Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:53:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689345
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gypsy Caravan  (Read 8819 times)

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 12:00:15 AM »
i did a little research a while back - after watching an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent that featured the "Tinkers"  or "Travelers" - often mislabeled as Gypsies.  my wife is aware of them from England as "Travelers"

what we think of as Gyspies - the old woman who scried for Lawrence Talbot in The Wolfman (she played by an actress whose name i love: Maria Ouspenskaya) - prefer to be called Romani or Roma people.

both are still around - and around the world.  rather than rehash the stories here, i would point the interested parties to the Wikipedia entries for both.  it was elightening for me

as to the mini's - they may be the stereotype, as Stoker used the stereotype for the novel, but i would forgive them as the intent wasn't to perpetrate a predjudice - just a good scary yarn (story)

yours

ralph
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 06:59:49 AM »
So, does the kit contain the components pictured?  That is, one horse, one seated female, and one walking male?
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 08:37:12 AM »
Yes it does, one seated female, a walking male, one horse and caravan. The other gypsy packs include some dancing girls, an old wise woman and some armed males.
I also have the old Ravenloft Gypsies as well. They blend in nicely with the Westwind ones. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 12:33:26 PM »
"The ideal solution is to have someone else paint the wagon"

I would get Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood to paint your wagon if I were you.

For undercoating you need the Rolling Stones, they would "Paint it black"
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 02:15:25 PM »
Nice one Overlord! :lol:

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 11:44:35 PM »
I have a band of gypsies - the West Wind ones, plus some converted pirates and Peninsular War guerillas.

The WW gypsy personalities feature an old woman who is holding 'something' in her right hand. Possibly a pound of liver. or it might simply be flash from the mould. If anyone has a good idea about it, I'd like to know.

Gypsies are not interested in buying or otherwise acquiring outsider children. There's a whole story arc in my novel about it.
I do all my own stunts

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 12:32:02 AM »
hello howard

Quote from: "Howard Whitehouse"
The WW gypsy personalities feature an old woman who is holding 'something' in her right hand. Possibly a pound of liver. or it might simply be flash from the mould. If anyone has a good idea about it, I'd like to know.

i know the figure to which you refer.  i don't believe it''s flash.  i would go with a nice piece of warm, blood oozing liver. :D

Gypsies are not interested in buying or otherwise acquiring outsider children. There's a whole story arc in my novel about it.

your novel?  pardon my ignorance, but what is the title?  and where would one find it?

as an aside howard, i was moving some shelving and had to shift my copy of Space:1889 - i could never resist flipping through it every time my hands on it.  after several years i finally read the credit page and saw a name i recognized.  i'd seen you at some conventions over the years and never knew i was in the presence of Greatness  :P  :mrgreen:

thanks

ralph

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 02:46:09 AM »
I am seldom accused of greatness --

The novel I mentioned is 'The Strictest School in the World', http://www.kidscanpress.com/kidscanpress/KidsCanPress_3/us_version/KCP/books/bookdetail.html?id=1823&ter=us

There's a chapter you can read.

It's the first in a series of madcap Victorian adventures for young persons (9-90). The second ('The faceless Fiend") will be out in September, and the third is about half written.

There will be German translations for our efficient Teutonic friends (I just wrote a word that MIGHT be German for 'young friends', but deleted it just in case it was PulpDeutsch for something deeply inappropriate) - H

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 09:12:05 PM »
Speaking off Gypsies my uncle has been researching the family tree for a couple of years and guess what he found. You got it it turns out that great granny married into a traveller family from Ireland. Looking back at the various birth and marriage certificates seemingly they were all actors and magicians that sort of thing.
It does explain why although everybody else in my family is tall and has fair hair and light eyes. My uncle and myself are both short and lets just say swarthy. Must be throwbacks.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Gypsy Caravan
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 12:16:35 PM »
Quote from: "Howard Whitehouse"
I am seldom accused of greatness --

The novel I mentioned is 'The Strictest School in the World', http://www.kidscanpress.com/kidscanpress/KidsCanPress_3/us_version/KCP/books/bookdetail.html?id=1823&ter=us

And a very entertaining read it is too!