Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:02:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691091
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ozark Mountains Moon Shiners – Granny and Pops go to Town Game 1  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
This is a game I ran a while ago as a co-op game with two of us against the rule system. It was a bit of a disaster for Pops and Granny but an enjoyable game never the less.

I have posted the 2nd game here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=103404.0

And the 3rd game here - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=103611.0

This is the background fluff.

You are a small family who live in the Ozark Mountains in Virginia and are moon shiners, you “only go to town about twice a year” to sell your moonshine to Jack Handsome who runs a bar in Horseman Flatts, the only bar for miles around. You will stock up on food from Horsemans Deli where you are good friends with Molly who runs the Deli. Your food will be in crates in the back room of the Deli, the basics have not changed in many years and she knows when you will collect it. The other urgent requirement is fuel which you get from Jeramiah Pile, a strange old man but again you have known him for many years. He will have your fuel in drums locked in the barn next to his garage, the keys are usually hung up on a nail in the garage. Lastly, Daisy May wants to meet up with her boyfriend Tank, he is the watchman working at the container yard and usually sleeps in the watchman’s shed by the gate into the yard.

Your family is Pops, Granny and the 3 young uns, your grand children, Betsie May, Ellie May and Daisy May, their parents died in a car crash while being chased by the revenue men and they have lived in the mountains with you ever since, moon shining is in the blood. Here is a picture of them taken just before this trip, all happy and smiles, well Pops and Granny don’t smile much, but you know what I mean.

Pops is the head of the family, in name at least, both he and Granny trained in Kung Fu when they were young and still have the knack of it, he isn’t afraid to punch anyone on the nose. He is as brave as a lion where his family are concerned but unfortunately as dumb as a bean.

Granny well “everyone knows she’s the brains behind Pa, she says she’s 68 but you know she’s only 64” she leads and he follows, she still has the knack of the old kung fu fighting but not very brave as befits an intelligent person.
Betsie May the eldest, is also the leader of the young uns, she takes after Granny with the brains and Pops with the bravery but she can’t shoot or fight for toffee.

Ellie May, the middle un, on the other hand can fight and shoot but is chicken, she is gaining in confidence recently but needs the steadying influence of Betsie, or even Daisy to stand her ground but then she wont budge.

Daisy May the youngest, coddled by the family all her life she is the liability in every respect but one, as brave as Pops will stand up to anyone or anything but does not have the skills to deal with what she has stood up to.

You have the red pickup and a rusty truck, either of which takes 3 people, the truck contains the hooch which will be unloaded at the bar and then filled up with food for the return trip and the pickup which has the empty fuel drums that will be replaced at the garage.
You are travelling at night and will arrive in Horseman Flatts at daybreak, before the police are up and about, you have a set sequence of days to come to town and the guys you are going to meet know that you are coming, how ever, and there always is an how ever, you usually make a trip down to the valley on the night before you go to town and make a phone call from the diner on the main road to Jack and confirm everything. This time the diner was empty, looked like it had been abandoned in a bit of a hurry and worse the phone line was dead. Could be that business was bad and they had just moved on but it left you a little uneasy. You have decided to take some back up, Pops and Ellie have pump action shotguns, Granny a side by side shot gun and a knife in her boot top, Betsie a machine pistol and Daisy a big ass sub machine gun, you have licences for these and if locked in the cab of the vehicles the police will be happy, not happy about the moonshine though.

This is Horseman Flatts

The garage with the fuel is on the east (right) side of town the 2 corrugated sheds facing each other, the barn with the fuel is the 2nd building on the right just before the garage.
Jack Handsomes bar is further down the garage road on the left hand side, opposite Stinkys pizza place. You have to turn left and left again to get onto the forecourt. There is a visible poster on the wall and air-conditioning unit on the roof and it says BAR over the door, which is a bit of a give away.
Horsemans Deli is the building in the far left of the town, the only 2 story building.
Tanks watchman’s shed is on the left (west) of town by the gate leading into the container yard.

You are a little worried and so might not take your usual route in to town so you need to decide:-
a) Which road you will drive in on.
b) Who is in which vehicle.
c) What is their itinerary.
d) Groups can split into smaller ones, so you could send Daisy off to see Tank on her own, or you could keep everyone together.
e) Will you carry the guns and risk to police or leave them in the trucks.

You normally finish up with a pizza at Stinkys to celebrate, sounds easy. You didn’t think it would be that easy, did you? Well yes I kinda did. Extra points for naming the film the quote is from, and the two songs that the words in “red” are from.

The rules call for activation each move and not everyone will activate, the better the leader is the easier it is for them to move and react to things, if the leader acts the rest of their group does – well usually.

Last but not least, you will always help your friends and in spite of the moon shine are quite law abiding.

.....To Be Continued ........

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:06:39 PM by Vagabond »

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ozark Mountains Moon Shiners – Granny and Pops go to Town AAR
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:42:38 PM »
This is looking interesting....I'm settling back with some sippin' whiskey to enjoy it.

As for the song, well I've got a head full of ideas that are driven' me insane ;)

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 11:02:25 PM »
Ozark Mountain Moonshiners Game 1 or should that be – Game On.

The Hillbillies are arriving in town in a big truck with Granny driving and Daisy May and Ellie May as passengers followed by Pops and Betsie who is driving the Red Pickup.
The truck has the hooch onboard and this has to be offloaded at the bar, you need to find Jack Handsome to accept and pay for this. Then you need to collect the food from Horsemans Deli, finding Molly so you can pay for it.
The Pickup has empty fuel barrels, these need exchanging at the garage for full ones, you need to find Jeramiah to pay for them and then you need to find Tank, Daisy Mays boyfriend.
Then have a celebration Pizza at Stinkeys before going home.

This is Horseman Flatts very very early in the morning, the Blue spider line is the route Granny’s party took, the weird X is the best I could do with the mouse pad and indicates the major events. The Brown spider trail is Pops route. The yellow dots in a clockwise direction are:- Tanks Shed, Horseman’s Deli, Jack Handsome's Bar, and Jeremiah’s garage.

The view from the south, it all looks very bare, I need more junk around the place. This was the initial setup plan, the night before the game, I did manage to get some more junk on for the actual game but not enough.

A general view from the West, left side of the board, key points are The Garage, the 2 sheds centre and furthest away, The Bar left centre, the Deli Left foreground and Tanks shed, the little building left of the containers.

Turn 1 - The Billies make their 1st move, Granny, Ellie and Daisy lead in the big truck, they are aiming to drive round to the bar and drop off the hooch before going on to the Deli for the food. They do not see the strange figure with the shambling gait who wanders out into the middle of the road. Gawd Damn mutters Pops as Betsie who is driving the pickup, slams on the brakes to avoid him/it/what, and they screech to a halt, only feet from him/it/what. Looks drunk to me says Pops to himself, no one else seems to listen to him much these days.

Turn 2 – Granny speeds on down the road, oblivious to what is happening behind her, she does see a drunk on the sidewalk ahead at the junction, strange at this time of morning but hell it’s good for business if the guys in Horseman Flatts are drinking so much they are still staggering down the road at this time rather than being tucked up in bed.

Betsie is trying to start the pickup after her emergency stop and the wild eyed man is gazing at her through the window, a bit off putting especially as she realizes he seems to have a lot of blood around his left eye, and is right leg and arm seem to be hanging a bit loose, wonder if he has been run over by a previous truck!!, maybe we should get out and help him.

Turn 3 – Granny turns the corner at the end of the road and she and the girls get out of the truck, there are a couple of bikers lounging on the street corner, they exchange hellos.
Things have taken a peculiar turn and 2 other strange drunken men have run (at a slow shamble) out of the terrace of houses and are now banging and tearing at the car, slobbering over the windscreen and trying to get in but they seem to have trouble understanding how the door handle works. Betsie May finally realizes something is seriously wrong here and cowers back in her seat, transfixed.

Granny and Ellie May, exchanging “Hi”s Betsy May walks over to talk to the drunk by the sidewalk and realizes his head is on one side, his neck is broken so badly that he can not support his head, what the hell is going on he must be dead with that injury but he is walking about. “WALKING DEAD” !!!!!!!

Turn 4 – Pops gets out of the truck. Umm is this a good move!!! Hey you he shouts, stop drooling on my truck, “Brains” is the only this the creature responds with, so Pops chambers a round and blows the nearest creatures brains out, all over the sidewalk and worse than that over the hood of the truck, damn, there’s going to be trouble he thinks.

Turn 5 – Granny and Ellie pull the truck around onto the forecourt and enter the bar, Bad news there is no one home and it has been looted, wonder if Joe is OK, if not who is going to pay us for the hooch what do you think Ellie, ummm says Ellie.
Just out of picture you can see Daisy Mays blonde head, she decides that the dead should be lying down and blows the walking deads head off, it obligingly become the lying down dead.

Daisy Mays dead zed.

The two remaining zombies for that is what they are Pops, not drunks, rush slowly around the truck and attack Pops, not a good move for them and with his Kung Billie Fu he drops them to the ground with a couple of chops and a neat spin kick, neat for someone of 68. Bugger this for a game of cowboys, come on Betsie lets get a move on he says climbing back in to the truck.

Turn 6 – Things are looking up for Granny’s crew, the 2 bikers have decided to help out and also she has found Jack Handsome, he was hiding in the building next door to the Bar, he still wants the booze and has the cash ready. Another of those zombie creatures is approaching and Harley Davidson goes to deal with it.

Pops and Betsie drive to the garage to get the fuel and Jerahiah is waiting, he gives them the low down on what has been happening, a zombie outbreak, no idea what it is about, some talk about experiments up north that have gone wrong, but the buggers are all over now, quite a few in town, the law seems to be losing the fight and the National Guard have been called out, not seen them round here though he mutters.
They load up the fuel quickly and Jeramiah refuses Pops offer of a lift out of town. If I turn my back some thieving son of a gun will take all I have built up over the years. I’ll stick it out here thanks. This is maybe not his best decision ever.

Still offloading hooch.

Still offloading hooch.

Still offloading hooch but Pops and Betsie have got the fuel and are driving round to see if they can find Tank, they stop and shout over to Granny and tell her what Jerry said, yes Jack has been filling us in on the details, sounds bad, we have killed a couple of the monsters and there’s more about. We will get the food next and be ready to go as soon as possible, Ok replies Pops and they drive on.

Turn ? lost track but must be about 9 – Granny and the girls enter the Deli looking for Molly and the food, it should all be ready and waiting, unfortunately Molly is gone, the place is in uproar, they have discovered  looters in the process of cleaning out the place, everyone goes for their guns and hells teeth the looters fire first. Granny and Ellie go down out of the fight, bleeding bad. Daisy just stands there, the shock is too great. What was turning out to be an easy day in town has just gone down the pan. The two Bikers, Vincent and Harley shoot two zeds and there is a lot of noise, the situation is going to Devcon 1, or is it Devcon 3 whichever is the one where “the sh*t has hit the fan”

Pops and Betsie park the pickup and head round to Tanks shed. The girl to the left of the picture is Chardonet who has been running around in circles looking for a place to hide for the past few moves.

This is the situation at the end of turn 9 after zed generation. The looters, Big Dave, Desire and Fat Willy are shown on the roof because this building is solid and the roof does not come off, which is a shame because all the others do. The fight is taking place inside and the Billies are in there too, although they probably regret going in now. The zeds are on the roof of the other building because I could not be bothered to lift it off and put them inside as they would be coming straight back out next turn, - sorry

Continuing asap

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:08:30 PM by Vagabond »

TikiCoast

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 12:05:13 AM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:08:41 AM by TikiCoast »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 12:51:03 AM »
Wonderful scenario, but I wonder whether the police would really be happy if they were "locked in the cab of the vehicles". I've known a few cops, and they don't enjoy being confined any more than anyone else does.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 01:16:12 AM »
Fun, as always. I like the Steve Earle and Dylan references  lol lol
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Old-N-Busted

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 08:19:57 AM »
Zombies V Moonshiners sound like an idea for a new film love it :-* "Ma pass me my squirrel gun and one of them moonshine molotov,s there,s more of them Z,s out back of the cabin"
Well said Agshard we"ve never really liked the Yull have we? vicious buggers-fluffy too. Space Captain Smith Vol 2

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »
That's a great game report. I really like the detailed background story, and the moonshiners are fantastic. I can't wait to see how it all ends (I'm afraid badly for the Moonshiners).

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »
Doug - your mention of sipping whisky got me started on the Calvados and things started to get a little fuzzy here, so it's your fault that I didn't get the complete game posted, that and the fact its so flipping long.

FierceKitty - It must be the black leather and handcuffs, syntax all over the place. Sorry will try to do better ;)

Lon - it must be an age thing, the guy I played this with didn't get the references at all, but he was 20 or so years younger than me. What about the film, although I'm not sure I got the quote quite right.

TikiCoast Donald and Old and Busted - thanks for the encouragement.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 09:57:34 AM »
Continuation -

An overhead view of the same scene

Turn 10 – Pops and Betsie find Molly the Deli owner in Tanks shed but Tank is not there. She ran from  the looters and has been hiding for a few hours now, wondering what to do and when Pops suggests she join up with them is only too willing to accept his offer.

Turn 13 – sorry lost a bit of time here, things getting tense and forgot to take photos. To catch up Turn 11 the looters shot Daisy who was out of the fight but not dead. The big group of zeds came streaming out of the square building.
Pops Betsie and Molly went in to the big corrugated shed, inside were 2 National Guardsmen making very amorous advances to Wang Mei, she is the daughter of the Kung Fu master who taught Pops and Granny so many years ago and is Pops favourite person, who is not a Billie, in the whole world, there’s going to be blood on the floor here.
Turn 12 – Looters thinking about life the world and what they are going to do next (in other words were inactive.) Zeds continued streaming. Pops shot 1 of the guardsmen, but the other returned fire and Pops was down, things are really going down hill fast.
Turn 13 Molly and Betsie run out of the shed one side, the remaining national guardsman runs out the other, Pops lies in a pool of blood and Wang Mei tries to help him but decides he must be dead.
The Zeds are swarming around the Deli.

Over view of swarming zeds, Harley and Vincent by the truck, shooting zeds and thinking it’s gone very quiet in the Deli, I wonder what has happened to the girls and there seems to be a lot of zeds about and we have a truck right here and it would be a shame to loose such a nice truck and maybe we should see how well it drives …. Pops and the dead National Guardsman and just to the north of them is the other guardsman in the corner by the wall and he is thinking, beam me up Scotty.

Turn 15 – lost 14 but Wang Mei, Molly and Betsie ran from the corrugated building and here in 15 are being attacked by a gang of zeds, Wang Mei kills the road worker in the yellow hat.

Desire, Fat Willy and Big Dave decide that even though they have just shot Granny and the girls they can not leave them to the Zeds and start dragging them back through the Deli, the zeds still have not figured out how to use door handles and remain milling around outside. There were 2 of us playing this cooperatively against the rules and my mate said, I think the looters might save the girls from the zombies. Fat chance I thought. But as the figures have a characteristic to do exceptionally good or bad things, we rolled some dice and surprisingly they decided to rescue the girls from the zombies.

Harley and Vincent “Black” Lightening jump in the truck and make an escape.

General overview of situation some time around then. There seems to be an awful lot of zombies hanging around.

Turn ???? Wang Mei is killing another zed Molly finds a little girl in a garden shed and Betsie runs in to a house in a desperate bid to find Tank and try and retrieve something from the situation.

Zeds finally break in to the deli but it’s empty, the looters behaving out of character (good dice roll for Granny) carried the 3 Hillbilly women off to safety, blood streaming from gunshot wounds but better than being eaten.

Fades to black as the girls run away from the Zombies and also escape.

Well to sum up, this started off as a complex series of events and tasks and was going very well, 1st 2 tasks completed and then it all went down hill Granny Ellie and Daisy shot down and now dragged off gawd knows where by bad ass looters, the truck stolen by bikers. Pops left for dead, the pickup with the fuel left behind, no food and they did not find Tank. Only Betsie May survived, luckily she has 2 friends Wang Mei and Molly with her plus a dead weight child, who is looking a little grey around the edges, Uhh :?

If you are still here you have a lot of stamina - Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:02:35 AM by Vagabond »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
If you are still here you have a lot of stamina - Thanks for reading

Easy reading and great fun!

Another magnificent Vagabond tale. I really enjoyed this and the set-up looks great too. Shame about the moonshiners, they didn't seem to do too well! It feels a bit like a movie with an ending suggesting a sequel? Granny's Back (and this time it's personal)!

Sippin' Whisky and Calvados, you boys know how to live! Only lunchtime now but it could be Pimms O'Clock later.   ;)

Had a go at your quiz and put the answers in tiny text so as not to spoil it for others. Not sure if I'm right?

Copperhead Road
Maggie's Farm
Kill Bill
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:18:16 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 03:37:01 PM »
Awesome!  ;)

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 04:05:17 PM »
Spot on with your answers Mi Lord :D

There is a sequel, Betsie May went back the following day to find Granny and bury Pops, it was an even longer game with a a longer AAR, needs a good editing :(

Wolf girl - thanks I've missed your AAR's lately hope you are still getting plenty of games in.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 04:27:45 PM »
Excellent terrain and figures, and a fun story! THANKS for posting.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »

Vagabond, a very fun and original game as always, CONGRATULATIONS!  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)