogs and Ramsay to lead them.

They are a mix of Perry HYW English with Frostgrave Cultist & Soilder heads and arms

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Darathar's Adventures In Westeros (New with Ned Stark and Boltons)
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 10:15:26 AM »
Nice.

It's a great idea - making the Boltons look a little bit like the squint-eyed men of Bree... Like they've got a little bit of something nasty in their genes...
I've mainly tried to make my Boltons look a touch more barbaric and olde-worlde than my Starks and Lannisters... But I've also used one or two of the Frostgrave cultist heads. They do have just the right icky look to them :)

By the way, I've added your thread to the LAF GoT compendium thread, so keep it up!  ;) 8)

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: Darathar's Adventures In Westeros (New with Ned Stark and Boltons)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 07:14:53 PM »
Such a noble and loyal looking Ned! Great job!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Darathar's Adventures In Westeros (New with Robb Stark)
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »
Thanks Guys, and thanks Captain Blood better keep painting ;).
Next up is Robb Stark, I'd place this version of him very early in his campaign.
I tried not using much shading on the face to make him appear younger as the perry face is supposed to be an older person.

He's made of Perry HYW english army Body and Head, arms from Perry Foot Knights and a Frostgrave soilders shield with a Space wolf transfer coloured grey - (feeling lazy today) :D.
The next Stark coming up will be Jon Snow coming very soon.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: Darathar's Adventures In Westeros (New with Robb Stark)
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 11:24:50 AM »
Good looking Robb! Your version is the closest to how I imagined him, so far :)

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Darathar's Adventures In Westeros (New with Jon Snow)
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 07:56:27 AM »
Thanks for the kinds words LordOdo!!
So after a brief break from this project heres my next addition Jon Snow:

This is the closest to what i imagine Jon Snow looks like in my head, I imagine this is probably around the time he goes out into wildling territory and meets Mance Rayder and such. Usually i would have nights watch with more chain mail but i wanted a hooded version going out into the Wilds.

He has a Frostgrave Soldiers body, FG soldiers sword arm with a GW space wolf chainsword pommel attached, a Warmachine Cygnar rangers head (which a did a real Theon Greyjoy job trying to cut off!) and a FG cultist arm with a green stuff cloak.

After taking pics of this mini I think I need to attempt to make some form of photo box to get better pics out of so hopefully it works out and i'll come back with better quality pics.

I have a mini of Ghost being painted up now so he will be coming to this thread very soon.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 08:09:42 AM by Darathar »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Darathar's Adventures In Westeros (New with Jon Snow)
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 06:16:18 PM »
I like him. Younger looking than Kit Harington. Better  8)