Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cutting 1mm slots in cardstock  (Read 1068 times)

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
Cutting 1mm slots in cardstock
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »
Hi folks,
After a suggestion for an easy way to cut 1mm slots into cardstock. I'm scratching some flat-packable card buildings, and whilst most of the joints are just u-shaped slots on each piece that slide together, some are requiring tabs and slots (almost like a mortise and tenon). I've been cutting the slots using a knife, but it'd be awesome if there was a better tool I could use.

I've tried googling but as usual without the correct terminology it's a bugger.

End result would be a hole in a thin piece of cardstock 1mm high by 20-50mm wide (width is less important).

Suggestions?
Cheers,
Si

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: Cutting 1mm slots in cardstock
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »
do you mean slots or holes?

For trench like slots you could use a router, Tho I imagine it would chew through cardstock like i chew through pretzels .

For holes, maybe a square punch?

If you have a picture of what you mean it might help :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:13:24 PM »
hah yeah, fair point I was being exceptionally vague!

So here's one of the slots from my prototype. So the tab fits into the slot and holds the building together.

https://goo.gl/photos/bx43mLT4ncFt5aE59
(let me know if that works, since google f'd around with their photos and ditched picasa I'm having real issues using it for photos)

Ta

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »
hah yeah, fair point I was being exceptionally vague!

So here's one of the slots from my prototype. So the tab fits into the slot and holds the building together.

https://goo.gl/photos/bx43mLT4ncFt5aE59
(let me know if that works, since google f'd around with their photos and ditched picasa I'm having real issues using it for photos)

Ta

Okay that worked, I get what you mean now! Maybe drilling a hole and putting a saw/cutting wheeled dremmel in would do the job?

I think a router would be a good way to go if this was larger/made of sturdier material, But if you have access to one and a small enough bit it could be worth a try?

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 09:14:57 PM »
A couple of good sharp chisels would do the job. A little 1mm one for the ends of the slots and a wider one for the long sides.

You can make a very narrow chisel quite easily from an old needle file if you have access to a grinder.

This one took me about twenty minutes to make, and gives me a chisel blade width of about 0.9mm. The sharp end looks black because it's been polished to a mirror finish, and that confuses the hell out of the scanner sensor.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:36:41 PM by Fitz »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:32:54 PM »
You can get flat-ended blades for scalpels which would do the job neatly. You'd still need to slice the 1mm across with a normal pointy blade though.

I'm thinking of these No.18 blades for the long edges, and these No.11 blades for the short ends.

In any case, you will also want a sturdy stainless steel rule as well.

I'm not sure how much quicker it would be than using a normal heavy-duty angled blade though, but you might find them more consistent (especially for smaller slots).

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 10:10:26 PM »
How about leather punches? One in this set on Amazon is 1mm wide:  leather punches

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 11:14:47 PM »
You may take a look on OLFA plastic cutters (one big, one small model):

http://www.olfa.com/plastic-laminate-cutter-%28pc-l%29/1090486.html

They are used to cut plasticard, and for this purpose, it scores a slot in the plastic card so you can snap the card and obtain sharp and straight pieces. But I believe that if you don't snap the plasticard, you can use the tool to score the plastic as you need. Not sure, but it can be an idea.

I've got one of these tools, I'll take a look in the workshop tommorow.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 12:46:40 AM »
It might to be available to you, but I suggest trying out different types of cardstock. For example, I have found this material called "Finnpappe" ("Fin(land) cardboard") that comes in many different thicknesses, is beige in color, and most importantly, is very lightweight and somewhat soft so it can be cut much easier than regular cardboard of the same thickness. I got mine from a local arts and crafting store.

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 04:51:12 PM »
Awesome, thanks for all the great suggestions guys.

From reading through I think small sharp chisels might be the way to go. The cardboard is very soft and 'm not sure those leather punches will be sharp enough to do the job without deforming the card (I presume you hit them pretty hard to get through leather).

I'll see if I have some flat ended scalpel blades kicking around, seem to remember having some somewhere. Once I have some progress I'll pop back and show you guys the fruits of my labours.

Thanks as always,
Si

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »
Amazon do some micro chisels, including a 1mm one - link

I've almost bought them a couple of times, but they're rather expensive and I could never justify the cost :-[