Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:13:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691121
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tribal Primeval Campaign - on to Scenario 2  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Mac

• Librarian
Tribal Primeval Campaign - on to Scenario 2
« on: July 27, 2017, 08:23:57 AM »
We have been enjoying the Primeval expansion to Mana Press' Tribal rules. So we decided to try out "The Hunt" campaign starting with scenario 1, Tracking.

This was also a change to try out my newly made Primeval mat, which represents the dried out ice age plains of what is now southern France.

In this scenario, a tribe of Neanderthals, led by the one they know only as "Spoke", and Wolf clan of cro-magnons must try to uncover the mammoth spoor under one of the four leafy bushes (see below).

It became quickly apparent the Neanderthal stumpy little legs did suit them to a scenario where you had to explore the table looking for mammoth poo.

In the end .

So inevitably, it came to combat. I couldn't bring myself to take any more pictures. Basically the humans were clubbed senseless by the tough little Neanderthals. The only fright the Neanderthals really got was when a wounded Skin Changer went berserk taking a few Neanderthals with him.

Scenario 2 is scheduled for next week. It is clearly a mistake to mix it with these primitive beings, I think I might need some dogs and throwing spears.

Game report on my blog: http://macslittlefriends.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/tribal-primeval-campaign-game-1.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:06:05 AM by Mac »

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: Tribal Primeval Campaign - Scenario 1
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 01:45:39 PM »
Excellent painting and a great report! I love Primeval, so many cool ideas in that book.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 03:50:32 AM »
Great looking table  :-*
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »
Love the table.
Interesting battle report.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 04:26:40 PM »
Great game, and such a lovely table!

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:31:24 AM »
Fantastic-looking game!
Can I just ask if the Primeval game is available to buy, or is it download-only- I've always wanted to give Prehistoric skirmishes a try...
Cheers!
I now have a Blog, like an actual modern-day human!
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline werekake

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 05:56:50 AM »
We've pretty much done Tribal & Primeval as download only - with a few printed copies for sale at Eureka (Aus) and cons like Salute and Little Wars in Australia.

It's a bit of a shame as the guy who did the graphic design for us (Peter, who's done a steampunk game called Twisted) is a printer by trade - and our rulebooks really do print up noice.

BUT - it looks like North Star are gonna distribute for us in the UK/US. They're printing it and will hopefully have copies available soon - really helpful good sorts! (they get +1 to their mana)

So... keep an eye out on their retail website etc.  ;)

---

Back to the game - I passed on some (possibly beardy) hints/tips to Mac about Cro-magnons (use your advantage over the neanderthals... i.e dogs!) Be interested to see how the rest of 'The Hunt' plays out.

I also like that Prehistoric mat, especially the textured elements.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
Awesome report, table and minis !!!

Inspiring !!

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 07:52:47 PM »
@Werekake: Thanks very much for the info- I'll be picking up a copy of both books as soon as Northstar make them available! Time to dig out my Neanderthals...  8)

Offline Mac

• Librarian
Re: Tribal Primeval Campaign - on to Scenario 2
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »
The first game in this campaign was a thrashing for the humans, we were down 12 honour points.

So, we sent the elders to the mountain, and they beseeched Ara (the creator god); what shall we do?

Ara spake unto them, and they returned to the tribe waiting down in the valley with his words.

They told the tribe "we must get dogs". "What are dogs?" asked the tribe. The elders weren't sure, but mumbled something about "wolves-that-don't-eat-you".

Surely a job for crazy Ela! If she get eaten, no great loss. But in fact, she returns with a pack of wolves-that-don't-eat-her. I think we are ready.

In Scenario 2, the objective is to chase mammoths off the appropriate end of the valley and into your traps. Ara (the creator god) gave us a gift in scenario one, where the Neanderthals with their little stumpy legs had to chase around looking for spoor. Here in scenario two he has smiled on us again, because chasing mammoths is surely a job for a clean limbed, upright species.

Here is the Neanderthal tribe, looking down at their truncated limbs and asking: "who thought this scenario up?"

Below is the valley, with a family of mammoths thinking about the long trek back north to the Doggerland grass plains.

To see how the hunt turned out, go to my blog. http://macslittlefriends.blogspot.com.au/2017/08/tribal-primeaval-campaign-scenario-2.html

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:08:04 AM by Mac »

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Tribal Primeval Campaign - on to Scenario 2
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 12:52:32 AM »
Ooh this is exciting! Who will win the evolutionary arms race? The Neanderthal tough guys or the Cro-magnons with their crazy imagination and enslavement of animals to their will?