Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:15:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1835 US Infantry Company - Seminole War  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Goliad

• Librarian
1835 US Infantry Company - Seminole War
« on: August 21, 2017, 01:21:02 AM »
I have been trying to tidy up loose ends before moving overseas - but got caught up in one last painting project before the move. I just had to have some US infantry for the Seminole War (but they can also serve in Texas and against Canadian Patriotes who were causing trouble on the northern border in the mid 1830s).

The unit is based around the excellent Boot Hill Miniatures US infantry but I wanted some more variety so recruited some Boot Hill New Orleans Grays (NoG) and Old Glory Seminole wars (which come with separate heads!) The figures have slight size and uniform differences but this does not worry me given the state of logistics in Florida - if anything this lot is too uniform! (Must be early in a campaign). Fortunately the Old Glory figures while smaller than Boot Hill have muskets that are about the same size as the Boot Hill miniatures, and the heads are a good match.

L to R: Boothill NoG w/ OG head; BH Red Rover; OG; OG; BH; BH; BH; BH NoG w/ rifle replaced by Musket

L to R: BH NoG w/ OG Cap; BH NoG w/ OG Cap; BH; BH; BH w/new hat; BH; BH NoG with new Cap

L to R: BH Red Rover w/OG Cap; BH; OG w/BH head; OG w/BH head; BH; OG; BH NoG w/ OG Head; BH

All Boot Hill minis with some hat swaps

L to R: Artizan w/OG head; BH; BH NoG w/ OG cap

Thank goodness for OG separate heads!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: 1835 US Infantry Company - Seminole War
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:20:54 AM »
They work very well together, hard to spot the differences. I really like some of the head swaps as well. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »
They look great,the old glory heads seem to fit very well  :)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
Artizan also have a small Alamo range that might be useful.

https://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?man=3&cat=142&page=1
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 03:29:05 PM »
excellent work and a very interesting period.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »
Great minds think alike!  I have been wanting to get into Second Seminole War but trying to decide which manufacturer to go with.  My initial thought was to just use Boot Hill as the figs are so nice,  but  unless you go mostly with militia, I didn't really feel like there were enough army figures without using a lot of doubles (which I hate doing.) Thought about Old Glory as well, but unable to find any pictures on the Internet, so your post is very useful. After seeing your photos, I personally wouldn't mix these figures in the same unit, but I would definitely do them in separate units on the same table.  I might do Boot Hill for the army and Old Glory for the Marines.

Couple of quick questions you may or may not be able to help with: for the Old Glory figs, are there any real differences between the army and dragoons figures in terms of poses?  Do you have any photos of the mounted dragons?  Do you have any photos of the maroons? (I saw a comment someplace  that there was no real difference between the Seminoles and the maroon figures.)  Thanks much for this post!  Would love to see more of your work as it progresses, and I will try to do the same...

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 12:33:34 AM »
I don't know anything about this war or the period but your mixture of figures looks great, and I like the uniforms. Would be great to do a few as a break from Napoleonic red white and blue now and then...
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Goliad

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 07:53:47 AM »
Thanks for the comments all. Axabrax, apologies for the lack of response. I do not have any of the OG dragoons but I know when I was doing searches to see what the figures looked like there was an old Lead Adventure post of some nicely painted dismounted dragoons (which pushed me to chance buying the OG infantry). Honestly I don't like the OG regular infantry - some of the poses are good and the separate heads are useful but with the lot I received the casting and detail was poor (making more work for the painter!). I have happily used OG in other projects and been pleased but these did not meet my expectations. I had planned just to do an OG regular unit but went back to square one and focused on the Boot Hill minis.