Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:49:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars: Legion large scale FFG ground combat minis wargame  (Read 22000 times)

Offline orc

• Scientist
Re: Star Wars: Legion large scale FFG ground combat minis wargame
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2017, 03:55:51 AM »
Not my scale!!! but I hope they do some sceneries and buildings to use with my WEG 25mm  :D!!!!

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2017, 06:24:07 AM »
Can you not play the game using other figures? Just substitute in WTC figures and any arms race is over even before it began.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2017, 06:32:33 AM »
Agreed. I'm sure people will be flogging off the rules and cards etc on ebay for cheap because they just want the minis. So those with the minis already can get the game for a nice price and use their own.

Offline Finarfin

• Bookworm
    • FINiatures
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »
Depending on weapon ranges, that sounds doable on 4x4' :)
Reports from GenCon claimed the board size will be 3'x3' for small games or 6'x3' for full size battles.
I couldn't wait and started a Jedha mat right away: http://finiatures.blogspot.de/2017/08/one-day-build-jedha-gaming-mat.html

Regardless, I am going to remain a complete wargaming hipster and stick to my WEG 25mm  ;)
This is probably why the scale doesn't bug me at all... None of the miniatures games, neither WoTC, WotC RPG, IA nor Knight Models were in scale with my WEG/Grenadier chaps. I'm totally hyped for the new game. Core set is preordered and eyes are peeled for any news on wave 1.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2017, 11:55:07 PM »

Damn, too big a difference, I fear I am out...   :(
That's so disappointing.

That pic is definitely a shame with the IA collectors out there.  Moreso if FFG dumps IA (and I suspect they will as they got some flak for making a Star Wars "board game" since they don't hold the license for that - hence the "wargaming" rules added in).
They are about to release an app for it so unlikely. Even if they do the skirmish mode will exist forever.  ;)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline chamberlain

• Assistant
  • Hhhhmmmmmm!
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2017, 02:28:07 AM »
Primaris stormtroopers  ;D

Offline Kamandi

• Librarian
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2017, 05:12:32 AM »
Nothing new under the sun. About 20 years ago, the chap from Global Games (Legions of Steel, Inferno. etc.) took me aside at a Gen Con and showed me something he was working on - an Imperial Stormtrooper in 1/48 for a licensed Star Wars skirmish game. Sadly he could not make it work but it's interesting that it has taken so long for Star Wars in 1/48 to surface again. Lucasfilm licensing has always been weird apparently. They insisted WEG  do their figures in 25mm with "realistic" proportions.  Compared to 4oK they were puny, boring and sold poorly.
"Something had happened in the dim past...! A natural disaster coupled with Radiation! The people in the bunkers lived out their lives and died dreaming of a day of return---The radiation would be gone---and the world would be left waiting---"

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2017, 06:43:27 AM »
Nothing new under the sun. About 20 years ago, the chap from Global Games (Legions of Steel, Inferno. etc.) took me aside at a Gen Con and showed me something he was working on - an Imperial Stormtrooper in 1/48 for a licensed Star Wars skirmish game. Sadly he could not make it work but it's interesting that it has taken so long for Star Wars in 1/48 to surface again. Lucasfilm licensing has always been weird apparently. They insisted WEG  do their figures in 25mm with "realistic" proportions.  Compared to 4oK they were puny, boring and sold poorly.
I wonder if that was due to Lucasfilm not anticipating where the wargaming market was headed. I find it odd that FFG did not let the 2 games swap pieces about. I wonder if Disney had a part in that or if it was some plan to get people to buy into two games? Puts me off two games personally.

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2017, 06:51:56 AM »
They insisted WEG  do their figures in 25mm with "realistic" proportions.  Compared to 4oK they were puny, boring and sold poorly.

IMHO I think that's a little harsh - the WEG sculpts, while small are full of character and capture many of the leads particularly well. The Stormtroopers are excellent. Honestly I like them, they are are nice hand sculpts from another era, whereas most things are soulless digital sculpts now. Each to their own though of course.

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline Machinegunkelly

• Scientist
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2017, 09:17:22 AM »
Just out of curiosity are there any company doing "not stormtrooper" heads for 28mm? Not that I would buy them of course I was just wondering.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2017, 10:17:42 AM »
Just out of curiosity are there any company doing "not stormtrooper" heads for 28mm? Not that I would buy them of course I was just wondering.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/141711268902

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2017, 01:48:57 PM »
I went to Gencon and while I could not get near enough to the demo to really see/hear the rules, I saw the models.  They are larger than Imperial Assault, but honestly ... not by much.  I think that photo shown is a bit wonky.  Should also mention, the base size is thicker. 

Does preclude you from using your IA models in Legion, sort of.  I can see a few short stormtrooper jokes floating around -- see if anyone can spot the Luke disguised as a stormtrooper within all of those Legion troopers.

The models really did look good -- I thought the rebels looks especially interesting.  No vehicles shown yet, other than the Not AT-ST the rebels have, but considering that tank that came with the IA expansion, we really can't complain too much about proper scale.  And for what these are worth, I even have some crappy pictures taken through glass and from too far away.  Again, look at the thickness on those bases compared to the IA models.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0WPMNpDGmRTbWtMZ1hvN0pPQWc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0WPMNpDGmRTcGtHdlM0Um1keU0/view?usp=sharing

PS -- at work, and too busy to figure out how to share the pics properly, so just click them :)

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »

;)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2017, 03:17:45 PM »
Thanks for the links and the pic upload guys - good ones considering they're through glass.
The bases ARE thick, but the models do seem rather nice - the walker, in particular, seems nicely detailed and well proportioned and as scrawny as it should be rather than having thick, clumsy legs.