Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:52:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Big Robot Toys or Kits?  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Big Robot Toys or Kits?
« on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:40 AM »
Hiya all,

Bit of an odd one that I'm hoping the hive mind can help with:

I want to build a giant robot/mecha graveyard/site of a battle (think Jakku from star wars but giant robots instead) that'll work for 6mm, 15mm and 28mm. I need some poseable robots!

I made a test model with a spare GW Kastelan robot I had and I'm actually quite pleased with it for 6mm and 15mm, but it's not ideal for 28mm too. In a perfect world I reckon I need a kit or toy, poseable and about 6-10" tall that I can break apart in strategic areas. Other than gundam (which I don't love the look of) is there anything out there? I'd like 3-5 of them, and am willing to spend up to £50 for the lot (these'll be a centrepiece to my science-fantasy themed gaming).

I'm considering getting hold of a pile of of 20" K2SO dolls because they're only a fiver, but not sure it'll work being that spindly, and 20" is bloody massive. There's a good japanese 1/12 version, but that's a touch too expensive.

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Big Robot Toys or Kits?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
Thanks mate - any ideas on any names? I got to page 15 on eBay yesterday and gave up. The closest to what I wanted in 'style' was a guntank kit I saw, but I want legs too. I wish I'd bought some of those Votoms that Hobbylink had super cheap a while ago.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 03:40:22 PM »
Search for "Frame Arms", "Armored Core", "Votoms", and "Patlabor" as well. The Destroid type mecha from "Macross" are old classics as well (a bunch got rebadged as Battetech mechs back in the day). Japanese mecha kits in general are like this, not just Gundams, and there are A LOT of different mecha series.

Tentatively based on your preference for the Guntank, I reccomend the "Helldiver" from Patlabor, and the "EXF-10/32 Griffen" from Frame Arms.

Try also putting "mecha kit" or "mecha figure" into google image search, and just skim the giant wall of thumbnails for whatever catches your eye. When you see something, open the link in a new tab to see if you can find the name and what series it's from, then take that info to ebay. There's so much out there that trying to aggregate it via ebay would be horrendous.

I just tried the google image thing myself, and found a bunch of stuff I'd be interested in that I'd  never heard of before.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:33:53 PM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 04:37:02 PM »
Thanks so much - Frame Arms in particular seems promising.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 04:46:16 PM »
I think that some Marvel supers action figures come with pieces of a Sentinel (you know the sort of thing, get the head with Wolverine, the right leg with Cyclops, that sort of thing).

I should imagine parts will turn up on ebay as people struggle to complete the whole figure...

Also, on a similar theme, I'm sure some of the Heroclix box sets had supersize figures for Sentinels, the Antimonitor and other stuff like that. Might be worth a look?

Offline Overrevdsquat

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 05:06:44 PM »
Looking at those Frame arms things - would lego bionicles work for you?

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
Sorry Scurv, missed this reply - thanks very much, I'll have a good later!

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »
way OOT weird anime crap
some of us like that "weird anime crap" thank you.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 03:07:23 PM »
Amazon has some robo sapiens for £9.99 - link

I have one of the bigger ones and it should come apart quite easily. May also be worth looking through poundland and such places, as they quite often have things that could be used.

You should also know that I've just nicked your idea :D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 03:13:08 PM »
Gundam wise the Graze series from Iron blooded orphans might also suit your taste if you want something with a bit more exposed mechanism.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 08:45:05 PM »
"Scopedog" is another good one I think and very posable.

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 12:54:30 AM »
Try also the larger scale repops of Combat Mecha Xabungle.
If you get the 1/100 items, they will yield large sections you can use in 28mm as, like many anime robots, they are terribly large, but many of them are less Gundam than Battletech in style.
Fang of the Sun Dougram also has some more VOTOMS-style, but bigger, items, which won't be much bigger when you consider their smaller scales. They cost more, though.

If you go to places like Hoard o' Bits, they have some Robogear and GW parts you can order as bitz.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 01:16:55 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone - Hobbylink had some Zaku ii for silly cheap so I've got s few of them coming my way on the cheap. In the interim I'm also bidding on some 'iron giant' toys, which might work well.

Once the super slow hibbylink parcel gets here I'll post some WIP.

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 02:04:48 AM »
Depending how giant you want your graveyard centrepiece one of the 11.5 Hasbro or 30 or 60cm K-2SO from Jakks Pacific would make a great dead super mech overlord.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 01:27:10 AM »
You might want to look in the dollar stores as well since you're trying to make terrain pieces with them. There's a lot of rather dirt cheap robots you can find that are pretty well detailed, if not well painted, that you can use. Several are designed with interchangeable parts and can be disassembled a lot more, and you can partially bury bits and it doesn't take much to work some wires and parts into it in order to make them look like wrecks and ripped apart ones.