Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:08:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars: Legion large scale FFG ground combat minis wargame  (Read 21687 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Star Wars: Legion large scale FFG ground combat minis wargame
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
"Nobody puts my Wookie in a corner!"
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »
"Nobody puts my Wookie in a corner!"

lol lol lol
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2018, 03:03:36 PM »

Is it me, or does it look more like Patrick Swayze

I was thinking Malcolm Reynolds.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
If there's one thing it's not, that's cheap.

That was kinda my point - these bendy plastic minis cost pennies to produce, so really you're paying for the cards, not the miniatures.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »

Is it me, or does it look more like Patrick Swayze

Definitley look's more like Pat than Harrison.  Weird, but almost cool.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2018, 08:43:49 PM »
While I had assumed the scale change from Imperial Assault was purely to ensure both games were not compatible (thus requiring more purchases), could it actually have something to do with licenses? After all, both the type of game and scale seems to be a major factor in those, so while Imperial Assault (officially a board game) could be 28mm, they had to go larger or smaller for Legion? (Either because a 28mm miniature game was off the table, or even because compatability between both was not allowed.)

Not saying FFG won't be tricksy in the hope of making more money out of it. I've got a decent X-Wing collection, and the upgrade card system made me lose interest in Legion quite quickly. Fine for casual games, but I won't enjoy working with the models (material mostly) enough to warrant a purchase. I also really don't get the dice thing; if they'd increase the price of the starter box by a tenner and included all necessary dice, nobody would care in the slightest, while this just feels disappointing.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2018, 09:54:03 AM »
Having just played my first couple of games this weekend, I must admit that, after first being sceptical, I actually really like the game.

Obviously, it's in the by now classic FFG style, with specific dice you don't get enough of (this also was the case with X-Wing), upgrade cards which are the core of the game and so a must have (adhering to their tried and trusted sales schemes of course) and game specific rulers.

But I just like the great finish they have for all of their games, which (for me at least) adds to the enjoyment of the game. And the game mechanics are just nice and simple, so it can be a great gateway game.

It's just that I already own a large amount of WotC Star Wars miniatures, which I'm in the process of repainting, so I'm not interested in getting yet another scale of miniatures. I had the same thing with Imperial Assault, and these are obviously worse in the compatibility department (although they're nice enough minis in their own right).

So I'm probably going to buy into this game, but will be either avoiding the miniatures or flogging them. And I'll have to be more strict with myself than I have been with X-Wing; that started out with a box and a few expansions, and I'm now nearing 100 ships ::)

Yes; it might be a good idea to start creating the Photoshop templates for Legion cards already...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2018, 11:36:53 AM »
Obviously, it's in the by now classic FFG style, with specific dice you don't get enough of (this also was the case with X-Wing), upgrade cards which are the core of the game and so a must have (adhering to their tried and trusted sales schemes of course) and game specific rulers.
IMO only the dice are a problem. The movement sticks and range sticks (4x 6” increments) can be easily substituted by good old range ruler. For all the marker any generic marker would also do it.
Upgrade cards etc. can be just printed on a summary. I was actually loving out loud when I realized that there is a card, just get add an additional trooper to a squad. FFG is really overdoing it.  ;)

It's just that I already own a large amount of WotC Star Wars miniatures, which I'm in the process of repainting, so I'm not interested in getting yet another scale of miniatures. I had the same thing with Imperial Assault, and these are obviously worse in the compatibility department (although they're nice enough minis in their own right).
So I'm probably going to buy into this game, but will be either avoiding the miniatures or flogging them. And I'll have to be more strict with myself than I have been with X-Wing; that started out with a box and a few expansions, and I'm now nearing 100 ships ::)
Yes; it might be a good idea to start creating the Photoshop templates for Legion cards already...
Yep the scale sxxxs.
As for Photoshop, see above - IMO only necessary if you want to play in tournaments, and there you are maybe rejected if using copied cards…
;)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »
All good points but for one thing; I'm with Elbows on the whole Holistic Gaming take. ;)

Which means I want all the pretty side dressing matching the game I'm playing. That means dice, rulers, tokens, cards etc. So ideally, I want the original dice and cards, as there already are acrylic tokens available I saw. The original (movement) rulers are nice, with moulded on detail matching the ranges on the cards, so even though one could get subsitutes in acrylic or MDF, in this case, only the originals will do.

As for the cards: It is extremely unlikely that I will ever play this game in a tournament, so disqualification because of homemade cards is not an issue. But as stated above; I'd really like the gaming aids to be as nice as possible, so original, or as close as possible to original cards are part of that.

And even though I'm not against buying my required cards from resellers, I'd also like the opportunity to create my own units and make the corresponding cards, for which I'd be needing those templates of course.

Oh; and I completely agree with you on the +1 trooper cards; that's just naff. They could have taken a clue from Warmachine, where bare unit costs are stated, plus the costs of each possible add-on, all on one card... ::)

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2018, 05:26:02 PM »
We played another game of Legion this afternoon, after playing the basic game we added extra troops and heavy weapons and more command cards. I think it works really well, play easily and is good fun! Here's an AAR of this afternoon's clash: http://stormofsteelwargaming.blogspot.com/2018/07/I-am-your-father-star-wars-legion-AAR.html

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2018, 12:13:05 AM »
Excellent AAR on your blog.
Will be playing the basic game in a few days.
Have to finish a few figures.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2018, 08:18:08 AM »
Thank you, there is a longer AAR a couple of posts down n the blog, but that one was only using two squads each of five troopers and a commander each. It's an excellent game, but really needs more figures/units I think.